Cab lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone tell me where I can get a template for measuring out for cab lights other than fleabay or Amazon?

Every MOPAR set I have bought came with a template in the box others I just measured a truck that had OE lights

As far as Reg Cabs having them I have probably owned a dozen of them with them. To me the most important thing was that the truck was lifted some vs cab type. No need for something called clearance lights on something thats short no matter how many doors ya have.

I have also learned long ago is use a step drill bit. larger drill bits are a bit of a pain drilling through todays beer can thick sheetmetal making a neat looking hole . Never had a leak and thats after close to a dozen installs. take your time and follow directions and don't over think it, You can be your worst enemy

Last edited:

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the MOPAR kt since everything you need is in there. Some of the things i did prior to the project was, stopped by a Dodge dealership and took some measurements from a truck that was equipped with the cab lights just to confirm me template markings. Placed painters tape on the roof in the area of where the lights were going prior to placing the template. As Gary 2 and others have mentioned, the metal in the roof is very thin and I used a "step bit" in lieu of a hole saw. If you use a hole saw, please let us know how that works out. After the holes were drilled, I put touch up paint on all the holes. Any paint or primer will do. There is a ring terminal on the ground which gets attached to the inner roof structure, or you can lengthen the wire and feed it down along with the power wire if you prefer. I prefer the soft and even glow of the standard incandescent bulbs over the LED's so I didn't replace the bulbs with LED's. I tried the LED's in my 95, but just liked the looks better with the standard bulbs, and never had a failure. But that is just me, everyone likes something different. I'm sure if you go back and read all the posts, there will be other good suggestions, just take you time, and don't rush the job.

Good luck.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hole saw worked great for me and insured a consistent size hole to each one in the exact size required. Each hole might have taken 5 seconds max

One thing I did was I took a 55gal garbage bag and split it in half, then I fed it thru from the drivers side to the pass side in between the headliner and roof. I taped one edge to the inside of the windshield. This caught any shavings like a drop cloth, then I just carefully pulled it out with no issues and no clean up required. You will get shavings on the roof too while doing the 6mm holes so don’t do it on a windy day. I kept my shop vac hose on top and caught it as I went.

One thing I’ll say is be careful with the 6mm drill bit, the roof is so thin it goes thru easily and if your pushing hard you could potentially go thru the headliner if it’s not lowered much.

Just don’t be intimidated by this drilling and installation, it ain’t ****.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate the tips fellas. This may be on the back burner for a little bit as I have a few other truck projects that need to get tackled first. And time is a hot commodity lately.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Always liked and had the clearance lights on my older trucks. They look good on yours.

Anyone know if having the factory sunroof would cause problems with the install?

Started the install on my 2015 Big HORN today. I have the sunroof and I had no issues. I lifted the center console and put a tarp down and stood in the truck and did all my measuring and drilling. I will finish tomorrow...got chased inside by a T-storm.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sunroof makes it real easy your lucky, imagine having an 8” lift on 37’s with a ladder doing all that lol

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I can imagine that JB1....

Had a 02 2500 Ram lifted and 35's....was younger then. Nowadays I'm good with stock height....

Woody1

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks, I ended up getting them just had to get that right amount of pressure like you said some of the ones i could get to i put pliers on em. Had me freaked out a bit.

Install went smooth other than that, the template was a pain in the ass. I only took the front a pillars and sun visors off and I was easily able to access where I needed to get.

I did put a thin layer of silicon on the inner lip of the rubber seal just cause I'm paranoid. Wasn't a fan of the plastic nutsert Appling the sealing pressure. I tapped into my HID headlight wire for power. Works great! I love how they turned out but I don't know that I would ever do it again drilling those holes had me freaked out even though I measured several times1ba1899968bf1a6d03862e75e5be2380.jpg0af586ad64538db54841128bb229668c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
45aaa4c844d3fa85fb9812b329b15309.jpg
Is that an Idaho plate I see?

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hole saw and touched up with paint before installing lights. Step drill may have been better though.
4DF21378-514F-4818-BD0B-A6B339C12053.jpeg 72FACF3E-3E0D-4423-BA6B-7843A1C92BC5.jpeg

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Hole saw! I would be afraid of going to big with a step drill bit, just too thin.....

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A good step bit is very easy to control and does a great job.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Popping in to revive this old thread. Lots of good information in here.

Going to be pulling apart the interior for sound deafening install, figured then would be about as good an opportunity as ever to install cab lights.

Definitely not 100% on my ability to do it myself. Called a local dealer and explained the situation, thinking they might work with me since a lot of the labor would be done/not required. And I’d still get warranty on the install IF there ever were issues.

Quoted me 850! Oof. Also went on about what I’m doing taking the truck apart and how if I mess with any electrical I’m voiding my warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Popping in to revive this old thread. Lots of good information in here.

Going to be pulling apart the interior for sound deafening install, figured then would be about as good an opportunity as ever to install cab lights.

Definitely not 100% on my ability to do it myself. Called a local dealer and explained the situation, thinking they might work with me since a lot of the labor would be done/not required. And I’d still get warranty on the install IF there ever were issues.

Quoted me 850! Oof. Also went on about what I’m doing taking the truck apart and how if I mess with any electrical I’m voiding my warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it! Once you drill to first hole, the other 14 are easy! Lol it’s not too bad once you get the template lined up.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do it! Once you drill to first hole, the other 14 are easy! Lol it’s not too bad once you get the template lined up.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

The nerves are real! Haha! Thanks for the motivation.

One good 6mm drill bit and a good Step Bit also.

I already have all the recommended equipment people found worked well for them in this thread in my amazon cart. Just need to pull the trigger.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The nerves are real! Haha! Thanks for the motivation.

I already have all the recommended equipment people found worked well for them in this thread in my amazon cart. Just need to pull the trigger.

Take all the time you need to line the template up, if you can do it in a garage do that. Once you have it on an set where you want it/taped down real good. Use a center punch on all the holes.

Running the wiring was the hardest part.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40