Cooling system question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjewell5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, having some trouble with my '01 1500 with the 5.9. the upper radiator hose gets really hot, like too hot to hold onto. The lower hose is cool too the touch, not warm at all. I put a new water pump in, and I'm not seeing any flow in the radiator with the cap off. I'm thinking the radiator may be plugged up. I haven't taken the thermostat out yet to see if it flies better without it. Looking for more ideas. Thanks in advance.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You're on the right track. Typically when an upper rad hose is hot and the lower hose is cold its due to a blocked rad. I replaced numerous radiators over my wrenching career for the same symptoms. It fixed the problem every time for me. I suppose there could be exceptions but the odds lean heavily towards the rad itself.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
radiator second that, buy only for like $60, but try removing thermostat and testing in boiling water as well first, only $7.99 for a new one.