Considering Carven competitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently have the Carven progressive series(resonators in place) and 5” black ceramic tips. While I do enjoy it thoroughly. There is a bit of me wondering how much louder the competitor is and maybe craving a little more from the exhaust. Carvens recent video with clips of both makes it seem like in cab noise isn’t much different. Truck is my daily driver (‘16 rebel w/ 3.92). I also have two kids 20 months and 3.5yrs old. Currently the progressive doesn’t stop them from naps. Nor does it prevent me from hearing their requests/demands. I live in a neighborhood and no one has every complained bout my current cold starts. Prob cuz 2 house down I got a guy with a LT header challenger and a guy the street behind me with a big il Mopar old school charger with no hood and loud as hell.

Looking to see if anyone has made a switch between carvens and their thoughts. Is it just a volume difference or a tone difference.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No one has switched between Carvens? Lol well damn.

Other reason thinking it can’t be that much louder is it’s my understanding on 2019 kits they no longer offer the progressive... so competitor can’t be so loud it wouldn’t apply to most customers

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do happen to switch to the competitor would you consider selling your progressive? I have a '16 sport, 4x4, 3.92 as well and the price for brand new up here in Canada is crazy

Abacus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure where you are located but I ordered a competitor by accident when I meant to order the progressive. I still have in the box. I know it would be too loud for me. Then I let it sit and never returned it. We could swap.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do happen to switch to the competitor would you consider selling your progressive? I have a '16 sport, 4x4, 3.92 as well and the price for brand new up here in Canada is crazy

If I went competitor and liked it I would sell the progressive. Just havnt decided what to do yet....

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Carven Progressive and my buddy has the Carven Competitor,both Crew Cab Hemi 1500's... they are VERY similar. The only difference that I can tell, is his is a bit louder at start-up, then mine. Very minor difference...

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Carven Progressive and my buddy has the Carven Competitor,both Crew Cab Hemi 1500's... they are VERY similar. The only difference that I can tell, is his is a bit louder at start-up, then mine. Very minor difference...

Thanks so much for your input. This is exactly the info I was looking for. What about tone between the two. Does the competitor have more “bite” to it? (What I mean is my progressive has a deep rumble to it when I’ve been in a car driving behind it, is competitor a more agressive tone -like long tube like) I assume it’s a little louder throughout the rpms as well.

Also are you happy with your choice of progressive? Or do you find you wished you got competitor?

Last edited:

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks so much for your input. This is exactly the info I was looking for. What about tone between the two. Does the competitor have more “bite” to it? (What I mean is my progressive has a deep rumble to it when I’ve been in a car driving behind it, is competitor a more agressive tone -like long tube like) I assume it’s a little louder throughout the rpms as well.

Also are you happy with your choice of progressive? Or do you find you wished you got competitor?

I would say, given the size difference between the two, there MUST be a sound difference. But...it is VERY similar to me! I LOVE my Progressive! After having first hand experience with the two, I would NOT go to the Competitor. This is my personal opinion from my experience. I will say, the Progressive is MUCH tamer when it comes to MDS than the Competitor...but they both sound like **** when in 4 cylinder mode...that's kind of a given though...but overall I am a happy camper with my Carven!

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh and for what it's worth, I found my initial review after we got our mufflers installed. Here is my review from back then...

10/27/2017

If anyone is undecided regarding these two mufflers, I have a unique, first hand experience. My buddy and I both have 2016 1500 Big Horn Hemi's. Both are Crew Cabs, and BOTH are short beds. He purchased and installed the Competitor and I purchased and installed the Progressive. I have driven his truck, and obviously, my own as well. I drove them back to back last night! So here is My opinion and observation... they BOTH sound the same under hard throttle, part throttle and revving. Were the differ is at idle, cold start, and cruising. My muffler (Progressive) is quieter on cold start, while cruising and while idling. They both have drone, this is difficult, if not impossible to eliminate, with a performance muffler (especially of these sizes) while in 4 cylinder mode. While the MDS sound does not exactly bother me, it is sure to bother some. The reason I wanted to go the tamer route with the Progressive, is because I didn't want to upset my neighbors during remote starting in winter and while idling before I leave for work, ect. I hope this might help some of you decide. I am VERY pleased with my purchase of the Carven Progressive bolt in muffler! The install could not have been any easier and everything lined up perfectly! Thank you for reading! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
@2016Bighorny , do you have any drone at highway speeds? My magnaflow drones at 1700 rpm

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@2016Bighorny , do you have any drone at highway speeds? My magnaflow drones at 1700 rpm

it SURE did drone!... I have since removed the Carven Progressive, and bolted in an 18" Magnaflow. I am MUCH HAPPIER with the Magnaflow. The Carven was just way too harsh for my Wife and I!

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No one has switched between Carvens? Lol well damn.

Other reason thinking it can’t be that much louder is it’s my understanding on 2019 kits they no longer offer the progressive... so competitor can’t be so loud it wouldn’t apply to most customers

I have the Carven Competitor with a resonator delete. I believe I posted a video in the exhaust thread. If you can't find it let me know and I'll post again

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My progressive has gotten way louder over the last couple years as the packing is wearing out.
Might as well bought the competitor..lol. At some point Iam going to chamge it out to a Magnaflow.

BlackOps6

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Carven Competitor with a resonator delete. I believe I posted a video in the exhaust thread. If you can't find it let me know and I'll post again
Please repost the video..I have the Competitor series and been debating on the resonator delete.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I do not. I had drone when the resonators were on, once I removed the resonators the drone went away.

I have my carven tips welded on to the resonators. I'll probably regret that decision.