Cracked valve body on 2500 66RFE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
Admittedly this post is part question, part rant.

From what I've heard and read, transmissions seem to be the Achilles heal on Ram trucks and maybe mostly centered around cheap clutches used in their transmissions (or so I'm told by my buddy who was researching trans issues after we developed problems with our truck).

That said, out of the blue we started having issues with the transmission on my wife's '14 Ram 2500 CC with the 6.4L gas motor and 66RFE transmission with no more than 67k miles. It didn't want to upshift and was throwing a variety of transmission codes. Initially we thought it might be related to the thermostat since we've been having issues with that since December. I'll be candid, the truck has had an easy life. It's not pulled a trailer (yet), only hauls (in the bed) a mild load once a year when we're loaded up for our family road trips. We've taken it off road a few times, but nothing too hardcore, a few forest roads here or there with the most difficult trail being Imogene Pass in Colorado, but none of that has been within the last twelve months. We did do a trans service last summer using all mopar filters, fluids and even the sealant for the transmission pan.

About a month ago she was driving the truck when it wouldn't go over 40mph and started slowing down and and red lining when trying to accelerate. We had it towed to a nearby dealer who didn't seem want to do any real diagnosis, just chalked it up to being a modified truck (3" lift & 37's) with big tires and kept throwing around about voiding any warranty on power train. They said in order to determine the problem they needed to do a tear down of the transmission ($500) to determine what the failure was. Since they seemed to put all the blame on the big tires without any real diagnosis and not feeling as if we were going to get a fair shake I pretty much said f-u and pulled our truck from that dealer and drove it home (they're only a few blocks away). This situation pretty much exemplifies why I dislike them and do what I can to avoid having our vehicles serviced by them.

About two weeks later I had it towed to our preferred dealer who actually gave us a fair shake. Not automatically laying blame on the lift or big tires and actually put the the time into diagnosing what the issue was. I still had to commit to a tear down ($500, not charged if covered by warranty) which I was fine with and was willing to accept the responsibility if it was determined the transmission failure was something related to what we did on the truck. Well this week I got the call that when they dropped the pad they found some metal shavings and saw that the valve body was cracked. Not knowing a much about anything about transmission issues, I'm left wondering how the heck the valve body could have cracked. Thankfully I'm being told the issue is going to be covered under warranty however my question is, "Has anyone else had a cracked valve body on their 66RFE transmission?"

Thanks for reading and let me know if you've had an issue like us.

Kevin

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
They can crack from material/production defects, or from being improperly torqued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The valve bodies in these RFE transmissions are not the best quality either. Might have just been it’s time.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
BlackWidow

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
Thanks for the responses, though not very confidence instilling. Hopefully this solves the issue and we have no additional problems.

TX_PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I just had my 66rfe rebuilt with Sonnax internals and a DNJ billet valve body. Supposedly the valve bodies are problematic. The trans programming and valve body is the problem.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...k-proof-68rfe-2007-up-45rfe-545rfe-1999-2011/

Oh, and the thermostats suck. I had to replace mine at 80k miles. RAM should be paying for these issues but they don't. They decline warranty repairs left and right. I have a 4th gen 2500 and I LOVE my truck but these inherent issues should be addressed and fixed by the manufacturer on a $60k truck. I'll keep fixing all the issues because I do love the truck lol. If I have the lifter/cam issues I'll probably fix those too.

Never take it to the dealer. They do shoddy repairs and want to get you out of there.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
"Has anyone else had a cracked valve body on their 66RFE transmission?"

Mine was described more as an explosion rather than a crack :)

38K miles under zero load (stop/go traffic on the freeway) my 66rfe crapped the bed. Traffic took off, I pushed the accelerator, engine revved, I barely moved. Limped to the next exit off the freeway and had it towed to the dealer. The tech's exact words were, "The valve body exploded and ripped the entire inside of the transmission apart."

I have zero mods on the truck and it was all covered under warranty without question. I have absolutely no interest in owning this truck (or any modern, complicated, new-ish truck) without a warranty. These things just cost too much money and can puke a part resulting in a 10K+ repair in the blink of an eye.

So, OP, you're not alone. That's good to hear they are covering it under warranty. Especially, fortunate as it sound like you are in with the 100K power train warranty. Currently, it's only 60K on gassers.

OP
OP
BlackWidow

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
I just had my 66rfe rebuilt with Sonnax internals and a DNJ billet valve body. Supposedly the valve bodies are problematic. The trans programming and valve body is the problem.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...k-proof-68rfe-2007-up-45rfe-545rfe-1999-2011/

Oh, and the thermostats suck. I had to replace mine at 80k miles. RAM should be paying for these issues but they don't. They decline warranty repairs left and right. I have a 4th gen 2500 and I LOVE my truck but these inherent issues should be addressed and fixed by the manufacturer on a $60k truck. I'll keep fixing all the issues because I do love the truck lol. If I have the lifter/cam issues I'll probably fix those too.

Never take it to the dealer. They do shoddy repairs and want to get you out of there.

If we have a transmission issue again, we might consider having a heavy duty rebuild done on it. Knock on wood hopefully the warranty repair will hold up for a good long while. To your other point about shoddy repairs from the dealer, I hear what you're saying, however I'll counter with I feel it's totally dependent on the dealer. There are some good ones out there, though it does seem like they're a needle in hay stack. The dealer our truck is at now we've had pretty good experiences at with both buying and service. We've had a few issues with them, however nothing major and they were quick to address and remedy them when we did.

Mine was described more as an explosion rather than a crack :)

38K miles under zero load (stop/go traffic on the freeway) my 66rfe crapped the bed. Traffic took off, I pushed the accelerator, engine revved, I barely moved. Limped to the next exit off the freeway and had it towed to the dealer. The tech's exact words were, "The valve body exploded and ripped the entire inside of the transmission apart."

I have zero mods on the truck and it was all covered under warranty without question. I have absolutely no interest in owning this truck (or any modern, complicated, new-ish truck) without a warranty. These things just cost too much money and can puke a part resulting in a 10K+ repair in the blink of an eye.

So, OP, you're not alone. That's good to hear they are covering it under warranty. Especially, fortunate as it sound like you are in with the 100K power train warranty. Currently, it's only 60K on gassers.

WOW, that's kind of f'd up, but sounds familiar. Luckily it sounds like it fell under the 100k power train warranty, however even if we didn't have that I believe the Maxcare Lifetime Unlimited warranty would have kicked in.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
WOW, that's kind of f'd up, but sounds familiar. Luckily it sounds like it fell under the 100k power train warranty, however even if we didn't have that I believe the Maxcare Lifetime Unlimited warranty would have kicked in.

I've got the lifetime also..... I paid $2200 (5 years ago) and it makes me feel A LOT better about this having happened.

Emmonsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 2500 6.4 megacab with 40K miles and the trans just quit while towing a 11k travel trailer. It is at an out of state dealer now for eval and repair. Only have the 60k power train warranty. Guess I should have got the extended warranty.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Damn shame they still build a crappy transmission. Thank god I got the Maxcare lifetime warranty. OP good luck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Damn shame they still build a crappy transmission. Thank god I got the Maxcare lifetime warranty. OP good luck.

Yeah, it's funny... for as long as I can remember, Dodge/Ram has had subpar transmissions. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ram fan and will likely buy another one but their trannys just haven't been known for longevity. Like all vehicles, it's generally getting better I suppose.

I'll always remember my first job at a carwash back in 1988. This old guy/regular I got to know was a huge Dodge fan and was bragging to me one day about how he got 75K miles out of the transmission on his Lebaron..... like that was some great accomplishment. I was a very young/naive 16 year old and even then I knew that was not great!

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

you can pick up the DNJ plate for a couple of hundred cheaper on eBay. I bought mine last fall for $299