Bye Bye Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well sadly the 2022 Power Wagon is going to be traded in unless something changes in the next week. I got in around March or something and it's only had 3200 miles put on it. 900 of those were running back to the dealer for a few things. The payment is huge and lets face it. I don't live in an area that justifies owning it. It'll be better in someone else's hands. I'll be trading for a 2018 F150 that already has some goodies on it. Fox coil overs, a lift, morimoto head lights etc. It has the 5.0 with 373 gears. I just can't justify spending so much on a truck, driving it so little and having two kids at home that need things. Time to be a bit less selfish till they are out of the house. I looked for a Rebel or Laramie with similar options and price/mileage but struck out. Hope the Ford will be ok for quite a while. I'll post a few pics of it when I get it. I'm sure not everyone on the forum only likes dodges. haha.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My truck is paid off but i can hardly afford to drive it anyway.

I kinda feel your pain.

Iv only driven my truck to work 3 times all summer. Been taking my 50-70mpg motorcycle. Going to be a really tight winter budget wise driving my truck to work for 6 months here in Michigan.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I’ve been driving my Indian to work. I still need something somewhat reliable for fishing trips and going hunting but not the wagon unfortunately. My wife has a car payment too so I’ll take the hit on my end. She loves her ride.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
This probably won't be popular but, why would you not have thought all this through before laying out that kind of money on a truck. A year ago you could order one of them new and sell them for more than you paid once they got here, but you sure couldn't buying off the lot, nor can you ordering right now. Your comment about about "selfish" is a pretty good description; in my world, family needs come WAY before shiny wheels for Dad. I really hope you get out from under that Power Wagon okay.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A man gotta do what a man gotta do. I hope the F-150 serves you well. Might I suggest you have the dealer make sure the lift kit, etc. were properly installed. You don't want to get the Ford home, and find a "shade-tree" mechanic buggered it up. Good luck.

BTW, I was previouesly an F-150 fanboy owning quite a few in my 69 years on earth. They were quite reliable. My last was a '13 5.0L 2wd Crew Cab, and with the 3:15 standard gearing got around 17/21 mpgs. The 3:73 though will be a bit less, and the lift kit (and I expect larger/heavier tires) will drop it a bit also. All that was said if mpg's are a concern to you.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This probably won't be popular but, why would you not have thought all this through before laying out that kind of money on a truck. A year ago you could order one of them new and sell them for more than you paid once they got here, but you sure couldn't buying off the lot, nor can you ordering right now. Your comment about about "selfish" is a pretty good description; in my world, family needs come WAY before shiny wheels for Dad. I really hope you get out from under that Power Wagon okay.
TO THE OP:

Well, U gotta do what U gotta do, Family always comes first. My wife had a 2010 F 150, 4 X 4, CC, with the 5.4 Triton, Drank fuel a bit, but was totally reliable and ran pretty dang good and towed well. Got 12 mpg towing a stock trailer to VA and back to TX. Only Big MX was tires and I put a idler tensioner on it. Sold to her younger son when she died in 2016, so the F-150 do U well in the downsizing from the mighty PW, IMHO... Big thing on Ford, keep that Oil Changed regularly and use good filter also, IMHO...

CAVEAT: Explains why I still have my now 4 year old MY 19 Bighorn 4 X 4 in the driveway. Wanted a PW or the TRX, but price does not justify purchasing, especially since MY 19 is paid off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh I’m doing fine on the powerwagon or I wouldn’t be doing it at all. Plus I made money on my trade-in that I traded in to get the power wagon so no issues on money but yes I wish I would’ve realized that a few trucks ago. Hind site is 20/20. I’m going to have 2 1/2 years less of payments and $150 a month for cheaper I’ll take that any day

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Plus it had to go through an inspection all of that stuff checked out. Believe me I was a little nervous buying something with a lift kit.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've had 11 Fords in my lifetime. They make a good product. All of these trucks have some issues. I hope your new ride lasts you many years and brings you joy!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had 11 Fords in my lifetime. They make a good product. All of these trucks have some issues. I hope your new ride lasts you many years and brings you joy!
Think until recently Ford been behind on interior, but OP has to weigh all considerations, and do wat is best for Family.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh I 100% degree Rams interiors are 1000 times nicer. I plan on installing latzkin leather as soon as I can

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I bought my truck when i had another job that was only 10 min away. I planned to stay there as my final carrier to retire from. I put VERY fer miles on it a year. It was perfect and I use the truck for work to ...

Had to change jobs for important reasons. Now Im driving 3x as much.

Also, don’t particularly enjoy when someone wants me to explain something to them that is not something they need an explanation of.

But there it is..sorry you caught me on a day that im all wound up

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
haha yeah life throws curve balls sometimes. My situation hasn't changed but my mindset has. If I ever go with a bigger truck again it'll probably just be a 3500 of some sort since tabs are cheap for them in MN.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ford was just ordered to pay $1.7 Billion in an F150 rollover lawsuit.
Seems the roof likes to meet the door handles when it flips.
Marketing it as a Pancake Edition truck would be more honest.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Hopefully the F150 comes with a decent size fuel tank. That's my only major gripe about my Power Wagon. We fill up at one of our two only pumps in the quite remote town of Maybell, Colorado (known for Colorado's lowest negative 61F temperature) and head north pass the sign "Next services 120 miles". It doesn't mention that there's a 17% grade section for 2 miles of which my fuel economy drops to a hair above zero. I think about the Ford F-150 Lightning EV towing out here in winter and not surviving.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Hopefully the F150 comes with a decent size fuel tank. That's my only major gripe about my Power Wagon.

Potentially dumb question, but is there any aftermarket gas tank for gas 6.5' bed 2500s that would work with the PW and extend the range?

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Potentially dumb question, but is there any aftermarket gas tank for gas 6.5' bed 2500s that would work with the PW and extend the range?
There's a thread somewhere on the forum for that. It sounds like a pain in the ass. The ford comes with a 36 gallon tank. I've been at a vehicle accident with the fire department where the whole cab sheared off the frame. Aluminum construction. Cab was solid though.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What to watch out for with a 2018 5.0:

https://mycarvoice.com/news/ford-f-... be prone to excessive engine oil consumption.

I've spent years on the Ford Truck forums, and oil consumption is a problem on the latest generation of the 5.0, oil and ticking was on the last one.

The latest reprogramming has helped many people use less oil by the throttle plates not closing completely upon deceleration, creating less manifold vacuum, therefore, not pulling as much oil out past the piston rings and valve guides.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've heard that frequent oil changes are a good thing on them. I'm sure it has something to do with that. Every motor has it's quirks. Hemi tick for Hemi's etc. I'll probably change my oil every 5k or less on this one. Appreciate the heads up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963