CD player removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devyn Harbison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently upgraded from the factory 8.4 ra4 uconnect in my 2013 ram 1500 sport with a aftermarket head unit with a built in CD player. So the factory CD player in the armrest area is no longer needed is there a way to remove it and replace it with a factory trim piece with out the radio in it? Was hoping to put a console safe in there without the CD player in it. Does anyone know where I can get the center console lining without the CD player? Do they make it. Or am I stuck with the old non-needed cd player in it. Is it hard to remove?
Let me know if this isn’t appropriate here and I can move it to a different thread. Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer for your question. I am curious about how you access your settings now. Considering going aftermarket myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded from the factory 8.4 ra4 uconnect in my 2013 ram 1500 sport with a aftermarket head unit with a built in CD player. So the factory CD player in the armrest area is no longer needed is there a way to remove it and replace it with a factory trim piece with out the radio in it? Was hoping to put a console safe in there without the CD player in it. Does anyone know where I can get the center console lining without the CD player? Do they make it. Or am I stuck with the old non-needed cd player in it. Is it hard to remove?
Let me know if this isn’t appropriate here and I can move it to a different thread. Any help is appreciated.
Do you have the jumpseat/flip down console or the full console? With the full console it looks like you would have to replace the inside liner to get rid of the CD player part. I had the CD player in my 2015 RAM and do not in my current RAM both with the full console. There isn't a plate where the CD player would be at so I assume they both have a different plastic liner. Maybe hard to find too. If you can't find one I'd make my own if I were you and sell the CD player.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am assuming you have full floor console.if so no.there are two console bases one with cd and one without. You would have to replace the whole console base. You can remove the cd player itself but the base will be unaffected.they make console vaults for either one or you can get a non cd base.unless mopar has caught it there is a part number for a base that has a cost of 100.00.but shipping is around 40.00 and when you order it from mopar the way they have it boxed it's 50/50 if it's received with broken tabs or not.I scored a new from mopor cd base that came with the cd player installed for 98.00.the price of the cd player by its self is 160.00.go figure

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer for your question. I am curious about how you access your settings now. Considering going aftermarket myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are adapters you buy and install with the aftermarket head unit that retain the settings.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas

Bsbdays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Do you have the jumpseat/flip down console or the full console? With the full console it looks like you would have to replace the inside liner to get rid of the CD player part. I had the CD player in my 2015 RAM and do not in my current RAM both with the full console. There isn't a plate where the CD player would be at so I assume they both have a different plastic liner. Maybe hard to find too. If you can't find one I'd make my own if I were you and sell the CD player.
How do you removed cd player?

Bsbdays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
How do you remove the cd player from the console compartment?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
stolen from over on the Z, that some of us used to belong to
may be from a 2013 Ram

converted from the CD tray to the non-CD tray without removing the seat at all. The key is to undo all the bolts and screws on the tray also remove the cushion part which is held on by two hex bolts on both sides. The cushion is the part that closes the tray. Once you remove that cushion and you have to then lift the tray SLOWLY, and you need to make sure its at an angle. The CD wiring harness is attached to the passenger side. So when lifting lift up on the drive side and try your best to keep the passanger side in place. Eventually once you have lifted it enough you will be able to see the cable and put your hand in and undo the cable. Then its easy peazy just finish removing the tray and put in the new non-cd tray version, or if you are replacing the cd play this could work to.

same conversation, different thinking

· Jan 7, 2015 (Edited)
Removing the CD player itself will not give you any more storage room, you will also need to remove and replace or modify the lower tray as well. You probably don't want to hear this but the best way to do this is to remove the bucket seats from the truck. Remember to discharge the airbags by disconnecting the battery for several minutes first. The reason is in order to remove the CD player and tray you need to access 8 bolts (item A) that hold the tray in, four of them require partial removal of the upholstery by unhooking plastic clips (item B) for access. These four are located on the sides of the jump-seat. The other four are removed from the top inside the storage tray. You may be able to do this without removing buckets but I would not, it’s much easier with buckets out. I found this out by going the opposite way I wanted to add the CD player. I found one in a new jump-seat on ebay, but I had to change the upholstery on it first, so I know how it comes apart. Once all screws are out tilt tray toward back and lift off hinges, unplug harness from CD player and install new or modified tray. I switched the upholstery, removed all three seats and installed new jump-seat and put original buckets back in about 4 hours. This should take you about 2 hours give or take.

1703654638571.png

1703654687725.png