Can you replace lifters with head on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I've got a lot of upgrades to do in a few weeks including ARH long headers, a Jay Greene cam, hellcat lifters/mds delete and upgrade springs. Question on the hemi-heads; can you replace the lifters with the heads on with an extractor which I've done before on other engines or do you have to pull them? If I do have to pull them which I probably will do anyway does anyone have recommendations to do an upgraded head gasket and would it gain me anything other than peace of mind?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you got your parts from Jay Greene, that would be a good place to start to get the answers to your questions about how to install his stuff.
Jay

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Simple answer is no. But its been done by MotorCityMechanic on youtube... he made a tool in which he goes in where the camshaft goes and has a tool that latches them and then turns them 90degrees in order to take it out... You wont find one for sale though unless you get creative enough to make it youself... So ya you will have to pull heads. Cometic makes quality gaskets, Fel pro MLS or OEM are all fine options.. Dont think youll get any gains though

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Thanks for the input folks, appreciate it!

broken arrow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 5.7 no tick yet but misfire at high RPMs wondering if i changed the ( lifters only ) would that work or do you need to replace the camshaft also sorry for being a nag

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, the cam is likely toast. Lifters don't go out without damaging the cam.
If the lifter is just collapsed the cam won’t need to be replaced. I’d say about 2/3 the lifter/cam jobs we do need a cam. The other 1/3 are just a collapsed lifter or the customer brought it in soon enough that the cam isn’t damaged.