Can you hear me now??? CB's, antenna's and set ups..... whatcha got?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The only people using CB are dump trucks at the quarries, off road group at events or trailing and truckers when road conditions are bad, still a fun thing and useful, but not nearly as useful as Amateur radio. Ham radio has more to offer than GMRS, more repeaters, more licensed operators, more frequencies hence more people monitoring..RX/TX. People turn from Ham once they hear they have study for the license, don't be that guy. :) Getting your tech license to be a Ham is smart choice when comparing CB to Ham and "who's listening", if you disagree then buy a CB, put it on CH 19 and holler for anyone, it'll most likely be silent. If you do hear someone it won't be a trained operator that is willing to communicate effectively and actually help you when needed, read that last part twice, that' the major difference. Don't just trust me, try it. Then ... buy a dual band or just a 2 meter HT for Ham and monitor 146.520 (no license needed to monitor) and see the difference where ever you go. Try it. Proof is in the pudding.
This reply is in response to the original post stating he wanted something that will help him when he is traveling and breaks down somewhere.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

dhenzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm a Ham radio operator, and have an Anytone AT-6666 which does 10m SSB and FM as well as all the CB channels. I'm putting it in, and wondered if anyone would suggest mounting places. I opted NOT to get carpet as we live near sand & beach... so that wrecks carpet fast and is a constant cleaning problem. I did get factory rubber mats, and vinal covered floor. Whisk broom takes care of the sand and dirt in a NY second.

Bought a Hustler Mag mount and will try seeing how it works mounted to the tailgate through the spray on lining. The mag mount has a 100lb magnet. I think it'll be ok. Will try it out at 70 mph and if that's ok it'll be fine for me. NC has few places that you can exceed that.

Am excited to get back on the air and also to listen for band openings by monitoring CH6 on CB. When that starts hopping I know 10m Ham band is not far away... 29.6MHz FM is my favorite.

I wish there was a simple way to connect to power. Will go out and look at the dash mounted connection... I'll need a quality cigar lighter plug. Don't have one, and Radio Shack is no longer...

Any suggestions... let me know.

Dave

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Jeepwalker
AM will not work through hills, heavy tree growth, or in any kind of tube or tunnel
FM can transmit & receive if 1 person is on the surface & another person is several feet below ground in a cement or metal culvert

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm a Ham radio operator, and have an Anytone AT-6666 which does 10m SSB and FM as well as all the CB channels. I'm putting it in, and wondered if anyone would suggest mounting places. I opted NOT to get carpet as we live near sand & beach... so that wrecks carpet fast and is a constant cleaning problem. I did get factory rubber mats, and vinal covered floor. Whisk broom takes care of the sand and dirt in a NY second.

Bought a Hustler Mag mount and will try seeing how it works mounted to the tailgate through the spray on lining. The mag mount has a 100lb magnet. I think it'll be ok. Will try it out at 70 mph and if that's ok it'll be fine for me. NC has few places that you can exceed that.

Am excited to get back on the air and also to listen for band openings by monitoring CH6 on CB. When that starts hopping I know 10m Ham band is not far away... 29.6MHz FM is my favorite.

I wish there was a simple way to connect to power. Will go out and look at the dash mounted connection... I'll need a quality cigar lighter plug. Don't have one, and Radio Shack is no longer...

Any suggestions... let me know.

Dave
Dave,
One way you can get DC power without any headaches is to get a Bioenno battery and put some connectors on it. It's temporary for sure but it works when you need instant reliable power. I use one for road trips but not in the truck, on a patio, etc., when I'm on a local repeater. Here's the link straight to the Lithium 12v, different Ah to choose from. The one I've had I use frequently for four years now..Put in your vehicle and shove it under the seat :)

apexad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel 6.7
GMRS only uses 2 watts
What is that distance wise, maybe 1/2 mile ?

Cbs transmit on up to 5 watts legally & your lucky to transmit 1 mile if there are no hills or forests, there are no repeaters to transmit further.
I am running around 90 watts & it transmits really clear, but the distance is still restricted. If the Sun Spots are really active & you are running good wattage & you are on a fair size hill, you hear people talking to each other for great distances. Like from a hill in San Diego to the Aleutian Islands near Alaska. That happens when atmospheric conditions are just right.

If there are FM Frequencies that can be used by the public, they usually have repeaters that are spaced out on the taller hills

The best thing to use would be HAM Radio
Get one with a remote head unit
Do your research
FRS can use 2 watts. GMRS with a license on the right channels/frequenices is up to 50 watts and a model like the Wouxon KG-1000G https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-1000g.html does in in fact have a remote head unit!

You should do your research!

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in the hot shot and big truck day I ran
RCI2950
Messenger M4V linear
Wilson antenna

With that set up I talked all over the world when the skid was running good. Sounded like a base station.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
everyone enjoys shooting skip in DX Land
everyone except two local guys trying to give each other directions

Where i live is in a valley, hills all around me, its about 25 miles from the ocean
There are days that all i can here is 345 miles due east, in Eloy Arizona, it is a Chrome Polishing business.
Some days they will be shooting skip with someone in Texas & there is another station in Maryland that jumps in every now & then.

Back around 1978, i had a Teaberry Command Base Station
Around 10 PM, i could talk on occasion with a guy up in the Aleutian Islands on Channel 99 Lower Side Band, (Oscar Myers Commercial Band), i forget the actual frequency
I had a little unit that read out a channel as well as the actual frequency, i forget what it was called, picked it up at Radio Shack

There used to be a guy in Texas, he believed he owned the air waves, if he didn't want to hear what ever the conversation was, he would turn on a box & play piano. He over powered everyone & he bled over on other frequencies too

Back then being a CB-er was fun
there were several CB clubs
The Turkey Hunts were a blast, we sure burnt up the fuel trying to locate the stationary Turkey