Convince me why i shouldnt buy it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pedrobananas

Reaction score
Not apples to apples but I just bought a 2016 regular cab rear wheel drive with the hemi. It has 75k miles on it and I paid around 21k. I wasn’t expecting to buy it but when I saw it I was sold. It runs like a brand new car. Can’t even feel it idle. If it’s what you want and you like the color I’d go for it! Here’s mine and I couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• 77F34CC8-9634-4A87-BAF7-CE5F35EDEF97.jpeg
    77F34CC8-9634-4A87-BAF7-CE5F35EDEF97.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 14

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its not ticking now it will. Run dont buy it! You will be putting an engine in it 70k more miles.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I'm with the crowd that says at least look at it. If it's had all the issues fixed it's good to go.
And with the idea of driving 441 miles for a 2wd truck if that floats your boat go for it.
I'll never buy another 2wd truck if I can avoid it. My last 2wd was over 30 years ago.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
70k miles? Risky decision,well,I will lake to put it this way,if I know about the hemi tick failure, before I bought the truck I wont buy.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Can’t believe truck prices! I paid $32,500 for my 2019 1500 Classic 4WD with 1000 miles on it. It was the dealers demo truck and 2020’s were just coming out. Current Blue Book is more than I paid for it 3 years ago! But I’d never sell it…. Love this truck.

From some of the comments from those in the know, I’d steer clear. There are other deals to be found, especially this time of year.

irap93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 500654
Ive been in the market for a while and have watched the price drop on this 2016 Ram Bighorn. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger but my question to you all is this, what should I be looking for as problems down the rode? it has 70K miles and is selling for $26,289
Beautiful truck man. The end of May, I gave 26.9K for a '17 with 80K in Nebraska, felt like it was a good deal at the time, and then it started ticking. The warranty covered a new engine, so I definitely lucked out. I would do it again, but do listen carefully for a tick AND check the idle hours. According to this forum and the maintenance manager, idle hours are the biggest indicator of lifter problems. Police chargers are apparently the worst offenders for them in their shop. You can see idle hours in the dash, I would steer clear of a truck with more than 15 - 20 % idle. Mine that failed had close to 25% idle hours.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Complaints for Pedder Nissan, LLC
Not BBB Accredited

ccattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Make sure it’s clean title

Check out idle hours - if they’re high, pass. Like others have said listen for lifter / exhaust manifold tick issues.

Check to see if it has a back up camera, (just cause it has a screen doesn’t mean it has a camera, put it in reverse)

Make sure the differential ratio is what you want.

Get the vin and check out the spec sheet there’s a website where you can see what the truck has.
What is an example of too high for idle hours? I've always wondered.
-c

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck with 115k on the clock has 78x idle hours to 3896 drive hours.

I’ve seen people say on here they saw a truck with 11,000 idle hours.

Not sure if there’s a thread in here already with #’s.

There’s not a set number but if I were buying a truck I’d want idle hours to be less than ~25% of the trucks total hours (this is certainly not any kind of rule just my opinion).

For what it’s worth, I’m at 16% idle hours and still have lifter issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Complaints for Pedder Nissan, LLC
Not BBB Accredited

When I said what I said about them, I know from experience ... simple as that ... Like I previously said , I would call myself a **** if I didn't say something about that truck .... good fine @GTyankee !!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Trucks with High Idle Hours, can have been owned by Utility Companies

The employees do not have an office, so the vehicle they drive becomes their work space.
When the temperatures are extreme, the HVAC unit is going constantly running , even when the vehicle is parked.

My vehicles will always have high idle hours.
There are times that i am parked waiting on a semi truck with a wide load, sometimes for 10 hours, with the temperatures in the high 80 - 110.
Not a tree or building to use for shade

rockmanm35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks pretty solid and see if they will add a lifetime powertrain warranty..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
OP
OP
Mr_Ames

Mr_Ames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate everyones comments and advise. Cheechdogg thank you very much. I am planning on going to test drive on Saturday and if terms can be met then i will get the truck and a powertrain warranty. I've already looked into it. I'll post pictures when and if i get it.

IanK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the year I wouldn't be surprised at all if it had bad camshaft and lifters even with low miles. I have a 2011 sport 2500 bought it with bad camshaft and lifters. I like it now that it's fixed but it was a stressful nightmare getting it done. I'm in Mexico if I was in the United States I wouldn't have been able to afford the labor to get it done. I ended up upgrading to a comp cams and deleting the MDS.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why? Others have similar issues not just Dodge/Ram. Usually it is NOT the engine but the owner who has caused the problem, does not make your situation any easier to have but to blame the truck is like blaming the rock in the asphalt for a nick in your paint, or the bird **** on your window to the wind that was blowing, geeze man wake up.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, I can't believe the software didn't bleep the bird crap comment. It star's-out (***) even the most remote naughty word I ever write. You must have found a bug in the system.