Coolant leaking below engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hi, I have a 2021 ram 2500 6.4l Laramie 81k miles. Coolant leaking somewhere in back of engine and I can't find it. No milky residue on caps oil clean coolant clean. No smoke from muffler. Possible head gasket? Thanks in advance.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi, I have a 2021 ram 2500 6.4l Laramie 81k miles. Coolant leaking somewhere in back of engine and I can't find it. No milky residue on caps oil clean coolant clean. No smoke from muffler. Possible head gasket? Thanks in advance.
Are you sure it at the back of the engine? I had a coolant leak in my Silverado that only showed up on the back side of my skid plate below the rear of the engine. It turned out to be a leaking water pump at the front but was running down and dripping off the back.

OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I am not 100% I see it leaking when I turn off the truck I can see it dripping from the back of engine on a couple lines but when it's running its not leaking (as much)

OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm having a hard time locating the leak. Is there any way it can be a head gasket?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having a hard time locating the leak. Is there any way it can be a head gasket?
It could be a head gasket but probably not. At 81k your main suspect is the water pump. Next time you drive the truck take a white paper towel and pack it around the water pump when you park it for the night. Check it the next day for stains and antifreeze smell. Hoses can deteriorate at 81k. Just a small drip around a band clamp can be hard to spot. Pressure test the system for leaks before going down the head gasket rabbit hole.

OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thank you everyone for all your input. I'm thinking not a head gasket as it's an external leak I was told if head gasket then you wouldn't see a leak!!! Again thank you everyone for helping.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Perhaps do a cooling system pressure test to pin it down.
Another culprit could be the rad cap.

I parked my truck at my lady's place when I went on a business trip for two days.
I came back and there was a visible coolant on the ground in the front center/passenger area.
I looked everywhere and found nothing.

Took it in the next day and had the cooling pressure tested, and all was good on the engine/hose side of things.

They pressure tested my rad cap and there was a leak. New OEM rad cap installed and no more leak.

OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It's honestly sad on how many problems I'd had with this truck. Had to replace starterbat 45k miles wire harness went bad camera went bad no heat in drivers side which can be the blend door actuator. Just heart breaking having a new truck and many issues.

OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I see a drip from the bolt I circled is this a head gasket or no? It is attached to the oil pan.
20240302_112920.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I see a drip from the bolt I circled is this a head gasket or no? It is attached to the oil pan.
View attachment 538730
Check underneath your water pump for a dribble out the weep hole.It's not uncommon for a water pump leak to run the length of the oil pan and drip off the rear of the engine.Wind coming through the rad can make anti-freeze run along ways. It's a least worth a good look at the water pump and timing cover.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Touch the liquid and rub your fingers together . Smell the liquid. If it’s sticky & smells like anti-freeze. It’s a leak. If not it’s most likely condensation from a/c. It could be a heater hose clamp not tight or the hose.

OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Oh it 100% is coolant leak for sure. Just having a very difficult time locating the leak. It's pooling in 2 different areas with coolant on the top of water pump and wet everywhere. Super hard to find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Touch the liquid and rub your fingers together . Smell the liquid. If it’s sticky & smells like anti-freeze. It’s a leak. If not it’s most likely condensation from a/c. It could be a heater hose clamp not tight or the hose.
The sad thing is after a dealership had flushed my system cause I had no heat in drivers side about 7 days later I have a serious coolant leak. Super depressing when you spend 68k for a truck to have this many issues. Replace starter wire harness camera no heat coolant leak. And only a 60k warranty it seems like CDJR doesn't stand behind their trucks anymore

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
not sure where you are seeing it weather it is on passenger side or drivers side at cab by doors or front by rad area !
But if it is on Passenger side I would be looking at engine heater box connection if nothing there follow hoses inwards to engine and see if you can see anything

OP
OP
J

Jpress82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It was almost in the middle of the truck towards the passenger side. I did notice more right under water pump area. It's at a mechanic now and goo's news guys, mechanic thu ks it's an intake leak not a head gasket. Not sure how good that is but I think it's better then a head gasket.

counselor3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced my water pump at 58000 I have a 2015 ram 5.7 tradesman by the way I got my air bag recall fixed today took about 2.5 hours

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It was almost in the middle of the truck towards the passenger side. I did notice more right under water pump area. It's at a mechanic now and goo's news guys, mechanic thu ks it's an intake leak not a head gasket. Not sure how good that is but I think it's better then a head gasket.
Intake defiantly better than head gasket for sure!
Keep us posted!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Only downside to that idea,is there is no coolant at or in the intake manifold.The 5.7 isn't like an older V8 that circulated coolant through the intake.