Ceramic coating really needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys,

So I'm going to be ordering some longtube headers soon and I'm curious what your guy's thoughts are on getting a ceramic coating put on them? Is it really needed on these trucks? I'm not sure how close the tubing will be to things like brake lines and such; I'll probably going with the ARHs.

Thanks

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ceramic coating isn't just for looking pretty. It helps keep heat IN the header, increasing their effectiveness. The coating will also help to prevent corrosion. Yes it adds to the cost of the headers, but if you're already ready to pony up for a set of long tubes, go ahead and get the ceramic coating so you can get the most out of them.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea I know it reduces the heat a lot, but just curious if it is really "needed" on these trucks. I heard that some longtube headers are too close to things like brake lines and cooking brake fluid is not a good thing.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No, it's not "needed", but then again, neither are the headers...

It's worth it IMO, but only if you get the inside of the headers coated. The outside is less important than the inside.

I recommend Jet-Hot.

Tomater03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My opinion, I wouldn't get headers without it. Ceramic coating can have as much as a 600-800 degree difference in surface temperature and that all helps heat soak, IAT's, engine and trans temps, etc. spend the money man. You won't be sorry

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My opinion, I wouldn't get headers without it. Ceramic coating can have as much as a 600-800 degree difference in surface temperature and that all helps heat soak, IAT's, engine and trans temps, etc. spend the money man. You won't be sorry

Damn, 600-800 degree difference is massive! I think I will have that done then.

Thanks guys!

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Damn, 600-800 degree difference is massive! I think I will have that done then.

Thanks guys!

I've heard of pretty high numbers like above, during an engine dyno on a race engine running VP-110. Separate dyno sessions, in between the two the headers were ceramic coated.

on our trucks more like 200-300 degrees. Still significant enough that it is worth it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
On paper, the coating is well worth it. In real world results, it doesnt affect performance as much as some people think. I think 1 of the header tests you posted a few days ago even compared coated headers, and it was only a 1-2hp difference.

Unless you sit at idle for hours at a time, I dont think it is needed. These engine bays are big, so when you are moving, there is enough air flowing through there to keep unerhood temps down.

It definitely isnt going to hurt anything to get them coated, but if that extra couple hundred dollars is going to put you in a bad spot, then I woulnt worry about it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The fact that ARH headers are 304 stainless helps as well. If you were talking a mild steel header, then I would say to absolutely get them coated. A high quality stainless like ARH uses may discolor over time, but it isnt going to rust or fall apart like an uncoated mild steel header would.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, I wasn't even thinking about the performance aspect of ceramic, mainly just keeping the heat down added by the longtubes. Yea stainless discoloring over time doesn't bother me, but since I have never tried ceramic coated headers before, I think I will give it a shot. Thanks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
If you can afford it, then it is worth doing. I sent my ARH headers to Jet Hot to be ceramic coated as well. I did it more for looks though because I always have the hood open at the track.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the headers on my Buick coated by a company called aesthetic finishers and it was worth every penny imho. Ran about $350 iirc.

493bc318cd86b54bda1a2000fe0e735f.jpg