Cabin water leak other than brake light or window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
Spoiler: Cabin pressure vents

I just wanted to share my experience so others may benefit. I had the not uncommon experience of finding wetness and surface rust under my rear seat. I very carefully resealed the third brake light. When I had it removed, I didn't see any signs of water getting past the seal, but was still pretty confident that my problem was solved. In retrospect, I never had any staining of the headliner. After some significant rain, I found it was very wet under the seat again. I turned my attention to the window seal. I ran a garden hose at the top corner at the rear edge of the rain gutter for several minutes with no water intrusion. It looked like a tiny gap behind the seal there, but nothing was getting in. I ran the hose for a while at the top of the back window in line with the driver side rear head rest. Finally, I got water dripping inside. I still didn't know where it was getting in until I pulled the single driver side rear seat totally out and pulled the sound deadening panel. It was practically pouring in from the top edge of the cabin pressure vent. The vent is just snapped into place from the outside of the cab. It could be wiggled around due to the loose fit. It was easy to squeeze the retention tabs and pop it out, causing it to fall to the ground. (the passenger side was a much tighter fit and had to be forced out vertically between the cab and bed. I removed both vents, laid a thick bead of 10yr 100% clear silicone caulk I had, and snapped them back in. I had to trim some plastic with a box cutter to make it easier to get the passenger side vent back in without touching the fresh silicone bead. A subsequent hose test resulted in no water intrusion. I took a bunch of pictures since I haven't seen this leak documented elsewhere. Here is one with water pooled on top of the passenger side vent.

DSC02722b.jpg

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Nice find, would have never looked there.

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
Good news. We had heavy rain over the weekend while I was on vacation driving rental cars. Enough rain to leak into my basement, which is unusual. I just checked under my truck's back seat and it's bone dry.

RAMMIN_TIME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I have this exact issue now. Unfortunately have suffered through the brake light and rear window seal leaking. Those have been fixed for about one year now, I looked in the truck this morning and it was wet under the seat and headliner was not wet. I am going to do the same thing that you did but have one question. Did any of the louvers seem to be damaged and would you recommend replacing the vent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
The vents came out very easily as they were very loose fitting. There wasn't any damage I could see to the plastic louvers or thin rubber flaps. The hardest part was getting them back in without smearing the bead of clear silicone around the perimeter. I think string and painters tape was used to pull the siliconed vent up into position between bed and cab, then pull it into place from the inside. Actually the most time consuming part was removing the seats and inner paneling.

RAMMIN_TIME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I suspect mine have been leaking for a long time just covered up by brake light and window seal. So from what I gather there is no factory gasket or seal? I figured seats would be the more PIA issue. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
I think the seal is built into the vent, but it was too loose to do it's job.

ramrocker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Same rear pressure vent leak on passenger side.
Found wet carpet under the seat and down under the sub woofer.
Could see the water leak trails below the vent.
Not much of a seal to keep water out, especially when washing the truck.
Tried sealing with permatex RTV, but it wouldn't stick to the vent's silicone rubber.
Picts are the drivers side, as I worked on it also.

Next packed some butyl tape around the vent's frame, made sure the vent seated snugly on the outside.
Checked for leaking water and no leaks now.

Pulled the 3rd brake light, no leak but top seal getting close to it on top edge.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Reaction score
Those vents r very cheap to replace. They have a new version of them now. Also I found the roof seam on the passenger side had small cracking in the paint and was allowing water in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RDHemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to comment and say thanks because this helped fixed my leak issue. Anyone who has the rear carpet getting wet should try this fix by sealing the cabin vent. Thanks for posting the info.

brny67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will definitely check this, thanks for the heads up!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue with mine. 4 trips to dealer (1st brake light, whole back glass, replaced driver side cabin vent, and replaced passenger side cabin vents). They noted that the driverside cabin vent was "deteriorated", but only replaced that. Its common since that if you have two vents, one is deteriorated. The other should be in the same states. LOL

HemiJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took mine into the dealership today for water leak in the cab, already replaced 3rd brake light on my own and it still leaked. I have the max care warranty but this isn't covered along with the mold smelly carpet. The service advisor said in 30 years he has only seen this failure once and it was on a chevy and 99.9% of the time it is the CHMSL or window seal. Well today he got to add one to his list of known failures. He quoted me 250 bucks to change them out, I priced the part online 5.20 each,so if FCA doesn't goodwill the repair being its so rare therefore it must be a defect Ill do the repair myself. I told him if those vents are made of the same cheap plastic as the fog lamps are I can see why they failed. Fog lamps are also not covered under Max care and they wanted 350 for those. Ive been in a RAM for the last 17 years and this one will probably be the last if it will last long enough to get the wife a new ride. It's a 2015 with 30.000 miles on it so its not like its high mileage or driven hard, I'd be afraid to drive it any harder than a "paw paw" would.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I pulled my 3rd brake light just to check seal, well that started a leak! Both corners of headliner soaked and under seat. Picked up that marine gasket stuff i saw in another post, ill install that soon but electric tape has stopped the leak for now.
I did notice some water under rear passenger seat, looks like thats from the vent also, so ill have to look into that now as well.
Good times!

jlandry48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone have the part number to the cabin pressure vent? 2014 RAM 1500 BH Crew cab.

jlandry48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those vents r very cheap to replace. They have a new version of them now. Also I found the roof seam on the passenger side had small cracking in the paint and was allowing water in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jlandry48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the new part number for these?

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought last 6-2019 it was:
Manufacturer: Mopar Part Number: 68323649AB Part: Pressure Vent Replaces: 68157351AC, 68157351AD, 68323649AA

What is the difference between the old and the new?