Dash Cams - What Do You Have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since I've moved to the land of the kamikaze driver I'm in the market for a dash cam.

I've read reviews and tried to learn a bit about options and features but I'm still not sure what to buy.

I'd like to get some input from those who have dash cams:

1. What brand & model do you have?
2. Did you go with front and rear cams?
3. What features do you like?
4. What features do you not like?
5. Is it easy to upload videos from the cam to your phone or to some form of media? (USB, SD Card, etc...)
6. Lastly, is there feature you don't have that you wish came with your cam?

Thanks for your time and input. It is appreciated.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the one i recently upgraded to: http://test.aukey.com/products/dual-dash-cameras-dr02d

Front and back, out of the way. I upgraded from the DR01 which was just a front camera. Has a nice record button that records whatever you want to in the spot and it will go in a saved folder and will not be overwritten from the other vids

Ive had plenty of the cheaper ones and they all fell apart, the DR01 worked for me for years, just wanted the upgrade to have back video

Sample videos on: https://www.youtube.com/c/therealrene1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some pics of them setup in truck

c095e9cb314a535e016e1239e0202eb3.jpg
1ede15a8ba8dd9c810b6c6d6148e6f48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you.

I hadn't looked at Aukey's products yet so I'll put it on my list.

I appreciate the info.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Running a Blackvue DR550GW-2CH in mine for about 5 - 6 years now without a single issue. With the built in wi-fi you can view on your phone without having to remove the SD card, fits nicely behind the rear view mirror and doesn't block any visibility.

Dash cam installation

Put a Thinkware in my sons truck, just as small an unobtrusive, but quite a bit cheaper. So far it's been fine, only been a couple of months though, jury's still out on reliability.

https://smile.amazon.com/THINKWARE-Bundle-Hardwiring-MicroSD-Included/dp/B07FK9Y4GW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2O5Z1Q6H6THOT&dchild=1&keywords=thinkware+fa200&qid=1602798570&sprefix=thinkware,aps,192&sr=8-2

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, gents. It's been very helpful.

Is there anything you don't like about your current unit?

Is there anything you really like about your current unit?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like how mine is small and pretty unnoticeable. I recently had the roof painted on my truck and left it in there in case anything happened and from the videos it got I doubt they even noticed it.

I also like how I didn't spend much money on it and got a decent dash cam.

Only thing I really don't like about is no rear camera....

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Like Hemi395 - I like how small mine is, not noticable at all.

I didn't like the price when I bought it, but back then there weren't that many around that were reliable, choices were limited.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i helped my dad install this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5MBNZ...olid=2AYC5S61LSC8J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

he seems to like it, it has gps speed built into it and it can be turned off if needed. the app seemed pretty cool and straight forward when i was checking it out after we got it installed.

i think i am using https://www.amazon.com/R2-4K-Dashbo...&qid=1602811237&sprefix=rav+da,aps,212&sr=8-3

i cant remember, havent messed with it since i set it up. i had the stereo shop install the power cord (keyed) for me after they tinted my windows.

i've had several since 2014.

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I bought this guy in August of this year:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0895D965Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Aukey Mini Dash Cam 1080p

I also purchased the add-on GPS antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BPP411/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The dash cam was on promotion so I got it for $25.99. Its just a single channel (no rear camera). I wanted something small and unobtrusive. It does not have a battery or capacitor so it only turns on when it has power. I kept looking at the $200+ cams and could not decide but this one was cheap so I thought I'd give it a try.

Its OK. There is an issue to where the exposure is too dark. You can change the exposure but it defaults back to zero when power is shut off. I got tired of changing it every time I started the truck. You can turn the screen off so it does not light up the cabin at night. The screen is tiny; its 1.5 inches. I only used it to set it up. The unit can support 128GB microSD card. It has no wifi so you must pull the microSD card out to get the videos off.

The picture quality is just merely OK. It does not have a super high resolution (1080P@30FPS). You can usually read license plate numbers but it gets washed out at night and in bright sunlight.

Its a basic, inexpensive dash cam. I like how small it is. It basically hides in front of the rear view mirror and doesn't block my vision. The GPS cord was about 2 feet shorter than the power cord which sucked because I already had it mounted to the windshield using the double sided tape and then I had to move it because I used the power cord to gauge the cord length. I mounted the GPS antenna at the base of the windshield on the little square bolt cover panel on the passenger side. It connects quickly and is pretty accurate when compared with the GPS in my phone.

I'll probably get a better unit with a rear camera when this one dies. But for the price, its decent.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I'd like to get some input from those who have dash cams:
1. What brand & model do you have?
Blackvue dr750s-2ch
Power Magic EZ (plugs into OBD for power and shutoff based on time or vehicle battery level)
Polarizing filter

2. Did you go with front and rear cams?
yes.
Front cam is upside down below the moisture sensor on the passenger side windshield so it's not in my eye line. I can reach to trigger manual recording but my wife can't reach when driving.
Rear cam is upside down behind the rear driver side headrest, as high up and towards the centre of the truck as it can be while being out of sight. Has an unobstructed view of both sides and behind, with only a few feet of rear vision lost compared to top of window centre mount and the defroster grid can keep the view clear.

3. What features do you like?
hand wave can trigger manual recording, high quality night recording, timelaps park mode, small size.

4. What features do you not like?
Direct WiFi link is free but link via WiFi networks requires subscription (with a free tier).

5. Is it easy to upload videos from the cam to your phone or to some form of media? (USB, SD Card, etc...)
Yes. Files can be accessed by SDcard or WiFi (Direct or via web with subscription). They have model with a cell connection. App lets you find clips by time, event type, or location on map.

6. Lastly, is there feature you don't have that you wish came with your cam?
nope

Last edited:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Get the hardwire kit if and wire it into upper console. Took me less than 1/2 hour to splice it in. Wired to the rear slider positive. Comes on auto when truck starts. I have a $40 Yi 1080p dashcam, has WiFi built in to download videos. Been in truck around 3 years now, zero issues. I turned off the warning thing to tell you cars are close, was annoying. Is hidden behind mirror, I have forgot it even is there at times. Been to 110+ degree places and no issues.

IMG_20201015_152551.jpg

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I use a Thinkware in another vehicle, it’s probably not the current model any more. One thing to consider is batteries vs. capacitors, the caps can handle heat better but cost more.

I like the WiFi phone connection for review or downloading vids. I wouldn’t have one without that.

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the hardwire kit if and wire it into upper console. Took me less than 1/2 hour to splice it in. Wired to the rear slider positive. Comes on auto when truck starts. I have a $40 Yi 1080p dashcam, has WiFi built in to download videos. Been in truck around 3 years now, zero issues. I turned off the warning thing to tell you cars are close, was annoying. Is hidden behind mirror, I have forgot it even is there at times. Been to 110+ degree places and no issues.

View attachment 224872

You have a link or exact model number for this? Thanks

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A119 V3, I've been very happy with it as its discreet, doesn't mind scorching TX heat, and didn't break the bank:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
You have a link or exact model number for this? Thanks
Depends on your dash cam, some come with usb c others micro usb etc. Was 2.5 years ago I installed mine, couldn't find it under my old amazon orders. I see now there is many more options. Like this. Wouldn't need many items if wiring to rear slider overhead power. My kit was basic a red and blue wire and other end usb c if I remember right.

Screenshot_2020-10-18-01-25-36-141_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg