Dealer using 3rd party diff fluids?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just talked to my dealer's parts dept, since I was gathering prices for diff/TC fluid (do it myself..focused on Mopar fluids for warranty).

The parts guy told me their dealership is using a "Mopar approved" 3rd party fluid for the front and rear diffs now, but is still using the special Mopar stuff for the transfer case.

Anyone heard of this "3rd party" approved fluid? He mentioned it was a partnership with BG? And he said they don't put the friction modifier in, since it is already in the diff fluid.

And here's the kicker: he said Mopar was going to 75w140 in the rear AND front? WTF? My manual says 140 in the rear, 75/85 in the front. And I read somewhere on here that the 5th gen trucks are going to 75/85 in the rear also?

So much misinformation.....

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whatever the dealer says....get it in writing...get everything in writing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
75w140 is awful heavy for the front.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've never seen anything but penzoil at my dealer for oil changes so 3rd party fluids come as no surprise, but the heavier oil in the front is odd. Maybe there's a service notice on their system for the change. I 'd want to see it though, but they'll pull up the vin and use whatever fluid spec they get through the fca system for your truck at the dealer.At least they should. They do sometimes change specs based on failures.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I plan to follow what is in my operating manual, and FCA can never argue with that.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are probably 20 gear lubes that meet Mopar specs

Exactly. And a dealership cannot void your warranty based on what brand you use. All that matters is that it meets Mopar specs. You’re throwing money away if you’re buying fluids at the dealer because you’re trying to make sure they can’t void your warranty. Not to mention, they have no idea what brand you did use if something happens. You can just say “I used Mopar fluid” and they can’t tell otherwise.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Aside from certain transmission, power steering and T-case fluids, I don't know of a dealer out there that uses OEM for 75w80 - 75w140 plain'ol gear oil.

They would never know if you had Supertech or Mopar gear oil in there anyway.