C1556 DTC - Anyone Experienced This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Out of the clear blue one morning when starting up, I get an EVIC message that said the rear air suspension system needs immediate service. My code scanner (BlueDriver) pulled DTC C1556 (no sub-type code) from the ASCM. There are no other DTCs set and no other ICON lamps illuminated,

A Google search pulled this:

C1556 RAM Possible Causes
  • Faulty Ride Height Air Pressure Sensor
  • Ride Height Air Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Ride Height Air Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM)
(Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/c1556_ram.html)

The air suspension system was set to "Alt Ride Height", now the back of the truck is sitting well above the "normal ride height" position. Most dealers around me are closed until the end of the month, the couple that have their service departments open, they are booked for the next three weeks and out.

Before I get under there and start looking at connectors and sensor linkage (about all I can do), I'm wondering if anyone else has had this DTC and what was the correction. Any opinions if it is safe to load the truck with a 16K gooseneck loaded dump trailer?

I've also asked this question in the Cummins forum, just an FYI.

Thanks