Check Gauge Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sbraman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently the Check Gauge light has come on in my 06' Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn.
I've checked everything related to the gauge cluster/dashboard. Oil level (and color) are fine, coolant levels are good, tranny fluid is good and i have just installed a new battery and starter (so the volt meter is good as well)...
The only noticeable thing is the tach not working properly, although i have to add the tach in this truck has never worked properly. When idling the needle will rest at 0 rpms and slowly increase as i drive/rev.
Ive checked the engine rpms vs. the tach rpms with an OBDII reader that shows live updates.
And everything is working properly...
Is there anything else i could miss?!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you checked for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) with your scanner or had any codes read at an auto parts store?

OP
OP
S

Sbraman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update...
I'm an idiot, the problem was the gas cap not being tightened down all the way.
I just checked it on a whim and noticed it wasnt tightened. Check Gauge light went right away.
Thank you for responding so quickly @MADDOG
Sorry for wasting you're time lol

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No worries at all. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

JonnYuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since we're here, what does everyone like for a basic scanner?
I used to have an Accutron but it got loaned-out a long time ago and I'm pretty sure it's a goner. Also, it's been several yrs since I've even owned a vehicle new enough to need one... I'm sure they've improved and changed a bit.