CO Gas Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, I recently picked up a 2020 ram warlock with the hemi and I wanted to ask because it’s obviously different than my old 2012 Jeep with the same engine. That jeep specifically stated that it had to have mid grade I think, but I’m wondering because I’m seeing that it’s perfectly OK to use regular gas as well… I live in Colorado over 5000 feet and up here we use 85 for regular and 87 for mid grade.. does anyone know or have any issues with running the 85 up here at altitude? I know it’s supposed to get better the higher you go and less likely to knock but I just want to find out anyone who else has already done it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can run it, You may have a slight reduction in power and mpg though. if it detects knocking it will adjust the timing accordingly, hence the lower performance and mpg.

OP
OP
trainthemane7

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can run it, You may have a slight reduction in power and mpg though. if it detects knocking it will adjust the timing accordingly, hence the lower performance and mpg.

Great, thanks for the quick reply!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try it. If you notice and pinging or anything else out of the ordinary then move up to the next octane and so on. The owners manual may say run a certain octane for "optimum" performance but as long as the engine doesn't start pinging you'll be fine. Run a couple tanks through it and see how it goes. Both my 11 and 21 with the 5.7 hemi I always used 87 which is our low grade and both run fine on it

OP
OP
trainthemane7

trainthemane7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try it. If you notice and pinging or anything else out of the ordinary then move up to the next octane and so on. The owners manual may say run a certain octane for "optimum" performance but as long as the engine doesn't start pinging you'll be fine. Run a couple tanks through it and see how it goes. Both my 11 and 21 with the 5.7 hemi I always used 87 which is our low grade and both run fine on it
Good to know, I’m trying a quarter tank with the 85 regular and then I’ll do a quarter with the 87 mid grade. Sounds good no issues, so well probably good.