Buying a power wagon just because it’s bad @$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just like the title says. My thoughts are the power wagon is a bad @$$ factory truck. The mpg sucks and I’m sure most people don’t use it to its fullest but buy them anyway. I’m sure if I pick one up that I won’t be doing any crazy off road or mall crawling (too old for that crap). I just think it’s a sick looking truck that’s got the hardware to back up the look. What do you guys think about buying one just because they are awesome?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Buy what makes you happy. I had one, awesome truck but after a year of realizing it wasn't the "right" truck for me I went back to a diesel. You can also make any HD ram "look" like a PW pretty easily if you don't need all the capability built in to the PW (mainly the lockers)

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I won't lie, I bought it just because it's a "Power Wagon". I have used all this badassery to take me to work and around town and I've used the winch once to pull some bushes out by the house. That's about it. She's bone stock and I'm A Okay with it.

Attachments

• Truck 2.jpg
    Truck 2.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 47

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I bought mine new off the lot because it had what I wanted. It’s my daily driver but it’s also my getaway vehicle. I built what I thought I needed

Attachments

• IMG_3330.jpeg
    IMG_3330.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0525.jpeg
    IMG_0525.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 33

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
B Junc.jpg
Mine's a keeper...
MPGs aren't as bad as I feared- even after adding 35s.
Town mileage kind of sucks-but I can get 17mpgs on the highway if I'm not driving like an A-hole
(as my wife puts it)
That's pretty good for a non-diesel 3/4 ton no matter what brand.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Same here. I love my truck. Every time I get in it. i do little to no off roading, it’s my daily driver, gas is gas and I don’t care. It’s big, it’s black, it’s mean looking, … I think I’ll go for a ride now.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i got mine just for the crappy rural roads where i live.it turned out to be an awesome winter driving vehicle as well.it's also a bonus that it has almost every available option except the ram boxes.it wasn't t what i was originally looking for but i fell in love with it anyway.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
. I own a 2020 that I bought new but I get to spend time in all kinds of vehicles and if I were buying another truck today it would be a ford with 7.3 gasser. That said if I were buying a new vehicle today it would be a Jeep rubicon with extreme package. I come from a jeep background and for my type of offroading the jeep is superior. The PW rides great but is just too wide for my kind of trails. If I wheeled in wide open country it would be different but tight trails are not so fun in the PW. It is versatile tho and have been through some changes in bed covers.
IMG_20211201_142124783_HDR.jpegIMG_20210828_073710589.jpegIMG_20220424_151421775_HDR.jpegIMG_20201207_152917082_HDR.jpeg

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
When I bought my truck I had the stealership strip off all the lame (imho)graphics. I like the stealth look and where I live a flashy truck invites lowlife people to look at my truck.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Marketing and fantasy sells cars (and beer and shoes and....). Most people who buy an offroad worthy vehicle don't offroad, they want to think of themselves and/or be seen as the sort of person who could do that sort of thing. Nothing wrong with that, just ask yourself: Would you get $X amount of enjoyment out of it as opposed to putting $X in something else? If you've got the money and there's nothing you'd rather do with it than buy capabilities you don't intend to use but enjoy just having, go for it. Just go in with your eyes open unless you have enough $ that constantly swapping vehicles to chase the greener pasture doesn't hurt you.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I bought my pw for the locker etc do I use them not that much but when you need it it’s great. Most people don’t even know what an axel locker does and you can’t see them so no bragging rights there. And very few notice the hook for the winch. But when it comes time to pull them out of the ditch they notice. I bought my pw because it was what I wanted I couldn’t care less about what others think.

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You, Sir, have asked the $64,000 question and answered it all in the same post.
I replaced a Land Cruiser 100 Series because the off-road suspension was just too soft and the 4.7L V-8 too anemic for towing. The wife's idea of roughing it is A/C and Hot Shower, and not a rooftop tent... so we've evolved. I have to say she hated the LC so was all about upgrading.
I searched and searched for a vehicle with comparable off-road ability as I teach overlanding with the power and road manners I wanted for towing. This one turned my head and many others. Sure, my Beast of 37s is 1/3 larger and almost twice as heavy. It won't fit down skinny tracks and might bog down in slow water & mud (but the 12.5K winch makes quick work of that). If I was worrying about that I would have kept the LC or bought a Jeep! The TRX had just come out at the time but wasn't a good fit for the same reasons as the Raptor.
So the choice was between the Ford F250 Tremor and a Power Wagon. Chevy/GMC doesn't have HD off-road-ready factory trucks. The Canyon ZR2 Bison is just too small. The Ford caught my interest as it's supposedly available in a diesel, though I couldn't find a Tremor in 6 states (VA WV, MD, DC, PA, & NC). The PW ride and technology hands down beats the Ford gasser for nearly $15K less. The 12" screen and multi-cameras are incredible. The comfort, and interior quality is also significantly nicer than the Ford (which impressed the wife). The PW was hard to find at the time in the Mid-Atlantic as there were only 5 available across Maryland DC and Virginia. 3 were sold out from under me before I could get my wife and me to the dealerships, I bought the 4th but even had an appointment for the same day 100+ miles away for the 5th (just in case). With the money I saved, I upgraded 5 x 37" tires and custom rims then added Timbren bump-stops to more than adequately address squat. While I haven't found the right topper, the Ram Boxes are exceptional in carrying all of my recovery gear and tools. I found a custom-built one in Russia and I'm looking at TopperLift, but that's another thread.
I have a hybrid commuter car with clean fuel tags that get me into the HOV lanes for when I have to go in to work, but otherwise, we take our drive my Power Wagon everywhere else with little concern about gas mileage. If I were, I wouldn't have bought it. We always get comments where ever we go... gas stations, parking lots, campgrounds. You can see in the photo that we fly a US/USMC flagpole, and have a 12" EGA in my back window. Between the truck and the Marines, we're always talking to people!

Attachments

• 20220511_164820 (2)  CR - Tinyr.jpg
    20220511_164820 (2) CR - Tinyr.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 30

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You, Sir, have asked the $64,000 question and answered it all in the same post.
I replaced a Land Cruiser 100 Series because the off-road suspension was just too soft and the 4.7L V-8 too anemic for towing. The wife's idea of roughing it is A/C and Hot Shower, and not a rooftop tent... so we've evolved. I have to say she hated the LC so was all about upgrading.
I searched and searched for a vehicle with comparable off-road ability as I teach overlanding with the power and road manners I wanted for towing. This one turned my head and many others. Sure, my Beast of 37s is 1/3 larger and almost twice as heavy. It won't fit down skinny tracks and might bog down in slow water & mud (but the 12.5K winch makes quick work of that). If I was worrying about that I would have kept the LC or bought a Jeep! The TRX had just come out at the time but wasn't a good fit for the same reasons as the Raptor.
So the choice was between the Ford F250 Tremor and a Power Wagon. Chevy/GMC doesn't have HD off-road-ready factory trucks. The Canyon ZR2 Bison is just too small. The Ford caught my interest as it's supposedly available in a diesel, though I couldn't find a Tremor in 6 states (VA WV, MD, DC, PA, & NC). The PW ride and technology hands down beats the Ford gasser for nearly $15K less. The 12" screen and multi-cameras are incredible. The comfort, and interior quality is also significantly nicer than the Ford (which impressed the wife). The PW was hard to find at the time in the Mid-Atlantic as there were only 5 available across Maryland DC and Virginia. 3 were sold out from under me before I could get my wife and me to the dealerships, I bought the 4th but even had an appointment for the same day 100+ miles away for the 5th (just in case). With the money I saved, I upgraded 5 x 37" tires and custom rims then added Timbren bump-stops to more than adequately address squat. While I haven't found the right topper, the Ram Boxes are exceptional in carrying all of my recovery gear and tools. I found a custom-built one in Russia and I'm looking at TopperLift, but that's another thread.
I have a hybrid commuter car with clean fuel tags that get me into the HOV lanes for when I have to go in to work, but otherwise, we take our drive my Power Wagon everywhere else with little concern about gas mileage. If I were, I wouldn't have bought it. We always get comments where ever we go... gas stations, parking lots, campgrounds. You can see in the photo that we fly a US/USMC flagpole, and have a 12" EGA in my back window. Between the truck and the Marines, we're always talking to people!
The new at4x hd is pretty off road capable…

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
When I bought my pw it was the only one that had the things I wanted (winch and lockers). To add that stuff would be expensive the pw isn’t a jeep but I don’t do tight trails so the larger size is not a problem. I had a 4door jk two people could sleep in the back but wasn’t very comfortable. I built the topper lift and use plywood walls because we camp in grizzly country I know that plywood will not stop a grizzly but at least we will be awake when he is eating us

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I bought my pw it was the only one that had the things I wanted (winch and lockers). To add that stuff would be expensive the pw isn’t a jeep but I don’t do tight trails so the larger size is not a problem. I had a 4door jk two people could sleep in the back but wasn’t very comfortable. I built the topper lift and use plywood walls because we camp in grizzly country I know that plywood will not stop a grizzly but at least we will be awake when he is eating us
I always tell bear stories when we are camping and always get a good nights sleep because my buddies are too nervous to sleep..
we were camping in bear country in the second photo and in the middle of the night my dog who sleeps up with us came unhinged but did not bark just stood shaking with his nose against the tent screen I could not get him to lay back down and he stood like that for at least an hour. He is used to deer etc so not sure what got his attention but it was something.5149_zpszdtqzmoj.jpegIMG_20210828_093652846_HDR.jpeg

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You'll love it, just do it! How else could I navigate this driveway :)

Attachments

• 20230624_152831.jpg
    20230624_152831.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 27