Classic question, MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamst60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 RAM 2500 5.7 HEMI. I bought it a couple of months ago. I have 166,000 miles on it. My first tank of gas I showed 14.5 MPG. My next tank was like 14 MPG. I bought a superchips flash paq and set it on the fuel mileage setting. My next tank of fuel was 13.6. I changed it to the 87 octane setting and showed 13.1. I went back to stock and still showed 13.1. I updated the flash paq and went back to the fuel mileage setting. I'm still on the first tank of fuel since then so I do not have any numbers. I also bought a tonneau cover which I plan to install tomorrow. I will be getting an exhaust and cold air intake but that will be later. So long story short, can anyone tell me how and what settings I should do on the programmer to get the best MPG? Also if anyone has any great facts on MPG improvement I would be grateful!!!

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you calculating by hand or looking at the overhead display? Display is usually wrong. All those mods will probably net you a 1-2 mpg gain. 2 is pushing it. Not sure what's going on with your tuner though. The tuner is your best bet for mpg gains. Don't buy mods strictly for mpg gains, it often takes years to offset the price of mods with money saved on gas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
The way you drive will likely have a much larger impact on your MPG than any mod. Save your money.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hand calculate, make sure your spark plugs are good, run Seafoam through the gas, make sure your tires are rotated and up to proper pressure.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The weather has changed in the last few months - aka "a couple of months ago."

Be sure you aren't comparing winter blend fuel to non-winter blend fuel.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Always got worse mileage than stock on the mileage tunes on both superchips and Diablo. Best mileage was always with the performance tunes. The mileage tunes detune the vehicle when really they should maximize the performance and make the vehicle run better and more efficiently.

Next the weather cooling down and the switch between summer and winter blend gas will also cause the mileage to suffer a little. While we are on the winter subject, temperature drop also causes the tire pressure to drop as well which could also affect mileage.

OP
OP
S

stamst60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the input. I always calculate by hand. My tires are brand new. I prefer transmission fluid in my fuel rather than any other additives like sea foam or lucas. I drive very conservable, easy take off, slow acceleration and allow plenty of room for stopping. I did not take into consideration the winter blend fuel. I got the super chips for almost nothing so I decided to try it. The only performance tune it has is the performance 91. Which I am assuming would mean that I have to use 91 octane. With this being said, the cost of 91 octane compared to the mpg received probably is not going to balance out. Is the 91 octane necessary with this tune? What about transmission shift point changes?