Canadian Rams Discriminated Against?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sxt. This truck was made in Canada. And best I can tell the Sxt was a model for the Canadian market. I just had a local dealer tell me the warranty is no good on Canadian trucks. Is this true?
( Fortunately mine is running strong and has no issues. Knock wood)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i wouldn't call that being discriminated against. A Canadian truck has Canadian Warranty, An american truck has American warranty. So it is true that American warranty won't cover a Canadian Truck.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is made in US but sold as fleet truck in Canada so Canadian warranty. Kind of a mutt, but I was told same thing. Take it to Canada if you want it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Mine is made in US but sold as fleet truck in Canada so Canadian warranty. Kind of a mutt, but I was told same thing. Take it to Canada if you want it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a Canadian delivered and indeed it does not have a warranty but there was someone on the forum a while back that said that some of the trucks qualified for warranty under some conditions. I thought the condition was fleet use but check with FCA to be sure. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just upgraded my 13 to a 17 and when I was looking I saw a TON of rams from Canada, some of them marked down to reflect that but most were priced the same as any of the other ones with no mention of the warranty not being good. Definitely something to look out for when buying these used. From my research I found it's only Chrysler vehicles that have this problem, and it was something Chrysler implemented somewhere around 2001-03 IIRC.

I tried asking some leading questions to some of these dealers to see if they would come out with it, none of them would unless asked point blank weather the warranty was good or not. Also noticed several dealers which had all of their used Chrysler vehicles from Canada, buying them much cheaper no doubt and then selling them at full price, screwing people over in the process.

OP
OP
Niederlander

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Well my 2014 was like new when i got it a year ago ( still is) with 43k mi. And I paid $3k UNDER trade in value so I can’t really complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think its so stupid on Chrysler not to honor warranty out of country. What happens if I was traveling and had a break down? If I'm still in warranty I would expect to have the issue fixed no matter where i was. Same should apply to used vehicles.

I have a friend who works at a GM dealership in Ontario. Was told that they send most of their used vehicles state side and have staff buying vehicles at auction, load them on carriers and take them directly over the boarder. Dealer is making a killing buy getting rid of used vehicles and focusing on selling us Canadians new.

Buddy just traded in his 10 tundra trd with over 200km and got 18k for it. Saleman said it'll be state side within a week. Bought a loaded 19 Sierra for under 30k. No brainer.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my 2014 was like new when i got it a year ago ( still is) with 43k mi. And I paid $3k UNDER trade in value so I can’t really complain.

I'm sincerely happy you got a good price on yours, that's the way it should be. I'm just saying the majority I saw were priced right along with the trucks that had warranties. Now I can't say at all how much they'd move on price as the lack of warranty was a deal breaker for me, so I never talked pricing on any of those trucks. The big picture of it though seemed pretty clear, lots of dealers trying to make extra money off unsuspecting people, cause even the carfax will show it has an active warranty.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What happens if I was traveling and had a break down? If I'm still in warranty I would expect to have the issue fixed no matter where i was.

I remember reading about this somewhere and I think you are covered. The warranty "divide" is more about ownership and where you register the truck. I'm not saying it makes sense (other than to some actuary and bean counter at FCA), just clarifying that you "may" have some coverage if driving your USA registered vehicle out of the country.

Kind of like heath care coverage. Even though I buy it in my state in the US, I'm still theoretically covered if I get mauled by a kicking turkey in Uzbekistan.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I actually had this issue a few years back with a 2013 Sport. Truck was from Canada and the only thing covered were recalls which I had taken care of from a local dealer. I actually contacted Chrysler in an attempt to purchase a warranty out of pocket but was told I could not. Now I dont know if I got someone in a bad mood that day or what, but I ended up trading it in shortly after I bought it. What a mess.

OP
OP
Niederlander

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I actually had this issue a few years back with a 2013 Sport. Truck was from Canada and the only thing covered were recalls which I had taken care of from a local dealer. I actually contacted Chrysler in an attempt to purchase a warranty out of pocket but was told I could not. Now I dont know if I got someone in a bad mood that day or what, but I ended up trading it in shortly after I bought it. What a mess.

Ugh. This sounds like a prime candidate for a social media campaign to get FCA to man up and do the right thing.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ugh. This sounds like a prime candidate for a social media campaign to get FCA to man up and do the right thing.

I also wish there was a way to mass warn the consumer to verify where the vehicle came from. I agree FCA should do the right thing as well, but I'd love to hurt the sales of these dealers exclusively dealing with Canadian Chryslers too.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Absolutely because they are getting these vehicles cheaper in Canada and making a profit on them here in the US. The small dealership I purchased mine from did actually inform me the vehicle came from Canada, but left out the part where the warranty was void. I guess I can blame myself for not researching it first but the truck was SUPER clean and I obviously got it for a good price at the time. Self correcting error

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sxt. This truck was made in Canada. And best I can tell the Sxt was a model for the Canadian market.

Built in Canada? What's the VIN number? (you can leave the last 7 numbers off if privacy is a concern)
I wasn't aware of Ram trucks were built in Canada. They may be built the SXT specifically for Canada similar to how the Lonestar is built for Texas

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Built in Canada? What's the VIN number? (you can leave the last 7 numbers off if privacy is a concern)
I wasn't aware of Ram trucks were built in Canada. They may be built the SXT specifically for Canada similar to how the Lonestar is built for Texas

I'm guessing some terminology is getting mixed up. I think they are built FOR Canada rather than IN Canada. Possibly some emissions and other regulatory crap.

OP
OP
Niederlander

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
When I used to drive from Buffalo to Toronto I swear I passed a Ram plant in Hamilton ON. Maybe it was a Ford plant [emoji848]