CAI or drop-in filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the wingnuts at Pep Boys but had to Dremel off some on each stud to get them low enough to tighten.
View attachment 244811
BAM! Ordered.
Thought about that too, I'll just use an aluminum tube spacer from Home Depot's Fastener Isle (love that isle) if I have the same issue.
I ordered the Mr. Gasket tri-wing nut spinners, the one that has the 3 holes in each arm.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I also got a K&N E-1980 filter to swap in when cleaning the Vararam filter.
Only difference is the V is 3" tall vs 2" on the K&N.
Used the K&N kit at $15 to clean/oil, still enough to do it again in the fall.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What does that tape do? Sounds like something I should look into....
It reflects the heat away from your lines.
My air has always worked well, but I noticed they'd have a little sweat on them in the summer telling me they're losing some efficiency.
Once I wrapped them I immediately noticed the air was drastically colder and it got cooler faster plus no more sweat.

dwade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It reflects the heat away from your lines.
My air has always worked well, but I noticed they'd have a little sweat on them in the summer telling me they're losing some efficiency.
Once I wrapped them I immediately noticed the air was drastically colder and it got cooler faster plus no more sweat.
So.... it might benefit the AC even more if they had a little foam pipe insulation also?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So.... it might benefit the AC even more if they had a little foam pipe insulation also?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes it would, but you'd still have to tape it on the get it to stay I'd think?
The aluminum tape not only looks cool, but easy to wipe down clean also.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I stumbled across this video on the vararam intake, by a guy who sounds a lot like Matthew McConaughey, at least to me. It's a few years old so perhaps they've added more weather stripping to help seal it better but if you watch part 1 of the video, you'll notice he left his engine cover on and has a bigger throttle body so maybe that's why he's having so many issues with his.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I stumbled across this video on the vararam intake, by a guy who sounds a lot like Matthew McConaughey, at least to me. It's a few years old so perhaps they've added more weather stripping to help seal it better but if you watch part 1 of the video, you'll notice he left his engine cover on and has a bigger throttle body so maybe that's why he's having so many issues with his.

I seen that before also. Don't know why his has the 2 gaps in the bottom seal but I did replace my bottom seal with a thicker one because I have to agree the thin one they had in it didn't hold the filter well but since I changed that I have had no issues whatsoever. For the cost of it I can't say I was happy with it or the quality before I did my own adjustments. Shouldn't have had to do anything to it but I am happy with it now!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it would, but you'd still have to tape it on the get it to stay I'd think?
The aluminum tape not only looks cool, but easy to wipe down clean also.
I wrapped mine in water heater pipe foam. If you do that you have to make sure it’s closed cell or it’ll absorb moisture and rot or grow algae. I bought mine by the water heaters at the hardware store. Used aluminum tape every foot to secure the insulation in conjunction to the insulation having adhesive on it already. Wrapped the return line to the compressor. My ac used to have issues in the dead of summer. No issues anymore and it’s colder than it’s ever been. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/my-ram-ongoing-project.97961/page-17#post-2349150

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Probably throwing money away, but I install the S&B yesterday. Haven't driven a lot just yet, so don't really have any seat of the pants review yet, but I will be towing on Wednesday and Thursday, so I'm looking forward to how it does.
20210418_163624.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably throwing money away, but I install the S&B yesterday. Haven't driven a lot just yet, so don't really have any seat of the pants review yet, but I will be towing on Wednesday and Thursday, so I'm looking forward to how it does.
View attachment 244858
That ones pretty awesome for the 5th gens. I like how it uses the scoop at the radiator.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 244858
Looks good. This is actually the one I was primarily looking at, if I were to go for a full CAI. I personally think it looks really good and I suppose for purposes of maintenance, it's much easier to keep clean than the vararam. Not sure how the performance gains compare to the vararam, although I've seen videos of people claiming some pretty impressive 0-60 improvements, all without a tune.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put a dry AEM filter and added a air scoop that goes from the lower air box to just under the radiator.

Never short of air and does not suck hot engine fumes.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put a dry AEM filter and added a air scoop that goes from the lower air box to just under the radiator.

Never short of air and does not suck hot engine fumes.
Can you post some pics of that?