Canadian vehicle, US warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Friday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Brand new user here. I am in the market for a 1500 Big horn with a 5.7 hemi. I have found a truck optioned the way I would like, but understand it was originally a Canadian market vehicle. Will there be warranty issues? 2021, with under 19k on the clock. Thanks!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
IN THE UNITED STATES (INCLUDING U.S. POSSESSIONS ANDTERRITORIES) AND MEXICO:If you are travelling temporarily in the United States or Mexico, and your vehicle remains registered in Canada, your FCA Canada Inc. Warranty will still apply. Service may be requested at any authorized FCA Retailer.

IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA:If you are travelling temporarily outside of North America, and your vehicle remainsregistered in Canada, you should take your vehicle to an authorized FCA Retailer. If theauthorized retailer charges you for repairs which you feel should be covered under your warranty, please get a detailed receipt for the work done. When your vehicle returns to Canada, contact the FCA Canada Inc. Customer Assistance Centre (see page 11) for reimbursement consideration. Reimbursement will not be considered if the vehicle does not return to Canada.

IF YOU MOVE:If you are moving to another country, be sure to contact the customs department of the destination country before you move. Vehicle importation rules vary considerably from country to country. If you are moving to the United States, be sure to also contact the FCA Customer Assistance office at 1-800-992-1997 to obtain the necessary documentation to register your vehicleand to determine warranty eligibility in the U.S.

NOTICE: If your vehicle is registered outside of Canada, and you have not followed the procedure set out above, your vehicle will no longer be eligible for warranty coverage of any kind.(Vehicles registered to Canadian Government officials or military personnel on assignmentoutside of Canada will continue to be covered by the Basic Warranty.)

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Seems to be to the original owner moving from Canada and keeping ownership. Doesn’t mention anything about just selling a Canadian vehicle to a NEW owner in the USA. No expert here as I’ve never done this, but in the past reading on another “Ram” forum there was no warranty when it is sold in the US.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're purchasing from a dealership they may be willing to work with you. But I don't believe they have to honor the Canadian warranty. I do have a brother in law that purchased a Canadian truck here in Indiana. I'll reach out and ask what he knows about warranty coverage.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Canadian warranties are only valid for Canadian owners. They are 2 separate companies, it's why RamCares doesn't work for Canadians.

Same thing applies if I try to import a US Ram, I can do it but get no warranty.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Seems to be to the original owner moving from Canada and keeping ownership. Doesn’t mention anything about just selling a Canadian vehicle to a NEW owner in the USA. No expert here as I’ve never done this, but in the past reading on another “Ram” forum there was no warranty when it is sold in the US.

Correct, that's the point. There is the only way to get a US warranty on a Canadian vehicle. FCA Canada will not cover a US registered vehicle otherwise, and there is no US warranty since the US legal entity for FCA never had a legal obligation to warranty the vehicle to begin with.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not only will you have warranty issues, but uconnect as well. Not sure the nitty-gritty but something to do with FCC and the cellular abilities. These **** bags also try and "trick" people by importing them in to Ontario Ohio hoping people get confused. Always look at original window sticker to see the market it was built for.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I bought a 2018 2500 from a used car dealer in 2019. It was from Canada. In fact, me and my son both bought one from the same dealer and both got our warranties transferred. He never needed to use his warranty but I had to have my touch screen replaced and they covered it. You would have to call Chrysler. There are 2 groups, 1 can get it transferred and one can't. The one requirement is it has to have 15,000km on it (about 9300 miles). Once I hit that I called the dealer and they took care of it in Dealer Connect

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked and they are correct. Either keep searching for a truck or go into the purchase knowing you have zero warranty. I wouldn't do it based on my situation but... If it works for you then enjoy the new truck.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is also the option of an aftermarket warranty. I looked into that when I first bought mine as initially I was told I couldn't transfer the warranty.
I'll add more here since I was in a rush last night when I posted.

My understanding is that fleet vehicles can have the warranty transferred. The place I bought mine from buys most of their vehicles at an auction where most of the cars are from Canada. Most manufacturers have no restrictions on warranty transfer. My step-son bought a 2018 GMC Sierra that was originally from Canada and his warranty was automatically honored. He didn't have to do anything. For mine I had called Chrysler and was initially told I could not transfer it. I called about 4 or 5 times and was hit or miss as to which person answered. Finally one gave me the info I needed. All I had to do was hit 9300-ish miles then contact my local dealer and they could do it through Dealer Connect. The first dealer I called said they could not do it and had never done it. The 2nd dealer had it done in less than 5 minutes. And my warranty work was covered under the first dealer that said they had never done it...lol

Good luck

OP
OP
Joe Friday

Joe Friday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks to all who responded. I ultimately passed on this vehicle for the potential warranty issues, along with concerns with uConnect functionality. I have purchased another 2021 Ram, and verified that warranty coverage was still in force and transferable.

HawkSERE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brand new user here. I am in the market for a 1500 Big horn with a 5.7 hemi. I have found a truck optioned the way I would like, but understand it was originally a Canadian market vehicle. Will there be warranty issues? 2021, with under 19k on the clock. Thanks!
I live in U.S. I just bought a 2021 Ram from Canada. Ram/Dodge will not honor the warranty. I bought a five year plan (mirrors the warranty) from AUL (through the dealer) for peace of mind. Had AUL on my Tundra I had and they treated me very well.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a Canadian Ram....... No issues...... come to find out my Canadian truck has options the US Cali ones don't......

Let me guess, if you nudge someone by accident it says "sorry"?

Stupid joke. Sorry.

But I am curious how our trucks our different? I'm aware of the daytime running lights but other than that?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't noticed anything other than the DRL. I do have the cold weather package but pretty sure that could have been optioned in the U.S. too?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am sure all the boys in the northern states will have block heaters as well.
out on the west coast it don't usually get real cold.
I have a 2008 Honda CRV for her, big deal at that time with people going to US and buying new cars because of difference in $.
Dealer told me that any US Honda's had no warranty in Canada, and visa versa
I usually buy all my stuff local, so a non issue for me.