Convince me why i shouldnt buy it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
If the engine is cold when you get there, before they start it try wiggling the exhaust manifold studs. If they move they're broken, and the repair will be costly.
Can I get a yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Cold start the truck also. 70k miles is not crazy except for the lifter and stud issue. I’m in CA so frame rust and other crap that eats the underside alive won’t be an issue.

Don’t be shy about inspecting fluid conditions also. After you drive it and warm it up, then let it sit, check the oil and see how dirty it might be. I’ve even brought a test strip for the brake fluid before. Yup, I’m weird but I don’t want a truck that I have to flush brakes right after buying it. Check the trans fluid for color and smell.

I bought my truck in Vegas because of the CA dealer issues I was having. 8K over MSRP and I got mine for 6K under MSRP and the dealership stuck to it. They still made money on the deal for sure but I didn't get rear-ended in the process.

JG-Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Could be a great price because of the electric blue color? If you like it go for it! I bought my wife a plum Jeep XJ 20 years ago. When I went to sell it it looked dark blue in the pics but purple in direct sunlight. Lost many potential buyers until a guy cam along and said his daughter really wanted a purple Jeep! (Not saying electric blue is feminine, it is definitely more of a modern / younger color.)

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope stay away from it ... I actually know who that truck belonged to .... that truck is at the Hemet dealership just down the street from me ... that truck has had 2 owners, the guy who had it last had nothing but issues with it, the trany and cam went out on it right after he bought it ....

Actually, if the cam went out on it, and the tranny ....and they replaced/fixed those issues (new cam/lifters), ....heck that's an even better deal. Cams 'do' sometimes go out on these. If they had it fixed or replaced the engine, heck .....

I love to buy cars that people stuck a bunch of money into and then got rid of: fixed all the problems ..LOL. The last Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought the lady told us of all the things she did to the vehicle, stuck a bunch of money into it. Had the heads re-done. Since we bought it it's been one of the most reliable vehicles.

See what it would cost to buy a 2-3yr drivetrain warranty. It looks like a nice truck!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Thank you for the advise, i was leary as its been there 60 days and the price kept dropping....
Used vehicles out there especially in that whole auto mall are risky business, I don't know of a single person who has bought a used vehicle from any of those dealerships and not had problems ...

I actually bought my truck new from Hemet Chrysler lol, but that dealership sucks, their service department is pure trash ... nothing but junkies Hemet lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Actually, if the cam went out on it, and the tranny ....and they replaced/fixed those issues (new cam/lifters), ....heck that's an even better deal. Cams 'do' sometimes go out on these. If they had it fixed or replaced the engine, heck .....

I love to buy cars that people stuck a bunch of money into and then got rid of: fixed all the problems ..LOL. The last Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought the lady told us of all the things she did to the vehicle, stuck a bunch of money into it. Had the heads re-done. Since we bought it it's been one of the most reliable vehicles.

See what it would cost to buy a 2-3yr drivetrain warranty. It looks like a nice truck!
I do agree with the trany being rebuilt and the cams, but I know the person who owned it and he would of kept the truck if it didn't have other issues ... I would call myself a d!ck if I didn't say anything and OP bought this truck and ended up having to drop extra money to fix it ....

If they gave it to him for say $15-18k out the door as is then I would say go for it, but not for $27k ....

But yes, rebuilt trany if that's all that was wrong for that price it's like a new truck ....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I do agree with the trany being rebuilt and the cams, but I know the person who owned it and he would of kept the truck if it didn't have other issues ... I would call myself a d!ck if I didn't say anything and OP bought this truck and ended up having to drop extra money to fix it ....

If they gave it to him for say $15-18k out the door as is then I would say go for it, but not for $27k ....

But yes, rebuilt trany if that's all that was wrong for that price it's like a new truck ....
I'd be scared of a Mopar rebuilt 8 speed.When i had to replace my 8 speed,i originally went for a factory Mopar rebuilt,when it showed up it was dirtier then my original 8 speed was,told the dealer i wasn't going to accept it,and to get me a brand new one instead. I get along really good with my local dealer and their parts department,and the parts manager did a little digging into the factory rebuilts,and apparently Chrysler sends them out to the cheapest rebuilder bid.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Nope stay away from it ... I actually know who that truck belonged to .... that truck is at the Hemet dealership just down the street from me ... that truck has had 2 owners, the guy who had it last had nothing but issues with it, the trany and cam went out on it right after he bought it ....

Didn’t see that coming, but there you have it.

Cant get any more direct than info passed on from the previous owner. The looming question is that it’s been on the lot for a while….. why?

Still a great looking Ram, dig deeper.

I’ll vouch for CheechDogg as well :waytogo:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well ...what were the other 'issues' (specifically)? Exh manifolds? Squeaks? Typical minor new vehicle issues? We know the Cam and transmission it sounds like were issues. Ok. Apparently have been resolved. Take it for a long test drive. See if they'll let you keep it overnight. I'm guessing ALL of the issues the PO had were taken care of. If so, you get a truck with a substantially repaired (or new or rebuilt) engine, and a rebuilt transmission ...and some other resolved 'issues'. What could be better than that? If issues come up, you just knock down the issues one at a time. Find out for sure what transmission was put in.

That's why I suggested to look at a 3rd party warranty. Otherwise keep looking for another pickup that nobody knows the history on.

But at this point, if the potential buyer (OP) doesn't have the stomach for risk, this isn't the truck for you. In fact you probably shouldn't buy it. B/c now ...every time there is a little squeak, burp or rattle (which any used vehicle can get), you're going to think it was a lemon because someone said it was ....and you're gong to say to yourself, "I KNEW I shouldn't have bought this truck, dang!".

Roadwarrior 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice Truck, I have a '17 1500 Crew Hemi with 221k miles and it developed the hemi tick around 135k (at start up) otherwise I have properly done all the scheduled maintenance and never had any major issues. I live in the rust belt and wash it weekly and she is rust free.
If you can and have a trusted mechanic take the truck to them and have it looked over.
Past maintenance records would be a plus too. If it helps to compare, my local dealer offered me $18k for a trade in with the high mileage that i have (My truck had a $52k msrp in '17).
Good luck!!

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought my 2016 Big Horn 2 months ago In Florida. Paid 30k with 34,000 miles on it. It's been well taken care of.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm looking at a 2500, and if I get it, I'll be selling my 2017 1500 (I'll know this weekend).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
View attachment 500654
Ive been in the market for a while and have watched the price drop on this 2016 Ram Bighorn. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger but my question to you all is this, what should I be looking for as problems down the rode? it has 70K miles and is selling for $26,289
I have a 2013 1500 express at 105,000 mile had to do a camshaft and lifters this is an issue dodge knew and never issued recall for bad cams stay away from dodge

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 500654
Ive been in the market for a while and have watched the price drop on this 2016 Ram Bighorn. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger but my question to you all is this, what should I be looking for as problems down the rode? it has 70K miles and is selling for $26,289

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 1500 express at 105,000 mile had to do a camshaft and lifters this is an issue dodge knew and never issued recall for bad cams stay away from dodge
Do carfax on it first to see what’s been wrong. Then just be positive about it and get it. Easy on the gas pedal and coast anytime you can. I watch my miles per gallon more than I watch the speedometer. Get it, looks sharp. Have. Ram decal put on the hood.

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do carfax on it first to see what’s been wrong. Then just be positive about it and get it. Easy on the gas pedal and coast anytime you can. I watch my miles per gallon more than I watch the speedometer. Get it, looks sharp. Have. Ram decal put on the hood.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
This is coming from an "Old Fart" who just sold his 2002 Dakota, club cab, 2wd, 4.7 5 speed manual that I purchased new. I needed a "truck". So it took me about a year and 1/2 to find what I wanted. When I saw it I called them and told them I would be there the following day, If it looked like the pictures made it look I will have cash in hand. At 6AM I left upstate NY and headed south on my Victory Motorcycle to WV (441 miles each way)! I got there 9 hours later (that includes 2 fuel stops and a nice sit down breakfast stop). Looked it over, handed them the money loaded the bike in the back and drove home on their temp. plate. I got a 2016 reg.cab, 8 foot box, 5.7, 2wd. Had originally been ordered will all the HD "stuff" and chrome Stuff. Only had 58,600 on it cost $22,500 (23,019 grand total). What would have stopped me from the one you are looking at is the four doors and no box to put anything in. But that is what most of you young people are after that and gadgets! Only had it so far for two week have already added Cold air and cat. back. Probably the only mods it will get. From Here it sounds like a really fair price! I got tired of thinking about it and then finding out, that what I was interested in, was sold. Hell I put a Yard of topsoil in the back of the Dakota (approx. 1900 Lbs). It was not happy but it did it- the tail was a might low. I even got mine with a FULL tank of fuel in it.
Got 47.2 MPG on the Victory, Got 18.2 on the Ram. Ran 10mph over the speed limits, so 65-80 MPH (all interstates)- on this end of the country that is usually in the no ticket range. Heck at 80 in West Virginia I was only turning 2,000 RPM and mine has the 3.55's

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca