CAI issues??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm getting some off idle bogging or sluggishness during medium pedal acceleration. I just installed a Corsa Cat Back and an S&B CAI on the truck. I didn't do the neg terminal disconnect as advised during the install but did disconnect it for about an hour last night. Has any one else had this happen or did I not have the neg off long enough or maybe not enough miles(less than 100) to do the relearn? Just not sure at this point but the bogging down is bothering me.

The bog or lagging feels sort of like an air leak but I checked for that as well?

Last edited:

Sportman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are there any screens inside the intake tube? Check to make sure they're straight.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Disconnecting the negative terminal alone will not reset the computer. You need to drain the capacitors also. See pic attached, connect one end of the wire to the + positive and the other end to the Unconnected - Negative battery CABLE, NOT the negative battery terminal. Let that drain the power for about 30 min.
Important: Restart must be on a dead cold motor.
Important: After starting, let the truck run in park until it reaches normal operating temperature. The computer is relearning fuel tables.
Not sure this will help with your problem but this will reset the computer. And hopefully fix your bogging.

Attachments

• 20170429_172202.jpg
    20170429_172202.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 60

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Be SURE the negative battery cable does not touch the negative battery terminal during this process.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could just pull both cables and put them together, should get the same result? Didn't think about the cold start, maybe I'll pull both cables and put them together overnight and see how that does? How many miles does it take driving for it to relearn?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Could just pull both cables and put them together, should get the same result? Didn't think about the cold start, maybe I'll pull both cables and put them together overnight and see how that does? How many miles does it take driving for it to relearn?

The only reason I didn't want to touch the cables together is because the Positive battery cable has two small fuses and I didn't want to blow one or both. See pic. For the relearn mileage I'm not sure. Guys at the track will do this and then run hard to get a good aggressive base line and wipes out all the daily driver data.

Attachments

• 20170429_191014.jpg
    20170429_191014.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only reason I didn't want to touch the cables together is because the Positive battery cable has two small fuses and I didn't want to blow one or both. See pic. For the relearn mileage I'm not sure. Guys at the track will do this and then run hard to get a good aggressive base line and wipes out all the daily driver data.

Just checked both fuses and they're good. Landed the Pos cable back on Pos terminal and left a jumper wire between the Pos cable/terminal and the disconnected negative terminal. Going to let it sit overnight and start it up first thing in the morning.

Just out of curiosity, where can you find either of those fuses, dealership? Never seen that type before.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Just checked both fuses and they're good. Landed the Pos cable back on Pos terminal and left a jumper wire between the Pos cable/terminal and the disconnected negative terminal. Going to let it sit overnight and start it up first thing in the morning.

Just out of curiosity, where can you find either of those fuses, dealership? Never seen that type before.

The jumper wire needs to go from positive battery cable/terminal to the disconnected negative battery cable not the terminal. As for the fuses I have no idea, I was scared to blow one because I have no idea what they do LOL.
Hope this woks for you.

OP
OP
magician

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The jumper wire needs to go from positive battery cable/terminal to the disconnected negative battery cable not the terminal. As for the fuses I have no idea, I was scared to blow one because I have no idea what they do LOL.
Hope this woks for you.

My bad, it is going to the disconnected negative cable to the connected positive.
I hope it works to, the bogging down is making me second guess the S&B. Truck ran great with just the CORSA.

THANKS for the help.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
... Landed the Pos cable back on Pos terminal and left a jumper wire between the Pos cable/terminal and the disconnected negative terminal. Going to let it sit overnight and start it up first thing in the morning...
Out of curiosity - any updates here?
Did resetting the computer solve your issue?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Out of curiosity - any updates here?
Did resetting the computer solve your issue?
^^^Yeh, because if it didn't, and you've already checked all the connections I'd suspect:
1) An O2 sensors may be loose or perhaps damaged from the exhaust work, or
2) Your Intake Air Temp (IAT) Sensor isn't connected properly on the intake, is damaged, or more likely is dirty from being handled during the CAI install process, or
3) Your crankcase vent tube isn't properly reinstalled to the CAI (little tube crossing over from driver side of engine and entering next to large intake tube exiting the CAI and going to throttle body, or
4) You have a vacuum leak at the base of your Throttle Body--it's a plastic intake manifold, Tb is attached with metal screws, too much wiggling during intake attachment may have gapped it.