Cummins 6.7 VGT replacement upgrade or delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bwhackd34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to upgrade or replace/delete the factory turbo/VGT. My actuator was replaced a year ago and am getting codes again.
Not going to keep going through this.
What is my best option? Performance, cost and reliability wise.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looking to upgrade or replace/delete the factory turbo/VGT. My actuator was replaced a year ago and am getting codes again.
Not going to keep going through this.
What is my best option? Performance, cost and reliability wise.
There are plenty of good turbos out there if you want to eliminate the VGT Turbo. When you do decide to delete the VGT Turbo you will lose your factory exhaust brake.

Instead, why not look into a non-VGT Turbo along with a Pac-Brake inline exhaust brake or the Pac-Brake Loadleash.

Or, there are kits available to swap from the 6.7 style exhaust manifold and go to the 5.9 style manifold. Kits are available from around $1400 from places like MDC Diesel.

OP
OP
B

Bwhackd34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the kind of reply I hoped for. Where is a good place to look....this is the route I was thinking...a fixed geometry unit wth a real brake but don't know which are good unti....my truck is stock and I'm a gas engine guy so the diesel stuff is new to me

OP
OP
B

Bwhackd34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually the brake you mentioned is discontinued. I did a quick search and found a place called BD Diesel Performance that has a fixed unit replacement with manifold and makes a brake as well that works off factory switch. This may be the one I get....turbo/manifold/brake right around $3000 and two turbos available....a .91 and 1.0 area units....all else stock with 3.73 gear and an automatic I'm thinking the quicker spooling unit will be better than top end

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually the brake you mentioned is discontinued. I did a quick search and found a place called BD Diesel Performance that has a fixed unit replacement with manifold and makes a brake as well that works off factory switch. This may be the one I get....turbo/manifold/brake right around $3000 and two turbos available....a .91 and 1.0 area units....all else stock with 3.73 gear and an automatic I'm thinking the quicker spooling unit will be better than top end
Sorry I didn't realize they had discontinued the brake. For the turbo a quicker spooling unit would definitely be better. That's a good price for everything too.