Cam and lifter swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pappabear69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so here I go, know I had a lifter cam issue, tore apart. Replaced timing chain and all its components. #1 cylinder at top, not sure if it matters when at top in stroke process. Marked both dots with paint, installed chain with cam at 12 and crank at slightly before 6. This enabled new chain marks to fall perfect, splitting double marks at cam and on mark on crank. Installed tensioner and guide. Reverified marks/ chain marks, all good. Reassembled everything. Truck missing and white smoke, head gasket. Tore heads back off checking that lifters were indeed correct for mds. Started again no more smoke but still rough idle and now slight backfire. Rechecked rods again and just for my head, replaced all coil packs and plugs. Still same issue, cranks fine but misses. Any help would be appreciated, gonna pull apart to check timing again, but sheessshhh.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you use a cam degree tool to check your work ?

View attachment 512495
Hope OP doesn’t mind me asking:

What’s the benefit of using a degree wheel when installing all oem parts? There’s no adjustable cam gear, and both gears have key ways onto their respective shafts so how is it possible to be off by anything other than some multiple of a full tooth?

Thanks in advance for the education.

J

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The amount of threads on this forum of screwed up cam swap is mind-blowing. OEM or Not.

The Cam degree tool just determines whether or not the camshaft is installed in the correct relationship with the crankshaft.

best 40$ Ive ever spent to double check before closing up an engine.