Caution – air suspension shocks are over $500 each

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was curious about how much it will cost when it is time to replace my shocks on the 2014 Laramie.
I am not sure how long the shocks inside the air suspension cylinder will last, but when it comes time for replacement, the parts alone will be pretty expensive.

The equivalent air suspension shock for a Grand Cherokee is about $525 each.
And since the system is filled with nitrogen, it takes special equipment to recharge the system after replacing the shocks.

I am on the fence on getting the extended warranty, replacing the truck after the 3yr warranty is up, or gambling on not having to replace the shocks for a long time.

Does anyone know how long these shocks usually last?

Dan

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Might as well buy lifetime maxcare. It's 2k, figure thats your shocks right there

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that's a lot for shocks! Not sure how long they will last, but for that price, I would hope a looong time.

jc55..Your warranty wouldn't cover them except for a defect or something like that. They won't replace them due to regular wear and tear.

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow that's a lot for shocks! Not sure how long they will last, but for that price, I would hope a looong time.

jc55..Your warranty wouldn't cover them except for a defect or something like that. They won't replace them due to regular wear and tear.

Good point...but could they argue that I wore out the shocks in under 36K miles??

Dan

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

This has been contested before, and I have confirmed with Chrysler MaxCare that air suspension shocks ARE covered under warranty. They are not wear items like brake pads or wiper blades.

http://www.ramforum.com/801528-post50.html

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
My Mercedes air shock were double that cost; replaced two under the extended warranty, at around 80k mikes and higher. They didn't question. However I would make sure you have a Chrysler warranty, not aftermarket! I could see an aftermarket extended warranty excluding air shocks.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Air suspension on trucks is a new thing, so the cost is going to be high.

I think in the next couple years as things get more stream-lined and more trucks get optioned with air suspension I think the price of the parts will go down.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
There is a company that rebuilds the Mercedes air shocks for about 40% of the cost of new MB shocks. I am sure they will step up to rebuild these shocks since the market is much larger.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Warranty all the way man...max it out for as long as you will keep the truck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes, I definitely made sure to contact Chrysler before I placed the order for my truck with the air suspension. It's a great concept and people seem to love them when they work right, but they've had some growing pains. Hopefully, over time, they'll iron out all the kinks. The MaxCare covering it was a necessity to have it on my order sheet.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Just look at the history of them. It's not good, if Mercedes have problems with them you damn well a DODGE will..lol

With that said. I would love to have it on my truck....hahahaha

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently sold my STS Caddy and the rear air shocks were of an 'active' type and ran about $1200 each but fortunately there were passive replacements being made in the aftermarket for about 200

I mulled the air suspension option over very carefully and taking into consideration all the troubles that MB and other high end manufacturers have had I opted to go straight coils and installed an AirLift 1000 kit for a hundred bucks. I have had good success with those previously and a replacement bag is cheap and easy to slip into place

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
I wouldn't say my Mercedes had trouble, they just wore out as I approached 100k. I just planned ahead with an extended warranty which covered the replacement. I never regretted getting air on the Merc; it had awesome performance. And now love the same on the Ram.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's not that bad....a good quality shock these days is over $100, and a top of the line one will run you even more.