Coolant leak below cylinder head

Where do I go from here ?

• Steel Wedges, and 1.5 lb hammer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wood 2" x 4" and 14 lb "

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
1988 Dodge D100 truck 1/2 ton
Engine
The engine leaks significant coolant fluid after 2 KM of driving around town. Recovered half pail of coolant from radiator petcock valve.

I then preceeded cylinder head removal with ancillary engine parts removal. Head does not come off gasket with block (2"x4") and hammer (14 lb) technique. Adhesive strong.

Previous maintenance included new head gasket with two KM use. Head gasket was glued on both sides by substitute Mopar aeresol sealer (CH-VU01508AB vice Chrysler Dodge specification number : 1057794 which is no longer available) . Radiator has also been previously replaced.

Chrysler Dodge Service writer believed head gasket or head bolts could be broken. All cylinder head bolts were torqued in sequence to drawing in service manual to 85 foot pounds previously by myself and during removal all were found not broken.

I have not found the source of the leak.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
where does it seem like it is coming from. would it maybe be a frost plug? are you 100% sure you got all the bolts? sometimes putting a couple long bolts in the front of the head and lifting up helps. once you get 1 side broke loose the rest breaks loose pretty easily.

OP
OP
Daniel Anderson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mention, one Frost plug was previously replaced on that side. If I remember correctly there are several more I will check on that side. Thanks.

OP
OP
Daniel Anderson
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using a hive tool on a warm day I was able to pry up the cylinder head from above the intake manifold area. It worked really well and fast.