Coolant leaking in my engine and it's not starting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
If it is the heads you can take the bad heads in machine shop have repaired reservist if not to bad of shape. you are gonna go nutts trying to listen to all of these people and there opinions. just take it apart already YouTube that **** I did it's not that big of deal

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk
Hey Dan I'm stuck on the bolt for the fan clutch because I took off the serpentine belt first and then when I tried to put it back on so it can hold the pulley in place it slips so it's pointless. So now I don't have none of those fancy tools like the air chisels and all that and I was wondering could I do it with just two crescent wrenches hold one still and hit the other with a little sledgehammer?? You know any tricks bro??

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Dan I'm stuck on the bolt for the fan clutch because I took off the serpentine belt first and then when I tried to put it back on so it can hold the pulley in place it slips so it's pointless. So now I don't have none of those fancy tools like the air chisels and all that and I was wondering could I do it with just two crescent wrenches hold one still and hit the other with a little sledgehammer?? You know any tricks bro??

A long skinny screwdriver or remove water pump with fan attached along with fan shroud. Your gonna have a lot more room with upper crossmember and radiator condenser out the way. If air still works just move condenser and compressor over to passenger side fender. Transmission cooler comes off easy if equipped the rest is easy try to remember bolt location. If you remove harmonic balancer timing cover and water pump can remove as one assembly

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
A long skinny screwdriver or remove water pump with fan attached along with fan shroud. Your gonna have a lot more room with upper crossmember and radiator condenser out the way. If air still works just move condenser and compressor over to passenger side fender. Transmission cooler comes off easy if equipped the rest is easy try to remember bolt location. If you remove harmonic balancer timing cover and water pump can remove as one assembly

Well the water pumps been replaced all that around it was was put in the last 2 months so I'm trying not to mess around with it . I've got to remove the power steering fluid holder against the driver side valve cover and then the tensioner pulley assembly on the passenger side valve cover the head and that's it the manifold already took all the bolts out so that's it I'll be popping that manifold out then I'll take the heads off and I'll be putting in the new refurbished heads hopefully that's what it is is just the gasket or cracked cylinder head I hope it ain't the block

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's good news man I'm glad your making head way I really think its probably not as bad as you might think I mean heads might just be warped. You can have your heads checked out by a decent machine shop if they're just warped they can milled and even re grinded seats and hog the exhaust ports out a shade for under 300 dollars valve seals are like 5 bucks. **** man those stock mopar heads are pretty decent flowing straight ass exhaust runners on them just need a little cleaning up. 9.7 compression on the 5.2 stock flat top pistons it will go up after milled heads.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
That's good news man I'm glad your making head way I really think its probably not as bad as you might think I mean heads might just be warped. You can have your heads checked out by a decent machine shop if they're just warped they can milled and even re grinded seats and hog the exhaust ports out a shade for under 300 dollars valve seals are like 5 bucks. **** man those stock mopar heads are pretty decent flowing straight ass exhaust runners on them just need a little cleaning up. 9.7 compression on the 5.2 stock flat top pistons it will go up after milled heads.

Thanks bro I was talking to a mechanic today he was looking at it and he said that I should bring it to a shop and have them check the block make sure it's all balanced correctly before I build it back up because all I got to do is take off the exhaust manifolds cuz they're baked the s*** on there and then take the heads off bring them to the shop I already took off the rocker arms and push rods kept them separated like you supposed to so they go back to where they belong now this guy got me thinking should I spend the extra money bring it to a shop and have the block checked make sure it's all balanced and everything. What do you think Dan??

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks bro I was talking to a mechanic today he was looking at it and he said that I should bring it to a shop and have them check the block make sure it's all balanced correctly before I build it back up because all I got to do is take off the exhaust manifolds cuz they're baked the s*** on there and then take the heads off bring them to the shop I already took off the rocker arms and push rods kept them separated like you supposed to so they go back to where they belong now this guy got me thinking should I spend the extra money bring it to a shop and have the block checked make sure it's all balanced and everything. What do you think Dan??

Those magnum blocks are probably more true than any in thre class your 5.2 is already internally balanced from factory that's one thing I can assure you dont need to worry about. Unless someone used the wrong damper or flex plate from a 5.9 externally balanced motor???
But I doubt that.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
Those magnum blocks are probably more true than any in thre class your 5.2 is already internally balanced from factory that's one thing I can assure you dont need to worry about. Unless someone used the wrong damper or flex plate from a 5.9 externally balanced motor???
But I doubt that.

Nah brother that was actually a one owner and then my father bought it and then started restoring it and as you know passed away and then I've been restoring it so it's internally balanced no 5.9 parts it's a true 318 Magnum so I shouldn't even do that right dude it ran great brother before that head gasket b******* no noises no shakes no vibrations nothing

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The so called mechanic thief you talked to is full of **** Besides wtf is he gonna disassemble it all and check crank balance and all that jazz

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
The so called mechanic thief you talked to is full of **** Besides wtf is he gonna disassemble it all and check crank balance and all that jazz

Exactly and dude I read once the crankshaft goes you can't just replace the main bearings you need to replace the whole crankshaft cuz it'll never be the same cuz of the the channels

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
Exactly and dude I read once the crankshaft goes you can't just replace the main bearings you need to replace the whole crankshaft cuz it'll never be the same cuz of the the channels

Hey bro did you ever change your your pistons and o-rings cuz I was thinking about doing that I might as well at this point you know it's already taken apart so I was thinking about buying a piston kit with new o-rings I'm going to keep the connecting rods though cuz I read those Magnum connecting rods are good.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a great engine to work with reliable and tuff you can easily get 300000 out of it. If you keep it clean inside the PCV causes a lot of carbon on and around lifters and top end the rear of the motor gets it the worst.

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
You have a great engine to work with reliable and tuff you can easily get 300000 out of it. If you keep it clean inside the PCV causes a lot of carbon on and around lifters and top end the rear of the motor gets it the worst.

I'm going to delete the EGR valve and all that even though I just replaced it literally like not even 5 weeks ago that way I can put some nice headers on it cuz I already deleted the cat which made it sound awesome. Plus it's less parts I like when there's room in the engine bay brother like my 95 Ram compared to the newer cars s*** I worked in Chevys a lot I'm a Camaro guy but the newer ones man they're f****** horrible to work on cuz it's all computers and electronics nowadays so there's literally no room for nothing everything's just jammed together

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I would imagine so I have 5.9 that lost oil pressure a year or so before I stopped driving it and abusing it in the sand dunes still ran when I pulled it out. Even has visible crosshatch in all 8 cylinders. 280k miles on it they say its because there balanced well

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to delete the EGR valve and all that even though I just replaced it literally like not even 5 weeks ago that way I can put some nice headers on it cuz I already deleted the cat which made it sound awesome. Plus it's less parts I like when there's room in the engine bay brother like my 95 Ram compared to the newer cars s*** I worked in Chevys a lot I'm a Camaro guy but the newer ones man they're f****** horrible to work on cuz it's all computers and electronics nowadays so there's literally no room for nothing everything's just jammed together

Yeah I would block of plate or use one off 96 non egr

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
95 is kinda a stand alone as far as computer compatibility with the rest of 2nd gen. You could probably do just about anything to it emissions wise and still run decant

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
95 is kinda a stand alone as far as computer compatibility with the rest of 2nd gen. You could probably do just about anything to it emissions wise and still run decant

Yeah the state I'm in Massachusetts once a vehicle's 25 years old you don't need to pass any emissions test it's just safety that's one of the reasons why I deleted the cat plus my cat was all clogged junk so I got talked into putting a y pipe in which I'm glad I did because it sounds way better and I guess it helps with the back flow pressure

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you end up doing timing chain get 3 key and advance it 2 deg with short headers and smaller diameter tailpipes you'll gain some torque and mpg. Durango stock breather system is that of a coldair induction only 200 dollars cheaper cheap gain there and drill small hole in thermastat 1/8 in diameter apron reassembly its better than a 180 stat.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 8 accel 3 port injectors 19lbs if your interest there new

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 8 accel 3 port injectors 19lbs if your interest there new

21 lbs injectors they are sorry

OP
OP
B

breezydun81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318-Magnum
21 lbs injectors they are sorry

That's funny cuz I just took all my old injectors out today and we're looking at new ones on the internet dude they were the original Siemens and we're a b**** to get out man 25 years old those bad boys were still working fine but one port yeah if the price is right brother put a picture on there