Check Engine Light-"Service Trans"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
So while driving yesterday my check engine light came on and the dashboard said "Service Trans." My truck is at the dealership once again and I am at approx 2700 miles.

Any one have any knowledge about this?

@ramcares ??

IMG_1347.jpg

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Got my truck back today. They said the check engine light was caused by snow getting frozen around the transfer case. My dealership said they has been a common problem for the past 2yrs with Rams. My dealership said FCA is aware of this and yet made a fix for it.

My dealer said the skid plates I got with the Off Road Package is compacting the snow and not helping this issue. So anyone that lives in a state that has snow and has the off road package right have this issue.

My dealer also said they had 3 other rams in the past 48hrs for the same issue.

They told me the skid plates are like shovels and the snow freezes in them

Last edited:

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if it's related, but I had something similar happen to my 2016 RAM 1500 about 2 winters ago in Colorado Springs. I had run through a fairly deep snow bank on my way to work and when I arrived the transmission would not go into park and kept giving me a dashboard message about transmission service. I drove it around a bumpy area hoping to loosen any snow pack under the truck and after about 30 minutes it eventually went in to park. Later that day after work everything was back to normal with no more dashboard messages.

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
I don't know if it's related, but I had something similar happen to my 2016 RAM 1500 about 2 winters ago in Colorado Springs. I had run through a fairly deep snow bank on my way to work and when I arrived the transmission would not go into park and kept giving me a dashboard message about transmission service. I drove it around a bumpy area hoping to loosen any snow pack under the truck and after about 30 minutes it eventually went in to park. Later that day after work everything was back to normal with no more dashboard messages.
sounds exactly like my issue

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds exactly like my issue

Also, the PITA thing about this situation is that I could turn the truck off but couldn't take the key fob out of the ignition. That is why I ended up driving around trying to loosen everything up because there was no way in hell I was leaving my new truck sitting in the parking lot for 8 hours with the key in the ignition. Way too tempting for car thieves....LOL.

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Also, the PITA thing about this situation is that I could turn the truck off but couldn't take the key fob out of the ignition. That is why I ended up driving around trying to loosen everything up because there was no way in hell I was leaving my new truck sitting in the parking lot for 8 hours with the key in the ignition. Way too tempting for car thieves....LOL.
yep dealership also stated people complained about that too

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have to leave the key fob in the ignition, pull the starter solenoid relay and fuel pump fuse. To lock the doors, use the power lock button before you open the driver's door, the door will open when you pull the handle. Push the lock stem down manually. Don't forget to door lock key with you.

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have to leave the key fob in the ignition, pull the starter solenoid relay and fuel pump fuse. To lock the doors, use the power lock button before you open the driver's door, the door will open when you pull the handle. Push the lock stem down manually. Don't forget to door lock key with you.

Thanks for the tip. I'll store this for future use in the event it happens again....

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
p0850 & p1b13 These are the code codes stored in the DTC that my dealership told me that caused the check engine light.

p1b13 = "Park-By-Wire unintended out of park position"
p0850 = "Park/neutral position (PNP) switch -input circuit malfunction"

If I am wrong please someone correct me because I am also curious on these above codes meanings.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
p1b13 = "Park-By-Wire unintended out of park position"
p0850 = "Park/neutral position (PNP) switch -input circuit malfunction"
Being the transmission is shift by wire, the codes suggest that the transmission parking pawl didn't set or the sensor for it malfunctioned.

OP
OP
alacombe

alacombe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Being the transmission is shift by wire, the codes suggest that the transmission parking pawl didn't set or the sensor for it malfunctioned.
Well according to my dealer the skid plates collected a ton of snow which then froze around the transfer case causing this issue. They stated the skid plates with the off road package is like shovel. They also stated this can occur even if you don't have skid plates and they stated this has been occurring the past 2yrs with other ram models which FCA has yet a fix for it but is aware of it.

Are you stating my dealership is wrong?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88