Buying a power wagon just because it’s bad @$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would if I could. Love them!

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I first plowed snow at my company’s yard, in my bosses power wagon back around the early 90’s fell in love with these trucks. 35 years later I ended up buying a 75th anniversary model. your right I bought it because I had the cash to do it and I just wanted a bad ass truck. But the one thing people need to understand about these trucks is they are specialized for off road use. Which makes them not as capable as most people want out of a heavy duty truck. But they’re perfect for a personal fun off roads truck. IMG_3823.jpegIMG_3796.jpeg

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Overlanding/truck camping is what I bought my truck for. I don’t tow anything heavier than my quad so no problem for the pw. It’s great for logging roads and the highway. I’m old so no high speed stuff just crawl in the bush

Harbcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just like the title says. My thoughts are the power wagon is a bad @$$ factory truck. The mpg sucks and I’m sure most people don’t use it to its fullest but buy them anyway. I’m sure if I pick one up that I won’t be doing any crazy off road or mall crawling (too old for that crap). I just think it’s a sick looking truck that’s got the hardware to back up the look. What do you guys think about buying one just because they are awesome?
Agree!! I bought one in February just because!!! No regrets here

Harbcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agree . I bought mine in February just because. The truck is Bad A**! No regrets at all! Get complimented all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpeg
    IMG_1629.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 11

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 523350
Mine's a keeper...
MPGs aren't as bad as I feared- even after adding 35s.
Town mileage kind of sucks-but I can get 17mpgs on the highway if I'm not driving like an A-hole
(as my wife puts it)
That's pretty good for a non-diesel 3/4 ton no matter what brand.
Who makes the grill guard?

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I won't lie, I bought it just because it's a "Power Wagon". I have used all this badassery to take me to work and around town and I've used the winch once to pull some bushes out by the house. That's about it. She's bone stock and I'm A Okay with it.
Very nice looking truck.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Just like the title says. My thoughts are the power wagon is a bad @$$ factory truck. The mpg sucks and I’m sure most people don’t use it to its fullest but buy them anyway. I’m sure if I pick one up that I won’t be doing any crazy off road or mall crawling (too old for that crap). I just think it’s a sick looking truck that’s got the hardware to back up the look. What do you guys think about buying one just because they are awesome?
I looked at it before doing something else. It only has about 15lbs and 15hp more than the 5.7 hemi yet gets much worse millage. You would think they would transplant the Scat Pack motor with 480hp and 470lbs of torque, but they didn't. The 6.4 in the Power Wagon is just barely more than the 5.7 Hemi............This is not the first time, or the only manufacture to try putting big gas engines in a "performance" truck. All of which had very short shelf life...........Bottom line, diesel beats gas for big power and big torque in heavy vehicles every time. Get the cummins turbo deisel. A used one will make you happier than a new Power Wagon after you realize you gave up a ton of efficiency for very little additional performance for a decal on the side of the truck. Like Fords "Tremor", all advertising and no bite.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I looked at it before doing something else. It only has about 15lbs and 15hp more than the 5.7 hemi yet gets much worse millage. You would think they would transplant the Scat Pack motor with 480hp and 470lbs of torque, but they didn't. The 6.4 in the Power Wagon is just barely more than the 5.7 Hemi............This is not the first time, or the only manufacture to try putting big gas engines in a "performance" truck. All of which had very short shelf life...........Bottom line, diesel beats gas for big power and big torque in heavy vehicles every time. Get the cummins turbo deisel. A used one will make you happier than a new Power Wagon after you realize you gave up a ton of efficiency for very little additional performance for a decal on the side of the truck. Like Fords "Tremor", all advertising and no bite.

You're either confused or trolling. The Power Wagon isn't a "performance truck", it's an off road work/play truck. Complaining about short lifespan of a performance motor then advocating for putting the Scat Pack in a truck that currently has the 6.4 BGE specifically designed for longevity over peak performance seems to be talking out both sides of your mouth. The "performance" enhancements are the locking axles, disconnecting sway bar, winch, and suspension, not hot rodding performance mods. If you want go fast stuff, get a TRX.

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How do the Power Wagons, or the 2500 in general, ride compared to the 1500? Anyone have direct comparison experience of owning both? I have a 2020 1500 Lariat and love it. But, I really wanted to have a power wagon, mainly because of the look and features. At this time I don't need the increased towing capacity, but that may change in the future. I was worried that the heavier duty truck would be a rougher ride and I don't want that. I was replacing a 2013 F150 that at 65k miles blew a turbo and timing chain assembly on the 3.5 EcoBust, so I didn't have time to do much research and there were hardly any vehicles available to look at. Because I wanted the 33gal fuel tank that knocked out 90% of available 1500's at the time and 2500's were even rarer, especially the PW version.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I drove 1/2 and 3/4 tons from the big 3 back in 21 before I got the PW...drove the tradesman right before the PW...ride quality not close, but everyone and their needs are different, drive em all and figure out what gives you a pants tent...

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
How do the Power Wagons, or the 2500 in general, ride compared to the 1500? Anyone have direct comparison experience of owning both? I have a 2020 1500 Lariat and love it. But, I really wanted to have a power wagon, mainly because of the look and features. At this time I don't need the increased towing capacity, but that may change in the future. I was worried that the heavier duty truck would be a rougher ride and I don't want that. I was replacing a 2013 F150 that at 65k miles blew a turbo and timing chain assembly on the 3.5 EcoBust, so I didn't have time to do much research and there were hardly any vehicles available to look at. Because I wanted the 33gal fuel tank that knocked out 90% of available 1500's at the time and 2500's were even rarer, especially the PW version.

I have owned both and still technically do, but the 1500 is now my son's truck. Let's say the 1500 is a 10/10 on the comfy scale. The Power Wagon is probably a 7.5/10 and the standard HD is maybe a 5/10 in most conditions. All are better than their Ford counterpart in the same weight class. I didn't drive a Chevy 2500 from this century, but the 1500 ZR2 is *very* comfortable. Probably the only truck I've driven that was plusher than the Ram 1500.

The PW has softer springs than a standard HD, so that helps. I'm still on stock tires, but more "plush" tires with lower air pressure and more sidewall give will close the gap between the PW and the 1500 a bit more. None of them are going to ride like a mid-90s Town Car, which is basically driving an air sprung Barcalounger down the road, but they are certainly not objectionable to me.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive a ‘17 1500 for work all week, and my power wagon the rest of the time. The half ton without a doubt rides/drives better. But the power wagon is more comfy than a regular 2500.

There has never been a 33 gallon fuel tank option in the power wagon. The only 2500 that offers that is the long bed models.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I had a 2019 1500 Limited 4x4 crew cab. Switched to a 2021 PW and was concerned about the same thing. While a little stiffer, it’s still a very nice ride and I never really noticed a huge difference. The weight of the truck, along with the off road suspension made me feel like I had the best of both worlds. And I’ve not stopped smiling ever time I go for a ride.

stvwms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I bought mine in December. The only thing I've done was to put retractable running boards on it. (it's just too high a mountain for my ol' body to climb~) I absolutely love it. It's still not broken in yet but I get 15 mpg's if I don't try to clip my toenails on the fan. We're spoiled anyway - just think back 15-20 years ago. A 350 or 360 that got 13 mpg's was great! Now we whine if we don't get 20? I'm totally happy with everything about my PW!320556127_547644313922488_3584191945255064001_n.jpg

Baysider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First Jeep and PW I drove were converted military surplus brush trucks. Volunteer fire companies did the conversions in the firehouse. They were not pretty but get the job done they did. The PW had a hole in the floor near the shifter where fire would occasionally pop up if we were a little too close to the action. We mounted a hose reel on the front of the Jeep and you sat on the hood to fight the fire and ground sweep nozzles were made out of inverted spoons. Now days we have Wild Land Interface Engines.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I bought mine to do Power Wagon stuff. Not my daily driver but it is used for off road adventures and Overlanding. It is perfect for what I do in it and it makes off roading so much easier compared to a regular 4x4 pickup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat