Deer suicide yesterday! Need a grill!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
What are my options to replace my grill, dang dear clipped my grill and broke enough plastic to have to replace it.

Here's the current grill, it's a Black 1500 Limited Ecodiesel with a lot of chrome. And, are they hard to install? Thanks....

Grill_resize.JPG

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
it's 4 christmas tree plugs on the engine shroud, then 4 bolts. After that, there are 4 more connectors that snap into place on the body.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
not real hard to take off. some of the christmas tree plugs will break....not convinced they are all needed becuase I put mine back on without replacing them and the grill is on solid

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
the 4 bolts on top are key, along with at least 2 of the 4 body clips that hold it tight to the body

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
make sure to tape the bumper cap really well to avoid scratching it when the last plug lets loose on the bottom (ask me how I know lol)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Can pull the grill in about 10 minutes. Remember it, because if a headlight bulb goes out, you'll need to do it again :)

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I added this westin grill guard with 2 inch tube for the next time around.

IMG_0725.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
It takes you ten minutes? :rotflmao:;)
Pop hood...beer...pull plugs and take two bolts out....beer....take other two bolts out and look in fender wheel...beer....get my point :D

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like its pretty easy.

Can pull the grill in about 10 minutes. Remember it, because if a headlight bulb goes out, you'll need to do it again :)

hmmm... thanks, I did not know you need to remove the grill to change headlights... interesting/dumb! I love my Ram truck, but now that I'm starting to tinker with it a bit (added running lights, working on adding bed lights, and now a grill), I have to say the way some of it is put together is REDICULOUS!! I can't even believe what is under the dash, and more importantly HOW it is under the dash. It looks like a 2 year old did the wiring and connections, and then a 4 year old bolted some stuff (amps, CPU's..) on top of the 2 year olds wiring. Absolutely absurd under there. It doesn't even look like it would be easy to do, it looks like it was hard for them to make a mess under there, crazy!

Note to Ram design engineers, THINK about what your doing and putting in there! Don't just throw it in there, PLAN it for gods sake. And DON'T tell me "we did plan it", because YOU DIDN'T, and it's perfectly clear you didn't! (ok, venting over! :) )

Deer hit traveling 75 MPH.

I hit him doing 35, but as you can see from the minimum damage to just the grill, I just barely clipped him, but enough to break the plastic.

I've seen some really cool looking grill's online with light bars built into them, maybe I'll go that route since I'm doing it. BUT, all the ones with the light bars on them seem to have lots of "crap" all over them, like fake rivets around the outside, a giant really ugly brand emblem right in the middle.... Does anyone know of a simple chrome mesh grill with an LED light bar on it, without all the hoopla on it?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After about 2-3 times removing the grill, you will see how easy it is. There are 2 bolts and a plastic securing-thingie that hold the light housing in.

I can take my impact driver out, and remove both headlights in 5 minutes.

1) remove 4 - plastic retainers for the top shroud
2) remove 4 - 10 mm bolts that hold the top of the grill (course threads go in the middle 2
3) tape the painted bumper cover on each side between the grill and cover (I use blue painters tape)
4) pull straight back to remove all 4 push pins that hold the grill on.

I did get 8 extra push pins from the dealer (they usually stock them since they break). I put automotive grease on mine (I replaced all 4 of mine), it makes it considerably easier to remove/assemble in the future.

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
After about 2-3 times removing the grill, you will see how easy it is. There are 2 bolts and a plastic securing-thingie that hold the light housing in.

I can take my impact driver out, and remove both headlights in 5 minutes.

1) remove 4 - plastic retainers for the top shroud
2) remove 4 - 10 mm bolts that hold the top of the grill (course threads go in the middle 2
3) tape the painted bumper cover on each side between the grill and cover (I use blue painters tape)
4) pull straight back to remove all 4 push pins that hold the grill on.

I did get 8 extra push pins from the dealer (they usually stock them since they break). I put automotive grease on mine (I replaced all 4 of mine), it makes it considerably easier to remove/assemble in the future.

Awesome, thanks for detail!

Now I just need to find a mesh style chrome grill with light bar, without all the hoopla on it.

I've seen some really cool looking grill's online with light bars built into them, maybe I'll go that route since I'm doing it. BUT, all the ones with the light bars on them seem to have lots of "crap" all over them, like fake rivets around the outside, a giant really ugly brand emblem right in the middle.... Does anyone know of a simple chrome mesh grill with an LED light bar on it, without all the hoopla on it?

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I try not to mess with anything plastic til the truck is either in a warm garage (for a long time) or when the temps are above 60....

Triple Black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
That suck dude. I saw three deer last night driving in my '14. First time in a long time I saw deer while driving in a truck. The high pitch turbo whine in the '08 diesel scared the deer off, and with the '02... well.. I hope a deer jumps in front of it, 'cuz it will be dinner. The 'ol lady would love for me to bring home road kill venison!

Deer whistles are a cheap investment. I had them on all my cars for the last twenty years after I hit a deer in 2000. There's on my list for the '14.

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Products-LLC-0001-Save-A-Deer/dp/B003XNGLJU

Last edited:

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Youtube has some videos posted for grill removal. Very helpful

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I try not to mess with anything plastic til the truck is either in a warm garage (for a long time) or when the temps are above 60....

Good advice, Seems like I'll be waiting till July the way the temps have been here!

That suck dude. I saw three deer last night driving in my '14. First time in a long time I saw deer while driving in a truck. The high pitch turbo whine in the '08 diesel scared the deer off, and with the '02... well.. I hope a deer jumps in front of it, 'cuz it will be dinner. The 'ol lady would love for me to bring home road kill venison!

Deer whistles are a cheap investment. I had them on all my cars for the last twenty years after I hit a deer in 2000. There's on my list for the '14.

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Products-LLC-0001-Save-A-Deer/dp/B003XNGLJU

Problem with those is you have to be doing 35mph or better for it to work. My street which is loaded with deer is a 30 that most of us drive 20 on.m

Youtube has some videos posted for grill removal. Very helpful

Saw some of those.....thanks. ;)