cabin pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tombato

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Body
Engine
Hemi 5.7
since I've owned my 2019 new body style ram which is almost a year. from day one I've noticed when either of my rear windows in my crew cab are open ears almost pop and feels really uncomfortable unless I crack another window does anybody else experience this or have any idea why this is happening is it just a characteristic?

OP
OP
Tombato

Tombato

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Body
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm familiar with that as well it's just really bad in this ram and you can't tell me it's normal and if it's typical of this truck then it's poorly designed.

OP
OP
Tombato

Tombato

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Body
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, for the record i wasn't born yesterday. I've driven about as many different vehicles for every year I've been alive at least ( 51) and like i said it may be normal for 4 door trucks that are made today but I've never felt anything in any of those like i experience in the Ram. my buddy said it's the same in his 18 gmc canyon. so it may be a crew cab truck thing but NOT an every car thing.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, for the record i wasn't born yesterday. I've driven about as many different vehicles for every year I've been alive at least ( 51) and like i said it may be normal for 4 door trucks that are made today but I've never felt anything in any of those like i experience in the Ram. my buddy said it's the same in his 18 gmc canyon. so it may be a crew cab truck thing but NOT an every car thing.
I have a Quad Cab Express. Mine also had a lot of wind buffeting. I installed a power sliding rear window. I pop it open a little when I have my other windows open and it makes a big difference. That being said my Chevy Quad Cab I had previously without a sliding rear window didn't seem to have as much buffeting as my Ram before I put in the slider.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My current ram ( '19 crew cab ) and my last ram ( '16 quad cab ) both do this. My 16 was worse than the 19 is though. The wife jeeps ( renegade and grand Cherokee ) both do this as did the grand caravan we had as a shop vehicle.

I think it comes down to the vehicles being more and more aerodynamic, the air flows over the cabin smoothly, and cracking a window creates a vacuum of low pressure. Opening 2 equalizes this pressure some and makes it less noticeable. Older vehicles didn't do this as much due to less aerodynamics

I noticed the renegade and the caravan holding your hand in the spot between the mirror and door will lessen this effect.

If you've ever ridden a motorcycle, you know about wind buffeting, especially with a windshield. Ive had it bad enough I couldn't see the road at speed until I got it adjusted properly.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Just about an "every car thing" with today's aerodynamics. I wasn't born yesterday either and have well over a million miles of ass-time in a lot of vehicles. Anything I've had new since about 97 or 98 has done this. Some worse than others but without exception. My econo-box Kia Soul, which is now almost 8 years, does this and it's shaped like a brick. My 2004 Nissan Titan, 4 door crew cab 4WD, bought new, did this. My Buick LeSabre did this. My Chevy Lumina did this. My 72 Ford LTD? Nope, you could open anything you wanted. My 88 Honda Accord did, however, though nowhere near as bad as today's vehicles.

The buffeting is actually a sign of good design, not bad. It means the vehicle is so aerodynamic that the pressure can't equalize and thus the buffeting that you notice.

Easy answer to this: crack the front window and the rear window. Air flow and no pounding.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the first truck or car I’ve ever owned (including a 2013 ram) that makes that sound with just the driver window open. Or thumping sound. I have to have two windows open at all times if I ever roll down my driver window.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing abnormal. I think its worse with a crew cab.

If you just want a little airflow, try cracking the back two windows and open the sliding rear window. It's just enough air and doesn't make any odd noises or buffeting. Using the two rear windows instead of the fronts keeps the road noise down as well since its all behind you.

OP
OP
Tombato

Tombato

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Body
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still miss the old side vent windows. They were simple to operate, would circulate fresh air without buffeting noise, and efficiently extracted cigarette smoke (back when it seemed everyone smoked).

I heard that...

I know that there are baffles behind body panels and bumpers on some vehicles that are designed to reduce air pressure in the cabin when the doors are opened and closed. I guess I figured they might also reduce that window pressure thing too and if so maybe they were designed poorly and/or malfunctioning. but it is what it is..

Also, glad I got a ram instead of a Chevy. a 2020 Silverado passed me with a front light out....STILL!!…...figures.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still miss the old side vent windows. They were simple to operate, would circulate fresh air without buffeting noise, and efficiently extracted cigarette smoke (back when it seemed everyone smoked).

Have those on my old car, they are the only "a/c" that the car has when I get caught in the rain...

IMG_1697.JPG

Also please disregard the carpet stain (always bothered me about this picture), new carpet going in this spring pending the end of the world.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Depends on the configuration and aerodynamics of the vehicle. My little econo-box 2015 Nissan Versa sedan is very pleasant to roll the windows down on. No buffeting or obnoxious noise.

On the other hand, I find my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab so incredibly loud and annoying with any/all of the windows down even a crack, I never have them down while driving. It's excruciating if someone rolls down one or both of the rear windows. Feels like the buffeting will blow the cabin apart it's so bad on the quad cabs.

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm familiar with that as well it's just really bad in this ram and you can't tell me it's normal and if it's typical of this truck then it's poorly designed.
it's wind buffeting. it's normal. i too have the new body style and it is no different than any car i've owned. perhaps consider opening the rear window?

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on the configuration and aerodynamics of the vehicle. My little econo-box 2015 Nissan Versa sedan is very pleasant to roll the windows down on. No buffeting or obnoxious noise.

On the other hand, I find my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab so incredibly loud and annoying with any/all of the windows down even a crack, I never have them down while driving. It's excruciating if someone rolls down one or both of the rear windows. Feels like the buffeting will blow the cabin apart it's so bad on the quad cabs.
folks...there is no difference between this truck and other vehicles...it's what vehicles do when channeling the wind in through just one window.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coefficiency of drag and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to obtain the flow structure to improve MPG in trucks, that noise is the speed of air flowing across and close to the truck surface as opposed to pushing it out of the way.