Cummins Vs. Powerstroke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off this is in the 4th gen area because I'm considering a 2016 Cummins.

I debated about buying one when I bought my current truck and have decided that I made a mistake not buying one. I'm not brand loyal but I only drive american and refuse to endorse Government Motors which leaves me with Ford or Ram.

Now, everything I've read states that the PCM's on new Rams are very hard to crack so little aftermarket is available for them which seriously bums me out. So I'm considering a powerstroke. All brand loyalty aside, I'd like some honest answers or personal experience on what makes the Ram a better truck.

If you're going to tell me the generic "Fords suck" or you had an 88 F-250 that blew up and the transmission went on it after 10k, please save it and don't clutter up my thread.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just drive both and you'll see. Been a Ford guy for 20 years but there is nothing like these Dodges.

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just drive both and you'll see. Been a Ford guy for 20 years but there is nothing like these Dodges.

That's what I'm thinking. Both will have lifts available but the necessity to work the 6.7L Cummins hard to avoid issues with emission and the lack of engine aftermarket available is pushing me toward Ford.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't tell motor trend your choice though, 2010, 2013 and 2014 truck of the year. Rams are no joke, but if you mind is made up I wish you luck with it. I would buy a Ford before a Chevy for sure, but they drive like dump trucks. I was convinced I was buying a Ford until on a wim I test drove the Ram, there isn't any competition. I think Ford "looks" better, but I don't buy a truck on looks. Cummins is the best name in engines on the planet, but all of that doesn't mean squat because it's your money and it sounds like you minds made up.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
As an owner for a '14 SuperDuty I can say that they are still a great truck... as long as you get rid of the emissions crap, nothing but issues with it. Once it was gone the power is where it should be for that displacement. Now, I personally think the Ford's handle the roads I drive better than the Dodges do and there are plenty of both outside my work trailer door to sample from. If you're looking at it from a purely power standpoint, once the emissions crap are removed then the cummins is spanking the powerstroke, and you don't need to raise the entire cab to do maintenance to the powerplant.

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I am a life long Ford fan. This is my first Ram (2014 3500 CTD). I test drove several new Ford Superduty's as well as the Rams (obviously).

Ford - seemed much more quiet in the cab. Doors felt more solid. Quicker off the line (40 more horsepower, plus possible gearing). Had a few options on the XLT that were standard that the Ram SLT doesn't have as standard. I personally like the way their back seat folds better than the Ram.

Ram - I was able to get Navigation without getting leather and fully loaded interior like the Ford. Nav isn't an option on the XLT Ford. Ram was cheaper by a large margin than a somewhat closely equipped SuperDuty. I don't like the fact that steering wheel controls for the radio aren't standard when you have Nav, I am fine without power seats but that was somewhat surprising that drivers power seat wasn't standard on the SLT. My ram has seemed to get quicker the more I drive it, I have 5000 miles on mine now and it feels much more responsive than before. Not that it was sluggish, just didn't seem to accelerate that hard initially. It will still get smoked by my dads 2013 stock Powerstroke though. I like the exhaust brake on the Ram better.

The ride of the 1 ton's are pretty comprable, the 2500 Rams ride much better than the F250. I like the Ram exterior better and the Ford Interior better, but that is just personal opinion.

In all honesty, both are excellent trucks and certainly better than the GM products. There are a lot of people that are brand loyal to a fault that will trash the competetor no matter what.

The Cummins brand has been around for a long time an has an excellent reputation as I'm sure you are well aware. The Powerstroke has had issues in the past, mostly the 6.0L. However, the 6.7L is not developed by Navistar, Ford dropped Navistar after the 6.4L Powerstroke was already in development. Ford wasn't happy with Navistars refusal to warranty the 6.0L work, putting Ford on the hook for the repairs. So they made a few years with that engine (6.4L) as a stop-gap while they independantly developed the current 6.7L. Its a Powerstroke in name only and shares nothing with the 6.0L heratige.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome. Thank you guys for the great responses - leaning back toward Cummins now. I do like the fact that equally optioned, the Cummins is ~$10k cheaper.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My dad has a 2013 powerstroke 250. My uncle has a 2012 Cummins 2500. I drive the 250 a lot and I've also driven the dodge. Personally I'd buy the Ford if it were me. No joke about what I'm going to say here...we get 10.5 L/100kms doing 90 km/h with a bully dog tuner and no DPF delete. That's 28 mpg imperial. It's fantastic mileage! The dodge from what my uncle says isn't quite as good. He has his fully deleted with an H&S tune. He did say thoufh, that coming through thr states he had 2000 lbs in the bed and was dling 75-80 mph and got 11.5-12 L/100kms. Thats good with a load at that speed. IMO ford looks better as well. I find that the front end on the rams is a little soft so when cornering at highway speed it feels like the front end dips. The ford doesn't have this issue.

Now let's talk speed. On the performance tune (middle tune) on the powerstroke, I did 0-60 mph in 6 seconds. That was with a 10-15 psi launch in 4x4. Very fast! The dodge was about 7 seconds with the "Hot" tune (top tune on H&S). Remember the dodge is also fully deleted. now compare the mirrors. IMO ford's are much nicer than the dodge. If it were me I'd buy the F 250 over the dodge any day. I did consider buying one before the longhorn I just ordered. The reason I didn't is that I don't need that much truck lol. The Ram suits my needs right now and if I need a diesel I'll borrow my dad's!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The Ram's frame is much stiffer than the Ford's frame, that is about all I don't think has been said that comes to mind. That may also change by 16 if Ford ever gets off their ass...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
They have had to make some serious revisions to the 6.7 Ford. They had a recall to change cylinder heads for swallowing valves, etc. In heavy GVW applications they don't cut the mustard, IMHO. I despise GM, but I'd buy a Duramax over a PS. Six-In-A-Row, the only way to tow...

War Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I'm thinking. Both will have lifts available but the necessity to work the 6.7L Cummins hard to avoid issues with emission and the lack of engine aftermarket available is pushing me toward Ford.

That statement about the Cummins is totally incorrect. Def trucks don't need to be driven the same as a straight DPF truck. Def trucks also don't regen nearly as much as the old trucks either. My service truck is a 2012 F550. It is a total hunk of ****. 150,000 km it won't stop leaking coolant and oil, the leaf springs have broken twice, it's had 3 DEF pumps replaced, the trans is awful, it generally feels gutless when compared to the '03 F550 with 6.0l it replaced considering the fact that the service deck was also off the '03 it's pretty sad. The key in ignition chime has to be the most irritating sound on the planet

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That statement about the Cummins is totally incorrect. Def trucks don't need to be driven the same as a straight DPF truck. Def trucks also don't regen nearly as much as the old trucks either. My service truck is a 2012 F550. It is a total hunk of ****. 150,000 km it won't stop leaking coolant and oil, the leaf springs have broken twice, it's had 3 DEF pumps replaced, the trans is awful, it generally feels gutless when compared to the '03 F550 with 6.0l it replaced considering the fact that the service deck was also off the '03 it's pretty sad. The key in ignition chime has to be the most irritating sound on the planet

Good to know. All of the advice thus far has been great.

Now I just need to learn your secret and not completely lose my ass if I trade this thing in.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If a ford interior and exterior and suspension is what gets you off, you can order (last time i checked) an f550 and up with a cummins, but you cannot order a ram of any kind with a powerstroke.
As someone that works on many kinds of vehicles i will never own a ford, but if you have the money to pay someone else to fix your ****, by all means buy as many fords as you want. Repairing fords of all years happens to be a speciality of our shop :)

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If a ford interior and exterior and suspension is what gets you off, you can order (last time i checked) an f550 and up with a cummins, but you cannot order a ram of any kind with a powerstroke.
As someone that works on many kinds of vehicles i will never own a ford, but if you have the money to pay someone else to fix your ****, by all means buy as many fords as you want. Repairing fords of all years happens to be a speciality of our shop :)

F650 has an optional Cummins
550 are still powerstrokes
Untill recently you couldn't get a 650/750 with a powerstroke

I like straight six diesels. That's why I have a 5.9 and my girlfriend has a 5.9.

I have good friends with 6.7s if both brands, with enough money they will both be nicer/outperform each other
Really depends on what you like the look of better anymore
Having a six speed manual helps sway me too, my buddies '13 Laramie 2500 Cummins with a 6 speed is a hell of a nice truck

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As far as trucks go, I have been a Ford man for a lot of years. This is my first Ram since my '72 D100. That being said, in the HD arena, BOTH of these trucks are solid performers, but in the end I had always told myself that if I ever did go HD (haven't yet) the Cummins badge would be on the side. For the most part, you see far more Cummins powered trucks still on the road after a lot of long, hard years than you do any others. The 6.7PS isn't without its issues right now either, none are I guess, but in the end I personally would feel far more comfortable with a Cummins- a company that made itself in the oil burning market- not one of the many iterations of a diesel Ford has tried. So, in short, to me, that is the only real difference- and the most important one. For that kind of cash, that truck will need to last me for a LOT of years :)

Both look good though.

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you should get another Ram, so I can see how you mod the hell out of it! :)

I'm already putting together a mod list. Thinking a 6" lift and 37's on this next one.

I've pretty much made up my mind on a Cummins. Either black, white, or blue streak - all will resemble the black edition with painted bumpers, grill, etc.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He shoots... he scores!!!!!! 2 enthusiastic thumbs up for Cummins. :)

Are you gonna trade-in or sell your truck?

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll make up mind for you, Cummings!

OP
OP
M

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He shoots... he scores!!!!!! 2 enthusiastic thumbs up for Cummins. :)

Are you gonna trade-in or sell your truck?

Probably sell it. I would lose a lot in trade. To be honest, I'll be driving this thing for about a year to recoup some of that initial loss but then it's gone.