cylinder 4 zero spark plug gap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1hillbilly1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 2012 ram 1500 sport with 5.7 hemi started running rough at constand speed and idle. It ran fine if you got on it. I ran the codes and it pulled a 340, 304, and 300. I replaced cam sensor took care of the 340 but still had bad miss and 304 I pulld plugs and both plugs on cylinder 4 the gaps were closed. Any one ever run into this and it not be a broken piston? I looked down the cylinder and didnt see nothing broken but did have some scratches on top of piston but not gouged. Any insight would be appreciated.
You can see in the picture all the plugs from the passanger side bank cylinder 2 good, 4 no gap, 6 good, and 8 one good one no gap

20201221_114612.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don't think champion plugs were ever OE.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
the spark plug should never make physical contact with the piston. i dont even think this would be possible????? lol.

Anyway. The gap being closed could have been from pre-detonation. Which from looking at those codes, could very well have been happening in your engine.

Get those ****** champion plugs out, stick some OEM NGK plugs in there (Nickel plated copper ones). and see what it does.

Oh, and obviously gap the plugs correctly lol.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Those are not OEM spark plugs, someone has had the originals out. If you haven't already get some OEM plugs, gap check and replace.
Your issues I am sure will disappear.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
That's crazy, excess heat is the only thing I can think of...........

NGK anything would be better then those.

FYI my 13 Ram 5.7 was every 30K mile NGK Nickel's plugs from MOE'S performance. My RAM 5.7 LOVED THESE plugs

SPLZFR5C-11-2T.jpg

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad you can do your own work.
Firestone threw a quote (even though i didnt ask) for $26 a plug for Crapion plugs plus labor. Close to $800.

Luckily it cost me $96 for oem iridium, ****** tear unicorn **** coated plugs.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Champion plugs suck use nothing but OEM NGK in these hemis I have never had a truck so picky with sparkplugs and its oil lmfaoo.

OP
OP

1hillbilly1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for your responses! I did replace the champions of course with NGKs yesturday and it is running like a top. I have seen and read horror stories of ring lands breaking on these engines and hopped that is not the case. I guess time will just tell. This truck does have 237,000 miles and like I said it purrs on hemi tic or anything so hopefully was just a detonation issue not broken piston ring land.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Thank you all for your responses! I did replace the champions of course with NGKs yesturday and it is running like a top. I have seen and read horror stories of ring lands breaking on these engines and hopped that is not the case. I guess time will just tell. This truck does have 237,000 miles and like I said it purrs on hemi tic or anything so hopefully was just a detonation issue not broken piston ring land.

With all those codes. i would think it was detonation. glad its running well now though.

Also, since the truck has so many miles. you might want to start thinking about replacing the coil packs.

But if its running great right now. i think we can leave well enough alone haha

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
.......Firestone threw a quote (even though i didnt ask) for $26 a plug for Crapion plugs plus labor. Close to $800.

Luckily it cost me $96 for oem iridium, ****** tear unicorn **** coated plugs.

Sounds to me like Firestone pulled that quote right out of their ass. I paid about the same as you did for my OE unicorn **** coated ones also.

Jimmy77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 2012 ram 1500 sport with 5.7 hemi started running rough at constand speed and idle. It ran fine if you got on it. I ran the codes and it pulled a 340, 304, and 300. I replaced cam sensor took care of the 340 but still had bad miss and 304 I pulld plugs and both plugs on cylinder 4 the gaps were closed. Any one ever run into this and it not be a broken piston? I looked down the cylinder and didnt see nothing broken but did have some scratches on top of piston but not gouged. Any insight would be appreciated.
You can see in the picture all the plugs from the passanger side bank cylinder 2 good, 4 no gap, 6 good, and 8 one good one no gap

View attachment 231399

They looks like GM plugs ?!?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't think champion plugs were ever OE.

My 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi came with Champion coppers from the factory.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi came with Champion coppers from the factory.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

Didn’t know that, thanks.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
Champions were used as OEMs for some time. If you have closed gaps, and scratches on the piston tops, there is something floating around in the cylinders, and going to other cylinders through the intake manifold. Seeing you have changed out the plugs and it is running fine (hopefully the compression is the same in all cylinders) I would just run it until another plug closes up. If it happens, you will most likely need to pull the head on that bank to see what is going on. A compression test and bleed down test will tell you volumes as to cylinder health.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
not this **** again, I still have not done my spark plug swap. I did my wife's rv 4 plugs and 2 had no gap. After I did the tune up, man the oil was so dirty for two quick changes likely because both of those cylinders were gunked. You can see the ones that had no gap had oil on them.. A couple oil changes later, all is normal the suv runs killer, gas mileage is insane 29 mpg's. If my ram has this crap I am calling someone, give them a piece of my mind.

48252404376_c3baf2b390_c.jpg

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the spark plug should never make physical contact with the piston. i dont even think this would be possible????? lol.

Anyway. The gap being closed could have been from pre-detonation. Which from looking at those codes, could very well have been happening in your engine.

Get those ****** champion plugs out, stick some OEM NGK plugs in there (Nickel plated copper ones). and see what it does.

Oh, and obviously gap the plugs correctly lol.
How does pre-detonation close a plug gap?I'll get the popcorn.Something physically bent those plugs.He said he had marks/scratches on the pistons.More apt to be carbon build-up or more likely broken ring lands if that is a known issue.IMHO.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How does pre-detonation close a plug gap?I'll get the popcorn.Something physically bent those plugs.He said he had marks/scratches on the pistons.More apt to be carbon build-up or more likely broken ring lands if that is a known issue.IMHO.

It's not uncommon to close up the plug gap with nitrous.If the electrode is almost glowing,the spike in cylinder pressure can bend it.More common if you're running the wrong heat range plugs.Detonation creates a hell'va spike in cylinder pressure.Not saying this is his issue,but high cylinder pressure spikes with a soft electrode can close up the gap,but if there's scratches on the piston tops or cylinder walls,i'd sure be sticking a borescope in the cylinder and having a look see at what's going on internally.

Last edited: