Dealer feeding me bs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ToTtest the charging system I would remove the battery from the truck and put it on a trickle charger for 8 hours. Then, I would put a DVOM attached to the back side of the alternator on a cold start and monitor the voltage thought the warm-up cycle.

I also do not go by the gauges in the instrument cluster. They are there to provide you with basically a predetermined value to show you the system is charging, not actual voltage.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Do you have another dealer close that you can deal with?
Jay
yes thats not right did u see what the battery say for voltage ? yes I go 26 miles to a better dealer ! hope they fix my broken lifter and cam on engine ! go to auto zone they checked mine for free ! then wnet to wallmart they gave me a new battery cuz it had the 5 year on it and more cracking amp 1,000 so gota do what ya gota do ! john waine !

Donald Parker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My battery was replaced last year under warranty too. It would be dead after 2 days of sitting in the cold. Dealer here tried to charge me $270 for it. I had to give his head a shake. The service clerk then admitted it was an honest mistake. Yeah right....he woulda taken my $270 had I been an uninformed owner.

Once the warranty ends and this battery craps out, it'll be Costco batteries from now on.
Believe it or not, I did the research and WalMart Everstart Platinum (made by Johnson Controls) are actually the highest rated batteries and have a 5 year FULL REPLACEMENT warranty. Whereas, Costco sells Interstate batteries (also very good), but they only have a pro-rated 3 Year warranty. I just replaced both OEM batteries in my truck and I am very happy. Even got substantially higher CCAs (850 vs 750) vs. Interstate or OEM (Mopar). Dealer wanted the $270 each, and I paid $165 each.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
You might try clipping on a digital voltmeter to the battery, note the value then start the truck, note the value again, then load that battery/charging system and note those values. By "loading" I mean turn on the hi-beam headlights, then the A/C, and so on. If your voltage regulation system is working properly, the voltage should stay up. If it drops too much, the reg. is faulty and may not be charging your battery. Also, make sure your battery terminals are and stay clean---the charging system may be fine, but a bad connection to the battery may hose it all up. Corroded grounds were a common problem overseas in the tropics. If this seems too elementary, don't be insulted, there could be someone less experienced who reads this and benefits. And I have to wonder if the new LED-type headlights really are much of a load, like the old-timey ones were, hmmm. Happy Trails

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Expand your knowledge! Someone here said that mid 14's voltage is "normal" as a scanner reading. Industry standard is that, under 15 volts should be OK; but never over that! As a professional technician, I scan all different vehicles day in and day out. 13.2 is closer to a mean average overall. Try not to peel onions here. Many commercial jets have crashed and killed over a pilot being mesmerized by a gauge reading. I strongly recommend AGM batteries and use them myself. These days, wet acid batteries fail with alarming frequency and at such short periods after it has been replaced or the vehicle has been bought new. AGM's are expensive, but add a huge reliability factor! Test the starter circuit too. perform voltage drop tests (Can you say "Youtube"?) I knew you could! ;) You won't get a one shot diagnosis, especially here. Get a good DVOM and get proficient at using it! In my GM formal training, they really emphasized ground, ground, ground connection integrity! I've fixed more enigmatic problems by fixing high resistance grounds that any other fix..... even on new vehicles!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't put too much faith in the gauge.They're not that accurate.The one plugged in is probably more accurate.A good DVOM or scan tool would be even better.14.6 volts is a normal high but as long as it's under 15 it won't boil the battery.

I checked mine with a Simpson digital meter and it's right on.

Charging at 14.6 volts is not unusual in colder weather.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028718 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Expand your knowledge! Someone here said that mid 14's voltage is "normal" as a scanner reading. Industry standard is that, under 15 volts should be OK; but never over that! [deletia] Get a good DVOM and get proficient at using it! In my GM formal training, they really emphasized ground, ground, ground connection integrity! I've fixed more enigmatic problems by fixing high resistance grounds that any other fix..... even on new vehicles!

There are several ground terminal studs mounted to both front fenders. I had two intermittent problems: memory seat would occasionally not move into position, and the radio screen would go into reset.

Since there was a recall for a loss of steering due to paint on the main ground terminal on the left front fender, I decided to check each one by disassembling the ground connection on the studs, cleaning them with a small wire brush and burnishing the attaching nuts and terminals. I then applied anti-oxidant and re-assembled.

Neither problem has returned in eight months.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 028718 miles.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I must be one lucky dude- 33 years of car/truck ownership I think I’ve replaced 1 battery! My 2011 Ram still has the original battery! I went out a few days ago for a drive, it was sitting for a month, and it started right up!

E-DAWG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I have been having a hard time starting my new warlock. I have had to boost the truck once and the voltage gauge sits high. I was at the dealer and after a bit of a fight they replaced the battery under warranty. But the charging system is still is high. they say it’s ok but from what I know 14.2 while running is where u want to be. Not 14.9 and I have even seen 15.3v. Guess I have to fight them some more. View attachment 192564View attachment 192565

Can't you get current voltage from the factory evic instead of using a USB adapter?

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Expand your knowledge! Someone here said that mid 14's voltage is "normal" as a scanner reading. Industry standard is that, under 15 volts should be OK; but never over that! As a professional technician, I scan all different vehicles day in and day out. 13.2 is closer to a mean average overall. Try not to peel onions here. Many commercial jets have crashed and killed over a pilot being mesmerized by a gauge reading. I strongly recommend AGM batteries and use them myself. These days, wet acid batteries fail with alarming frequency and at such short periods after it has been replaced or the vehicle has been bought new. AGM's are expensive, but add a huge reliability factor! Test the starter circuit too. perform voltage drop tests (Can you say "Youtube"?) I knew you could! ;) You won't get a one shot diagnosis, especially here. Get a good DVOM and get proficient at using it! In my GM formal training, they really emphasized ground, ground, ground connection integrity! I've fixed more enigmatic problems by fixing high resistance grounds that any other fix..... even on new vehicles!
13.2 V is normal for a fully charged battery yes.A battery will only take what it needs.After a cold start you're more apt to see 14.6 and then drop off as it tops up.Regulators usually fail on the high side.Low voltage out of the alt. is more likely one of the winding failing or worn brushes.15 years at GM myself.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My battery was replaced last year under warranty too. It would be dead after 2 days of sitting in the cold. Dealer here tried to charge me $270 for it. I had to give his head a shake. The service clerk then admitted it was an honest mistake. Yeah right....he woulda taken my $270 had I been an uninformed owner.

Once the warranty ends and this battery craps out, it'll be Costco batteries from now on.

I'm in Ontario as well & I had similar issues with my 2013 Ram that I purchased new ... two weeks after I picked it up I went to New Brunswick to visit my son ... My truck sat for the last two days before I left and it wouldn't start .. Not even with a boost ... Had it towed into Fredericton and the dealer put it on a charger and they said it was fine and charged me $48 ... Truck was only 2 weeks old but they said they found no cause for the drain thus the -charge ... luckily FCA reimbursed me ... On the way back to Ontario I stopped in Quebec to grab a bite and got a low battery caution ... I made it back to Ontario and took it into my local dealer and they said the battery was toast and replaced it ... Same thing happened about 4 weeks later with the new battery ... Went to Total Battery and bought a Northstar AGM and problem solved ... I even bought a new 2017 RAM and had the Northstar put in my new truck, and it's still going strong ... They're pricey but I've had it for 5 years now with no problems ... Both trucks were Longhorn models with all the electrical do-dads ... If you have a Total Battery store where you are, I'd highly recommend it ...

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Believe it or not, I did the research and WalMart Everstart Platinum (made by Johnson Controls) are actually the highest rated batteries and have a 5 year FULL REPLACEMENT warranty. Whereas, Costco sells Interstate batteries (also very good), but they only have a pro-rated 3 Year warranty. I just replaced both OEM batteries in my truck and I am very happy. Even got substantially higher CCAs (850 vs 750) vs. Interstate or OEM (Mopar). Dealer wanted the $270 each, and I paid $165 each.
I bought a battery at walmart 6 years ago. It went bad in about 2.5 years . it was a 3 year full replacement. I returned it to walmart & they said they no longer exchange them. You have to contact the manufacturer and return it to them for testing, so in the end **ck them. I will never buy another battery from them.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I must be one lucky dude- 33 years of car/truck ownership I think I’ve replaced 1 battery! My 2011 Ram still has the original battery! I went out a few days ago for a drive, it was sitting for a month, and it started right up!
I bought my 2012 in 2015 and assumed it was the original battery because I didnt think the dealership would put a new one in if they didnt have to. It works perfect still-just wondering if it is the original battery or not. Its a OPTIMA with yellow on top and doesnt look like a battery I have ever bought in the past. Is that original or replacement. It has the blanket around it - and actually havent put much thought into it as it has always fired up. Is that factory-2012?

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
An Optima battery is not an original battery. An Optima battery is an expensive aftermarket battery.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Its a OPTIMA with yellow on top and doesnt look like a battery I have ever bought in the past.
As stated above an Optima is not the original or OEM battery, probably not something a dealer would put in either unless requested.
I had an Optima Red top that was 9 years old when I sold that vehicle. It was ran to dead 3 times from someone leaving the door open and it always started the vehicle even if it sat for a week or two.
Optima are AGM type batteries, the yellow top means it's a deep cycle/starting battery.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OEM will say MOPAR on it. That doesn't necessarily mean you're *****, I've heard of many lasting a good long time but for me this is my 2nd Mopar battery fail on me just a couple years old in the last 20 years in nee cars, luckily both failed while under 3/36 warranty.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in Ontario as well & I had similar issues with my 2013 Ram that I purchased new ... two weeks after I picked it up I went to New Brunswick to visit my son ... My truck sat for the last two days before I left and it wouldn't start .. Not even with a boost ... Had it towed into Fredericton and the dealer put it on a charger and they said it was fine and charged me $48 ... Truck was only 2 weeks old but they said they found no cause for the drain thus the -charge ... luckily FCA reimbursed me ... On the way back to Ontario I stopped in Quebec to grab a bite and got a low battery caution ... I made it back to Ontario and took it into my local dealer and they said the battery was toast and replaced it ... Same thing happened about 4 weeks later with the new battery ... Went to Total Battery and bought a Northstar AGM and problem solved ... I even bought a new 2017 RAM and had the Northstar put in my new truck, and it's still going strong ... They're pricey but I've had it for 5 years now with no problems ... Both trucks were Longhorn models with all the electrical do-dads ... If you have a Total Battery store where you are, I'd highly recommend it ...

Nice. How much was the northstar agm? I've never tried agm before as I've generally have had good luck with the Kirkland lead acid from costco. The 4% cashback plus warranty has always been a good incentive. I bought a pair of 6v golfcart gc2 batteries for the rv and they've been excellent! Just have to make sure you dont allow them to discharge beyond 50% and top them off once in a while. They've been sitting in my basement since Nov and still are holding 12.75v.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
As stated above an Optima is not the original or OEM battery, probably not something a dealer would put in either unless requested.
I had an Optima Red top that was 9 years old when I sold that vehicle. It was ran to dead 3 times from someone leaving the door open and it always started the vehicle even if it sat for a week or two.
Optima are AGM type batteries, the yellow top means it's a deep cycle/starting battery.

Optima was terrific, right up till they got bought out and shipped everything to MExico.