Is windshied broken or chipped on your 4th gen RAM

• Broken

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Chipped

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Intact

Votes: 33 50.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you guys get new windshields , do they come with the rams head in the center??? On top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TA462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only ever replaced one windshield in all the cars I've ever owned, it was a 91 Cavalier and a bird actually hit it and broke it. I've owned around 30 vehicles so far, half of them new and that's the only one I've ever replaced. People who tend to get stone chips in their windshields are people who drive way to close to the car in front of them. That's a true fact. The OP even said he drives 4 to 5 car lengths behind the car in front of them. Try driving a little farther behind, like 8 car lengths and you will never have another stone chip.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've only ever replaced one windshield in all the cars I've ever owned, it was a 91 Cavalier and a bird actually hit it and broke it. I've owned around 30 vehicles so far, half of them new and that's the only one I've ever replaced. People who tend to get stone chips in their windshields are people who drive way to close to the car in front of them. That's a true fact. The OP even said he drives 4 to 5 car lengths behind the car in front of them. Try driving a little farther behind, like 8 car lengths and you will never have another stone chip.

The last chip that lead to a severe crack and replacement windshield was from a truck/trailer going the opposite direction. Somehow a rock flung out of the bed of the truck or trailer and smacked the windshield dead center drivers side view.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When you guys get new windshields , do they come with the rams head in the center??? On top

Mine all do. They replace it with whatever it came with.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure its an FCA issue, get a new windshield about once a year on all my vehicles - Have a Ram, old (79) Dodge, Chevy and Ford. No windshield lasts
Every pickup I have ever owned since the ‘80’s at some point took a rock and chipped or cracked. I can’t have that much bad luck, must be the height the truck sit or something.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I believe I've had three windshields replaced over the years. One was simply etched by windblown sand. The other two were shot with a pellet gun or similar. If I'm not mistaken, it was covered under the comprehensive insurance, so no deductible. I don't wait for the little "star" to send a crack across the windshield. I go have it replaced.

Urch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been driving since 1984 and never replaced a windshield yet. Maybe should have but just wasnt in a bad enough place. Had a pheasant come up and break my side mirror once, that woke me up. Had a stone come in the side window and break the back window and must have narrowly missed my hand on the door. That would have broke my knuckle had it hit it.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I picked up a chip the first week I had my truck, I saw where the rock came from that hit the windshield.
I had the glass replaced with another OEM windshield and haven't had another chip in over 100,000 miles.

Your glass is not defective.....You just have bad luck.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
A little off topic but if you go get the chip fixed before it spreads it will be basically invisible depending on how bad it is and a lot of insurances will cover it without paying any deductible. A lot less chance of things going wrong compared to a complete windshield change. The one Chip that I have had in 20,000 almost all highway miles was a huge rock that actually made two large chips side-by-side. Even after chip repair it was still visible and directly in my line of sight so I had it changed.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Reading these posts reminded me that one time, the glass company did a repair first on the damaged windshield and rejected it (not good enough), so they proceeded to replace the windshield. I saw the repaired spot and they were right. It wasn't quite clear glass where it was repaired. It looked weird.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The repairs rarely look perfect. Thats why if its in the drivers direct line of sight they replace the windshield. It just keeps it from cracking.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont think there is s defect. I have one rock chip in mind from 2 years ago. Never had it sealed didn't do anything. It has not grew still the same size. I want to replace it bit its not in any field of view. After this winter I am going to polish the windshield due to it's a magnet for all rocks on the road not matter the following distance.

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Rocks on the roadway, and potential rocks being thrown against cars seem to have more to do with what part of the country you live/drive in. I've found that dryer climates have less grass along the roadside, and are more prone to rocks being thrown or blown onto the roadway from cars or wind. . And southern states with more rain, longer growing seasons have thick, lush grass along the roadway, which keeps wind-driven dirt and debris from being blown across the road.

The plains states Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Nebraska, North and South Dakota seem to have the hardest, and most consistent wind blowing north to south, and along I-40, I-44, or I-70 you can literally watch as dust and large swaths of dirt are blown onto and off the roadway, giving a great new replenishment of potential projectiles.

I tend to replace my windshield every 4-5 years whether it has a rock ding or not. The sand pitting is enough to be a problem in sunrise or sunset situations. It's also a great way to head off any dried-out weather stripping, and leaks.

SRRouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I caught a rock on the drivers side edge when my '19 ram was less than a month old. Crack ran about 10 inches before I got home. The only thing the finance guy talked me into was a windshield policy. Just under $600, no deductible, will patch or replace for 3 years. Invoice for a new RAM windshield was about a grand.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh boy, another "SAFETY ISSUE"!!!! Damn these Ram trucks are just death traps aren't they..... I wonder if Boeing had anything to do with building these trucks???

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh boy, another "SAFETY ISSUE"!!!! Damn these Ram trucks are just death traps aren't they..... I wonder if Boeing had anything to do with building these trucks???

I dont think boeing is involved other wise the trucks would be randomly running people over when auto park fails :D

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I dont think boeing is involved other wise the trucks would be randomly running people over when auto park fails :D
A known issue with Mustangs
upload_2019-3-25_10-49-46.png

Seriously OP. As was stated above, nothing wrong with your windshield. The roads in Alaska are filthy - ESPECIALLY this time of year before the sand and gravel from winter gets rinsed off or gets swept up. I have 3 or 4 chips in my original (repaired, so no cracking), **** happens... don't follow vehicles in front so closely maybe... I've found that if I drop a little further back, I don't catch so many rocks.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A known issue with Mustangs
View attachment 160366

Seriously OP. As was stated above, nothing wrong with your windshield. The roads in Alaska are filthy - ESPECIALLY this time of year before the sand and gravel from winter gets rinsed off or gets swept up. I have 3 or 4 chips in my original (repaired, so no cracking), **** happens... don't follow vehicles in front so closely maybe... I've found that if I drop a little further back, I don't catch so many rocks.

I know right lmao .. yup but my windshield doesn't matter how far they are away. I still get hit with rocks lmao. The one chip I got I was 100ft from the nearest car. Saw the rock in the air about 25ft then wack.

mustang.png

OP
OP
Hauling Pillows

Hauling Pillows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The OP even said he drives 4 to 5 car lengths behind the car in front of them. Try driving a little farther behind, like 8 car lengths and you will never have another stone chip.

Thanks for pointing that out but, NO, I drive far enough. I meant to say 4-5 seconds but stated 4-5 car lengths.

OP
OP
Hauling Pillows

Hauling Pillows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove many vehicles over the years and chips never happened. I was driving down the highway in E-150 at around 60mph, when a rock size of tennis ball fell of the dump truck and smacked the windshield right in the middle, I braced myself as I expected the impact (no way to swerve to avoid it), and after a giant BANG there was not a single mark on the windshield.
Now I got this RAM and every week there's new one. I literally watched 3 times, rock half the size of tic-tac hit the shield and leave a mark. I never had that with ANY other vehicle. I guess it could be a bad luck but don't tell me that every rock that hits the windshield should leave a mark on it. Now these are pin-head size chips, but they are chips. I have never seen that type of damage on any other vehicle I drove before