Dang automatic brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Three or four times in the 6 months I’ve had this 23 truck, the automatic brake on this thing has locked on and been a ***** to get off. Once or twice, before I figured out about backing up with the door open, they were probably my fault. But today I simply pulled over on the shoulder, put it in park with engine idling, got out to check a tree I was hauling in a trailer, got back in the truck, put my seat belt on, put it in gear . . . and nothing. Dang brake is locked. I push and pull the release - nothing. I turn off and re-start the truck 3 or 4 times - nothing. I unfasten and fasten my belt and open/close the door - nothing. I turn off the motor, get out, shut the door, get back in and re-start it - nothing. Push/pull brake release - nothing. About the point where I’m thinking of calling the dealer about 2 blocks away to come get this thing, I restart it again and push the brake release (again) and it unlocks!!! What the hell is the secret to getting this thing out of whatever immobilization mode it gets itself into is?

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think (at least on my truck) this is more complicated than just the seat belts. I’m going to see if I can recreate it in my driveway. Yesterday I pulled across a businesses entrance due to a narrow shoulder and thought it would just take me 30 seconds to check my trailer. I probably ended up having it blocked 5 or 6 minutes before I could get it to move. Seemed even longer.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try those seatbelt extenders ,they do a good job . Will most likely take care of your issues.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Three or four times in the 6 months I’ve had this 23 truck, the automatic brake on this thing has locked on and been a ***** to get off. Once or twice, before I figured out about backing up with the door open, they were probably my fault. But today I simply pulled over on the shoulder, put it in park with engine idling, got out to check a tree I was hauling in a trailer, got back in the truck, put my seat belt on, put it in gear . . . and nothing. Dang brake is locked. I push and pull the release - nothing. I turn off and re-start the truck 3 or 4 times - nothing. I unfasten and fasten my belt and open/close the door - nothing. I turn off the motor, get out, shut the door, get back in and re-start it - nothing. Push/pull brake release - nothing. About the point where I’m thinking of calling the dealer about 2 blocks away to come get this thing, I restart it again and push the brake release (again) and it unlocks!!! What the hell is the secret to getting this thing out of whatever immobilization mode it gets itself into is?
Go into U connect settings And turn off the Emergency Brake engagement at Park option.

I have mine set to disabled. I choose when to engage E brake or not.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now the auto engage Park and set brake when moving with door open now set in BCM u defeat by a clip in seatbelt catch or extenders. I use my clip when in and out truck like in field getting hay. Normal driving buckle up.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I tried my best this morning to recreate the problem with no success. I even left the truck in reverse, unbuckled my seat belt and opened the door, leaned out and the brake did not engage.

I don’t understand what the seat belt extenders do with respect to this. Even unfastening my seat belt and leaning out the open door didn’t bring it on this morning. Can someone explain?

The info about turning off the auto parking brake feature under vehicle settings is most helpful and I will explore that.

Thanks

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried my best this morning to recreate the problem with no success. I even left the truck in reverse, unbuckled my seat belt and opened the door, leaned out and the brake did not engage.

I don’t understand what the seat belt extenders do with respect to this. Even unfastening my seat belt and leaning out the open door didn’t bring it on this morning. Can someone explain?

The info about turning off the auto parking brake feature under vehicle settings is most helpful and I will explore that.

Thanks
U have to be moving, not JUST open the door. U can also defeat by brake pressure, slight and go real (reverse)!!! slow, for an occasion. Open door, put in reverse and back up more than 1-2 mph with foot off brake WILL engage that safety option, watch out for the brake lockup and whiplash.

ADDED: Seat belt extenders or say even a clip fool the system telling them that the seat belt is properly on and disables the auto park/safety for that one incident. It is how I can get in/out vehicle and move, back up etc in a field when I get hay. BUT, I am not ADVOCATING U not wear seatbelt. During Normal Operation and on any roadway/highway always wear your seatbelt. I have seen way too many crashes with bodies all over the road, and it is not fun to work.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, I think I’ll skip on the seat belt extenders and concentrate on the u-connect settings. I question if the auto parking brake feature is working right on my truck anyway. I ran an errand in it this evening and from the warning light on the dash for it, its operation seems to be a bit schhizophrenic

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another thing I'm glad I don't have. I can back up with the door open at 60 MPH. I did one time "forget" to put the knob in park before I got out and the truck didn't go anywhere. The knob shifter was a learning curve for a while.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Push/pull brake release - nothing.
Is the parking brake staying engaged? If you step on the gas does the truck act like your stuck or does the engine just rev?
If the engine just revs, make sure the door is fully closed

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thanks, I think I’ll skip on the seat belt extenders and concentrate on the u-connect settings. I question if the auto parking brake feature is working right on my truck anyway. I ran an errand in it this evening and from the warning light on the dash for it, its operation seems to be a bit schhizophrenic
Uconnect settings cannot disable that nanny auto brake brake feature. Nothing can disable it. You have to fool it. The best is to buckle your seat belt and sit on it or get the extenders as so many have suggested.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is the parking brake staying engaged? If you step on the gas does the truck act like your stuck or does the engine just rev?
If the engine just revs, make sure the door is fully closed
It’s staying engaged and the truck acts like it’s struggling against the brake and torque converter.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It’s staying engaged and the truck acts like it’s struggling against the brake and torque converter.
There should be a setting in the radio to stop the electric parking brake from automatically setting when the vehicle is placed in park.
There might be a problem with the parking brake sticking or hanging up, it may need to be serviced.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Uconnect settings cannot disable that nanny auto brake brake feature. Nothing can disable it. You have to fool it. The best is to buckle your seat belt and sit on it or get the extenders as so many have suggested.
TALKING about turning OFF the auto engage aspect of the emergency brake where it engages every time vehicle put into park. There is a section in U Connect menu's under "BRAKE" that U can either enable or disable that feature. Not the friggin RAM NANNY Safety Feature that slams vehicle into park and engages E brake when U open door while trying to move vehicle.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the trailer is plugged in the rear sensors are automatically turned off
ONLY on the 7 pin connector when it detects electric brakes/system. On the 4 pin hookup, U would have to hit the switch(s) and deactivate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have not had time to try to get into u-connect yet. I’ll try to today. I was using the 4 pin trailer hookup. It’s a small utility trailer and I didn’t have the tow setting activated. The front and rear park sensors were turned off.

Thanks