CAI or drop-in filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question: If I have absolutely no desire to spend hundreds of dollars on a tuner, trying to find the best one with good customer support behind it, etc. is it at all worth it to get a cold air intake for my truck or is it better to just go with a drop-in filter? I keep hearing conflicting arguments on cold air intakes, saying they either need a tune or they don't.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The only thing that i have heard ill about the Vararam, is that when it snows hard, they tend to swallow it

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Get a drop in

@Hemi395

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

MickeyGreene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 244796 I will admit I got my vararam for the old school look. I don't notice any difference in gas mileage and didn't get to do a before and after 1/4 mile test but I'm happy with it but not expecting to get my money back in fuel savings.

Every time I see your set up, it makes me want to do it more and more!! Looks so good, really love the old school look.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/better-flowing-intake-for-5-7-w-ecodiesel-lower-airbox.139834/
cheap and is still stock. I went this route. Filter is half again deeper pleats. Intake horn is larger. Ends up better than 99% of CAI. The s&b intake is basically the same as doing this except they use a conical filter. I had an s&b and swapped to my current setup when I did the 6.4 manifold swap. Plus I like having the paper filter. Better dust filtration than any washable filter.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned, the Vararam Air Grabber is the only CAI for these trucks that will actually give any performance gains. The others are for looks and sound with the exception being the Volant with the lower scoop. That one actually decreases the intake air temps a bit. Other than that it's about the same performance as the factory air box.

I've bought and sold a bunch of intakes for my truck over the last few years. I've had the Vararam which I loved the lower air intake temps and the performance of, but hated the fit/finish, the new model S&B which I felt no gains over the factory intake, the older model S&B with the lower duct which again I felt no gains over the factory intake, the lower airbox from the Ecodiesel/6.4 trucks with the 6.4 Mopar filter, and finally I have the Airaid Jr that was mentioned earlier.

Take it from someone who's blown a lot of money on intakes for these trucks, the factory airbox with the larger lower half and filter is about as good as you're going to get with factory level filtration. Plus the factory intake comes out super easy to work on the truck if needed. Try that with the newer S&B intake.

A lot of guys run the Vararam with great success and honestly it's the only one that's worth the money. I just had problems with the filter popping out and dust getting in.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 244796 I will admit I got my vararam for the old school look. I don't notice any difference in gas mileage and didn't get to do a before and after 1/4 mile test but I'm happy with it but not expecting to get my money back in fuel savings.
Hey are those air cleaner nuts just a standard size or what size are the threads?
I wanna order some, but wasn't sure.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine are the 1/4 inch x 20 coarse thread. Got them off of ebay. They are called Chrome/ Black tri bar air cleaner wing nut.
Cool!
Thanks, I found a place on line too that has the with the MOPAR logo on them also.
At $20 a piece, I wanted to make sure I had the right size thread.