Connecting an aftermarket front camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

I've been reading the forum for a while now (learned a lot, thanks!), but this is my first post here…

I’m interested in adding a front camera to my 2015 reg cab sport with 8.4nav VP4, with factory reverse camera. I read in the forum that may be possible to use the cargo cam input on the radio, connecting the front camera there. Just to see what happen, using alfaOBD I activated the cargo cam (without a 2nd camera yet). Initially seemed to work ok, as the cargo cam button showed on the screen… But sadly, the reverse camera stopped working (I have to activate it manually on the screen each time I need it). If I deactivate the cargo cam with alfa, everything goes back to normal. Now I dont know if actually connecting a 2nd camera would make the system work ok… maybe with the correct harness?

Thoughts? Any idea will be really appreciated.
Thanks

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
No go then.
On 13-15 8.4 radios, only SW version 17.11.x allowed both Cameras to be used together. All other sw versions are one or the other. v18.x is coming out to fix a GPS location issue that is supposed to rear it's head on Nov 3rd (think y2k style bug).

2016+ 8.4 radios currently support both cameras on all SW versions. Your other option beside a newer radio is to get a camera interface module from PAC, Customtronix, Crux, or LockPick

M² Mods.

OP
OP
G

Geo2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really good news, but very useful info to clarify my options... Thanks!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Geo2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thank you for your reply, but over a grand for the radio upgrade, plus the required connectors, harnesses, etc and the cam itself, is way out of my budget right now... But having carplay sounds quite interesting, so .... maybe in the future...

Agains, thanks a lot...
FGS

OP
OP
G

Geo2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No doubt... but already spent near 4K in audio upgrade and wife isn't particularly happy with that... If I tell her I'm planning to spend 2K more...Ouch!... don't want to imagine that...So please, better stop giving that kind of advises lol

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
jesus grow some balls, j/k happy wife happy life. i know how it is. enjoy your sound system and do it when its a good decision. cheers brother

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Check customtronix. They sell a harness, program and front camera. I've been using one for 2 years without issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
If you think about doing the radio upgrade, you should consider the 2018 8.4 UAQ UAS radio upgrade so you get Android Auto/ CarPlay and the extra cargo cam video input.

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM.

Not sure if your Sport already has Dual Zone ATC or not...
How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck.

M² Mods.

Yep I finally just ordered the new carplay UAQ radio is a front camera to be used as the cargo cam input plug and play with rca input then? Sound like that is the case which would be great news.

MDG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check customtronix. They sell a harness, program and front camera. I've been using one for 2 years without issue.

Which one do you have ? I am thinking about getting the enigma premium with Apple TV and front camera.

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a person who uses Google maps, waze, music steaming services I can use voice and the big screen for all. Using voice to tell Google assistant or Siri (I used both) to take me somewhere and just say the whole command including the address is really on par with the newest car tech.

I've used ram, acura, Subaru and Lexus nav systems and none are as good as g maps for live traffic. I also live in NJ so with the amount of cars on the road here it saved me from sitting in traffic more than I can count

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Which one do you have ? I am thinking about getting the enigma premium with Apple TV and front camera.
I got it a couple years ago. Ay the time it was called silver package.

Sootguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
so I have a question for the group...
I want to add a front camera and I also want to add an amazon fire stick. I know both can be done with the Zautomotive

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/hdmi-av-kit/

I do have the cd/DVD player in my center console could I in theory disconnect the cd player and use that for the firestick and then the other aux for the camera?