Buying a 2500 for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orin

Reaction score
Ram Year
'09 2500 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello!

I'm looking to purchase a 3/4 ton to tow an enclosed trailer for a move up to AK. The trailer could be loaded up to 7000 lbs max. If there is payload left in the truck we'll probably try and load up the bed as well. I'm looking at gas engines since I don't want to deal with a diesel in cold weather. Also hoping to keep the price under $20k, which seems to put me in the middle of the 3rd gen series here in Colorado.

So, just looking for any advice on specific things I may want to look for or be aware of when shopping for a 2500 equipped for towing. After the move the truck won't be a daily driver, but would like to buy an in bed camper for it at some point.

Thanks for the help!

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a big fan of 3rd gens but not the 545rfe for towing.

I have a 2004 2500 and it doesn't have a true OD off to keep RPMS up for towing.
Unless you like to hear a tranny hunt.

If it's just a one time tow, your fine and payload shouldn't be an issue.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For around $20K you should be able to get into a early 4th gen gas? I'd be damned if I would pay almost $20K for a 15 year old 3rd gen gas truck.

With that said, at the age of a 3rd gen I would be looking at the front end closely. If they haven't been replaced you are probably looking at ball joints, hub bearings, tie rods, steering linkage, etc. in the not too distant future. That is one of the weak points of those trucks (from my personal experience)
I would seriously try to get into as new a truck as you can, even if that means saving a little bit longer before you purchase.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
If you want the weight capacity to load the bed AND tow heavy, plus the future option for a slide in camper, I’d look to a 3500. If you don’t want to deal with duals then a 3500 SRW is ideal. And get an 8 foot bed.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
An early 4th gen 6.4L gas 2500 should do the trick.