Clean, low profile step for Ram Reg Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Ram R/T which is a reg cab. I am not into lowering it but want a set of steps to make it easier when my wife or daughter ride in the truck. Also to help keep the wear down on the seats.

I have been looking at the AMP steps since they also work on the reg cab and really like them. Before I pull the trigger in a set of steps that are that expensive, I was wondering if there are some solid ones out there that are functional but hug close to the truck. I have been looking and haven't seen anything so figured I would ask.

I know blasphemy to put steps on an R/T or so i've been told. That being said it is still a truck.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Dee Zee NXt - low profile - Cheap and effective.

Attachments

• Dee Zee NXt.jpg
    Dee Zee NXt.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 411

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe look into Nfabs. I know they are more for offroad/lifted trucks, but they are low profile and actually blend in with the underside of the truck pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The factory steps are tucked up to the cab pretty close check you local stealership and see if there's one there you can try getting in and out of.

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can look into rocker guards. Some of them have steps on them and there made to hug the rockers to protect them in off-road situations. I didn't think I would like something like that but my brother ended up getting a set for himself and got me thinking about some.
Should be able to find them at any off-road parts dealer, or just simply Google them. Good luck and post a pic if you find something worth thinking about. I'd like to see these rocker guards for our trucks take off. I really like them.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies, i'll look into the NXT boards and the rocker guards.

Does anyone out there have really detailed pics of the molar aluminum boards as well. I don't think they are what i want but worth looking at.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Check my photo album...I have the black Mopar aluminum running boards on my CC...

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i'm reviving this again. Still on the fence with my truck. I have looked at lowering it but I do tow a small teardrop camper. Because of that i really am not sure if lowering it would be a great idea.

If I go with steps it's down to two. The black Mopar aluminum side steps which I can get right now for less than $200 new. The other option is the Dee Zee NXT mentioned previously. If I go that route it's either going to be all black or black with the chrome strip.

Now looking at them they are similar with some noticeable differences. The molar ones just use rivnuts into the body toe mount them. I have read horror stories about the body bending the warping. I may have a solution, see below. The step pads on them are only in a smaller area where you would normally step and the rest is just the painted surface. There would be potential for them to be scratched.

On the NXT's they also mount with rivnuts but also have a bracket that bolts to the main bracket that attaches in the holes in the lower rocker lip. This seems stronger to me and less flex. I also like that these can be adjusted fore and after and well as placed closer to the body.

To strengthen them I am going to order the reinforcement plates from Amp that go behind where you put the rivnuts in. When you do this the rivnuts compresses it and the body panel at the same time. They are cheap and what I believe part of the reason the AMP steps are so rock solid. I know they are built great but they also don't flex. I wanted the power steps but just cannot come to shell out that much going from some steps.

Anybody else ave an opinion on the steps and finishes. I ave thought if I buy the Mopar ones to have them painted to match the truck. On a flame red R/T I am not sure if it would look good or not. White, silver, and black always do but sometimes red not so much. The chrome edge of the NXT's is an idea but I want the truck to keep it's sport look and not look more dressed up.

Any thoughts or options would be appreciated.

ChuckLHC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Hunter

I have a 15 Ram 2500 Crew. I bought the AMP running boards and
absolutely love them. For a crew they are around $1500 installed. I got a deal thru my dealer for 20% off, so they were a litte over $1200 installed. You can find others much cheaper but the AMP extend out 14" ( compared to the 3" you'll get from standard bars) and retract tight up against the truck when not in use. You can lock them out so you can stand on them while the door is closed (to wash the windows ect.)
Well worth the money. I think AMAZON had the best price if you want to install them yourself. Read the installation reviews before you decide. I did and decided to have them Installed.
Good Luck!