Camswap recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Since it appears I have a bad lifter and will probbably be doing a camswap pretty soon, I need recommendations based on the following:

2014 Ram Crew 4x4 BigH, 2.8 bils, the rest stock. 140k miles

Still owe 8k and no warranty

I will be doing work myself - I am not an auto mechanic but have an engineering technology background and am very detail oriented - I will actually be using the camswap guide from this forum to write up a SOP with step by step instructions including a reassembly torque checklist - which I will post for all you badasses to give feedback/corrections before starting.

This is my daily driver, has no performance mods, will rarely be towing other than a few times a year.

Ultimate goal is to never have to do this job again and get as many miles as possible out of this truck

A little HP/TQ boost would be nice if the price delta is reasonable

What cam kit would you guys recommend based on the above. I thank you all kindly, this forum has been quite the resource for me and I appreciate the sharing of knowledge that this forum promotes.

I have looked at Moe's and Jay but am torn as to which kit fits my needs - I am no racing gearhead but when in rome...why not get a little perform. boost if its reasonable.

THoughts? Thanks again Forum folks! I truly appreciate any feedback/help!!

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you running a tuner? Do you want to keep mds?

It is my understanding that MDS *may be part of the problem so I will do a delete and am not apposed to a tuner although I do not plan on doing headers/throttle body and all that jazz.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok was just curious. You'd need a tuner to shut off the mds solenoids. You can get non mds lifters and a small cam if you wanted at Texas speed. They have good stuff, I'm running their lifters with a comp cams thumpr.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would recommend Moe's Performance cam and kit. Matt is a preferred vendor on this site and has always provided outstanding support to the members here and to his customers and his prices are extremely competitive. There are a couple of DYI videos that a couple of members have made regarding cam swaps that might be very helpful if you're going to tackle the job yourself.
Jay

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would recommend Moe's Performance cam and kit. Matt is a preferred vendor on this site and has always provided outstanding support to the members here and to his customers and his prices are extremely competitive. There are a couple of DYI videos that a couple of members have made regarding cam swaps that might be very helpful if you're going to tackle the job yourself.
Jay

Thank you! I have checked Moe's and Jay as well. I have also seen an excellent youtube video on a camswap and will be referencing it to write up the checklist as well as the guide here on the forum. The only thing that "scares" me is the phase limiter but it seems straightforward, just delicate lol

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Jay's all inclusive cam packages are really good and include everything, and you don't need a cam phaser limiter for many of the options. Now, Jay's cam packages are more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Do the hellcat/some other lifter upgrade, do the springs, and get a nice high lift with a tune and you won't regret it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you! I have checked Moe's and Jay as well. I have also seen an excellent youtube video on a camswap and will be referencing it to write up the checklist as well as the guide here on the forum. The only thing that "scares" me is the phase limiter but it seems straightforward, just delicate lol

If the limiter scares you,as James stated a lot of Jays smaller cams don't require fooling with the limiter. I have Jays 1.5HL in my 4X4 and it's pretty decent on power,but one of his .5HL cams would probably be better suited as they are torque cams.The 1.5HL really needs a set of LT headers and is about as big as i'd go with-out investing in a convertor,where as the .5 cam will work good with the stock exhaust and torque convertor,headers would help it,but are they a requirement "no",lol

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In running a .480int .512exh in my 5.2 stock heads. Its a torque cam I gained lots if low end plus hp program is best but you don't need one to run dam good.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In running a .480int .512exh in my 5.2 stock heads. Its a torque cam I gained lots if low end plus hp program is best but you don't need one to run dam good.

Dan this is the 4th Gen section,not much from a 318's cam spec's transfers over to a variable valve timing 5.7's cam specs

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol I think I should pay more attention. Sorry