Code P2183 on two month old 2021 Ram Ecodiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Hi all,

Got a check engine light today. The code is p2183. Anyone got a pic of where that sensor is so I can have a quick look at it?

The dealer is booked until 20 Jan. Half of the techs are out with COVID. :(

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Kenobi

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel

View attachment 481965

There may actually be 2 of them. Since U got a 2021, MY first trip be to a dealer. Replacement for this sensor is $143 to whateva. Best I could find.
Thanks for that info. Still freshly under warranty, just sucks I gotta wait two weeks to see the dealer.

It's also a 'permanent' code, so I can't clear to see if it comes back.

Oh well, it runs fine (for now).

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U cannot clear perm codes with a regular reader. Most times the perm code will only clear when the Fault condition is corrected. I sure as heck would not run anymore than I had to till got into dealer. There are some articles stating bad sensor can cause some issues, but U got to read with a grain of salt. Maybe U can try another dealership to get truck into if possible? Just saying. Your ride, so good luck on this.

OP
OP
Kenobi

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
So after letting the truck sit several days, I started it up again. CEL was off and the code was GONE.

I drove for another week before taking to the dealer (had to wait 2 weeks for an appt), and they found nothing as well.

Very, very odd.

Upnorthwi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Have same code 3 months 2123 miles. Appointment tomorrow had to wait a week.

Upnorthwi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Well trip to dealer didn’t produce a fix. Code is still there and from what they can tell it’s a temp sensor in rear differential. They opened a Star case with the mothership. Sensor delivery is a week plus.Tell me it’s not strange. my first question was how is fluid level. And answer was we checked it’s full. Its around 10 below zero and wasn’t going to crawl under To check myself. In meantime I bought a BlueDriver reader and downloaded all the info. Sucks on a new vehicle…

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well trip to dealer didn’t produce a fix. Code is still there and from what they can tell it’s a temp sensor in rear differential. They opened a Star case with the mothership. Sensor delivery is a week plus.Tell me it’s not strange. my first question was how is fluid level. And answer was we checked it’s full. Its around 10 below zero and wasn’t going to crawl under To check myself. In meantime I bought a BlueDriver reader and downloaded all the info. Sucks on a new vehicle…
I read a few months ago that Toyota lowered ther standards on parts for new cars while COVID shortages remain in play. Can’t help but think all auto mfg s have done this also.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Upnorthwi
What was the temperature outside when it happened
was it near -30 ?