Dealer says I need a new transmission, what happened?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, this is more of a a s**T sucks post but anyway. Truck(2018 1500 5.7 8HP70 44) I’ve felt it surge a couple times to 3-4 or 4-5 when it was cold leaving my housing area in the morning and once I leave it and get on the main road it acts fine the rest of the day. The other day my wife drove it up the hill and it surges shuttered and threw the p0733 for 3rd gear ration incorrect or something… so I call and scheduled a inspection. Few days later maintenance tech reports I need a new transmission and the shop foreman will validate it before they send it to the warranty company who might send another tech to validate it. Seems a bit over the top but whatever. My main question is what happened? It didn’t drive on the way to the dealer like it needed a new trans. I figured it would have needed some more fluid or maybe some software glitch not engaging the gears right but damn… anyone with experience with this how did your process go and what the heck broke…?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles? Have you had the tranny fluid changed recently? Reason I ask is, it's possible the shudder is just that ...shudder caused by using a different ATF. Do a google search on transmission shudder. Real common and a lot of people/places would think the tranny is shot. I bet a lot of otherwise good transmission get replaced due to shudder that could have been remedied. You could try adding some anti-shudder agent to your transmission and see what happens.

I had it happen on a GM truck years ago about a month after changing the fluid. I used Valvoline ATF, but I have not idea what was in it before I bought it. The shudder was severe. I was sure I was in for a tranny rebuild. After reading about it, certain fluids contain somewhat slightly different amounts of anti-shudder compound/s. I changed the fluid to Penzoil (which states they use more) ...and yes, just like others on the forums, the problem went away in about 50 miles. That was about 15 years ago and I still have the truck. Never gave a single tranny issue since.

I've had to replace shift solenoids on older chrysler trannys (which shifted crazy prior to the solenoid replacement). I know yours isn't an RFE but a transmission has a lot of components which could affect shifting, like: plugged filter, cracked filter gasket, solenoid issues, rodent-chewed or burnt wire, incorrect fluid level, etc. That's why it's so important to have a very good diagnosis. Hopefully the guy coming to look at the transmission will be thorough. But if its a transmission shop recommending a new tranny, see what a Chrysler dealer has to say (or another tranny shop).

If it's coming out of your pocket, I would definitely get another opinion (or two).

Last edited:
OP
OP
RougeIT

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’s got 44k on the odometer. I bought it CPO certified 9 months ago… I have not had the transmission fluid replaced yet but was planning to do a filter and atf fluid for that trans next month but guess I’ll have a new one… I’ve only added 8k miles to it since I bought it

OP
OP
RougeIT

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Also it “should” be under warranty. I’ve got the 84/100k powertrain which technically is good until the truck becomes 7 years old so good thing it happened now

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is that a dealer which is warranting/replacing the tranny?

OP
OP
RougeIT

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You would think they would do the valve body first before replacing it, Is it the ZF 8 speed.
Yeah it’s the 8speed… that’s what I read, wonder why either … maybe it’s less labor costs for the replacement idk… when I get the next call about time line of inspector coming out I’m gonna ask what happened. With it being what I think is low miles.. hell I had a F350 with 300k and the dreaded 6.4ps with our any real builds of anything…. Or better yet my 90 GMC Sierra almost as old as me I hf it for years many more miles and I had the engine rebuilt be for the trans so I’m still lost

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah it’s the 8speed… that’s what I read, wonder why either … maybe it’s less labor costs for the replacement idk… when I get the next call about time line of inspector coming out I’m gonna ask what happened. With it being what I think is low miles.. hell I had a F350 with 300k and the dreaded 6.4ps with our any real builds of anything…. Or better yet my 90 GMC Sierra almost as old as me I hf it for years many more miles and I had the engine rebuilt be for the trans so I’m still lost
If it was me,i wouldn't be asking to many questions or suggesting anything,till after they had the new transmission installed,lol

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
If it was me,i wouldn't be asking to many questions or suggesting anything,till after they had the new transmission installed,lol
Bingo @Wild one

You’ve got them willing to replace/rebuild the trans and I say let them do it. I don’t have experience with a failed RAM trans, but my fair share of **** trans experiences with Ford. After my 3rd visit, they finally agreed to replace it, and then I felt for the first time that the rig had a trans that was going to work correctly.

In my case, nothing was done wrong except that Ford clearly did not properly maintain the car. I had an air filter that Was supposed to be replaced 3 k miles before I pulled it….it looked like it was run through a sand storm and someone wiped their ass with it for 10 years. I ended up making that report to Ford corporate.

Long story short, let them take care of you fully now and I’m glad they are willing to replace it without you having to fight for that Or go back multiple times before they decide to rebuild it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wish my problems were like the OP's, someone wanting to give me new chit at the cost of thousands. Lifetime tranny fluid so they cant even buzz you about maintenance.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
stuff happens. And be glad they are fixing it after one visit. Had a Honda minivan that got its trans replaced at around 30K miles under warranty. Problem was it took like 3 trips for them to finally admit it was leaking from the case and there wasnt a gasket or any other part they could replace.

OP
OP
RougeIT

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I wish my problems were like the OP's, someone wanting to give me new chit at the cost of thousands. Lifetime tranny fluid so they cant even buzz you about maintenance.
I feel lucky reading others posts for sure. It’s just frustrating ya know

OP
OP
RougeIT

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
stuff happens. And be glad they are fixing it after one visit. Had a Honda minivan that got its trans replaced at around 30K miles under warranty. Problem was it took like 3 trips for them to finally admit it was leaking from the case and there wasnt a gasket or any other part they could replace.
Our best family car has always been the odyssey, hell we are on our 3rd one reading up to the newer one and I’ve never had an issue with one. The only complaint I have now is the service schedule they have like 8k miles… no no no I do it in between the free dealer service… just like this transmission service told to us by dodge, I’ll start doing a black stone at ever 15-20k maybe more just to see how the fluid is holding up compared to new.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm thinking they want to go that route because they'll have less hours, resources and cost into it by just swapping the whole unit.

Very odd and rare to have such a new and low mileage 8HP70 have issues.

What was the vehicle's history (carfax)? Was it an ex-rental or lease return?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Our best family car has always been the odyssey, hell we are on our 3rd one reading up to the newer one and I’ve never had an issue with one. The only complaint I have now is the service schedule they have like 8k miles… no no no I do it in between the free dealer service… just like this transmission service told to us by dodge, I’ll start doing a black stone at ever 15-20k maybe more just to see how the fluid is holding up compared to new.
LOL.... best vehicle I've ever owned (and it's not even close) is my 2008 Honda Odyssey. We bought it slightly used back in 2010 when we had twins and it's my daily driver to this day. We recently moved to Maui and I couldn't part with it so I shipped it over. Brakes and oil changes are all I've ever done and she just keeps on going. And it's a joy to drive too. Great visibility, easy to get in/out of, small enough to fit in tight spots, big enough to move the seats and haul so real materials. And, best of all, my wife can rest easy that I'm not going to pickup any women since 50 year old men driving mini-vans don't exactly look cool. :)

As for OP, yeah, if it's under warranty I'd gladly take a new tranny. The one on my 2500 Hemi (66rfe) failed twice and they rebuilt it. It still doesn't feel right but it's holding for now. My failures were at 38K and 90K. I'm now at 120K but the truck sits most of the time as I left it on the mainland and only drive it when I'm there which is usually +/- a week every month for work.

OP
OP
RougeIT

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm thinking they want to go that route because they'll have less hours, resources and cost into it by just swapping the whole unit.

It was a 1 owner clean carfax all services where completed in time…

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Actually, I've been told by the transmission tech. at my dealership that other than a valvebody and some seals, 8HPs are not dealership rebuilt. For anything else besides the aforementioned components, they get a factory new or rebuilt.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74263 miles

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
How many miles? Have you had the tranny fluid changed recently? Reason I ask is, it's possible the shudder is just that ...shudder caused by using a different ATF. Do a google search on transmission shudder. Real common and a lot of people/places would think the tranny is shot. I bet a lot of otherwise good transmission get replaced due to shudder that could have been remedied. You could try adding some anti-shudder agent to your transmission and see what happens.

I had it happen on a GM truck years ago about a month after changing the fluid. I used Valvoline ATF, but I have not idea what was in it before I bought it. The shudder was severe. I was sure I was in for a tranny rebuild. After reading about it, certain fluids contain somewhat slightly different amounts of anti-shudder compound/s. I changed the fluid to Penzoil (which states they use more) ...and yes, just like others on the forums, the problem went away in about 50 miles. That was about 15 years ago and I still have the truck. Never gave a single tranny issue since.

I've had to replace shift solenoids on older chrysler trannys (which shifted crazy prior to the solenoid replacement). I know yours isn't an RFE but a transmission has a lot of components which could affect shifting, like: plugged filter, cracked filter gasket, solenoid issues, rodent-chewed or burnt wire, incorrect fluid level, etc. That's why it's so important to have a very good diagnosis. Hopefully the guy coming to look at the transmission will be thorough. But if its a transmission shop recommending a new tranny, see what a Chrysler dealer has to say (or another tranny shop).

If it's coming out of your pocket, I would definitely get another opinion (or two).
ATF is a licensed product. Brands don't matter.