Defective 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikey_fin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
realize this forum is probably not the correct spot to rant about my defective vehicle but I am at wits end, RAM has been unhelpful, my dealership has been unhelpful and the end is nowhere in sight for me.

I want to express that I am brand loyal. I had a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5 7 hemi, after I had a 2016 Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi.

My 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn i purchased from Shaker Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram certified pre owned has had nothing but problems, and I feel as if I have been scammed out of my money - $36,500 to be exact.

I purchased the vehicle in July 2022 with 60k miles. The truck had slight electrical issues from the start, and the dealership was unhelpful and not communicative. These electrical gremlins were brief and the truck operated perfectly until Nov 29, 2022 when it died completely. Every light on the dash lit up, the windshield wipers started running, "dont shift out of gear until you reach location." Truck wouldn't shift. Thankfully i did not have my boat hooked up to the back of the truck when this happened. I had the truck towed to Hollywood Chrysler Jeep here in Florida.

I called the dealership: the sales manager at Shaker CJDR Nicole Cherubini and she told me "we cannot foresee issues when a truck leaves the lot and electrical problems are complicated."

Hollywood Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram here in Florida and they have been troubleshooting major electrical issues for over 2 and a 1/2 months with no solution in sight. They replaced battery, shifter, transmission valve body. I took the car for a day, and the truck died again.

I do understand the complexity of electrical systems in these trucks and now I understand the need to purchase a new vehicle in order to have proper service and customer support.

RAM customer service has been communicative but not helpful. The consensus seems to be that this truck has major electrical issues that needs more troubleshooting. My issue is that my funds are ******* in this vehicle leaving my unable to purchase a new vehicle and my business is suffering.

Rant over. I'm done crying. But seriously what's a guy supposed to do ‍♂️

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you still under warranty? Try a different dealer. All dealers are not the same. I will not take my truck to the local Ram dealer. If I need dealer service I take it to the local Jeep/Chrysler dealer about 3 miles away from the Ram dealer. Both dealerships are owned by the same automotive group yet the Jeep dealer has been outstanding where the Ram dealer has been incompetent. As you said electrical issues are complicated, unless the dealership has a good electrical tech they will continue to throw parts at your vehicle hoping for the best. If it were my vehicle I’d try a different dealership.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
realize this forum is probably not the correct spot to rant about my defective vehicle but I am at wits end, RAM has been unhelpful, my dealership has been unhelpful and the end is nowhere in sight for me.

I want to express that I am brand loyal. I had a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5 7 hemi, after I had a 2016 Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi.

My 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn i purchased from Shaker Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram certified pre owned has had nothing but problems, and I feel as if I have been scammed out of my money - $36,500 to be exact.

I purchased the vehicle in July 2022 with 60k miles. The truck had slight electrical issues from the start, and the dealership was unhelpful and not communicative. These electrical gremlins were brief and the truck operated perfectly until Nov 29, 2022 when it died completely. Every light on the dash lit up, the windshield wipers started running, "dont shift out of gear until you reach location." Truck wouldn't shift. Thankfully i did not have my boat hooked up to the back of the truck when this happened. I had the truck towed to Hollywood Chrysler Jeep here in Florida.

I called the dealership: the sales manager at Shaker CJDR Nicole Cherubini and she told me "we cannot foresee issues when a truck leaves the lot and electrical problems are complicated."

Hollywood Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram here in Florida and they have been troubleshooting major electrical issues for over 2 and a 1/2 months with no solution in sight. They replaced battery, shifter, transmission valve body. I took the car for a day, and the truck died again.

I do understand the complexity of electrical systems in these trucks and now I understand the need to purchase a new vehicle in order to have proper service and customer support.

RAM customer service has been communicative but not helpful. The consensus seems to be that this truck has major electrical issues that needs more troubleshooting. My issue is that my funds are ******* in this vehicle leaving my unable to purchase a new vehicle and my business is suffering.

Hey there,

If you'd like an extra set of eyes on this, please reach out. We'd be happy to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti

Have you considered cutting your losses and trade it in?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it sounds like they are good at throwing parts at it but not trouble shooting the problem.

Could be a bad ground or a wire rubbed through and intermittently touching ground.

Grenshaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Wondering if Ram Cares ever helped? Dealing with similar issue and starting to get pissed. I only have 20k miles on mine and it won't start.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
so it has an electrical issue & they worked on the transmission valve body ??? :(

Well, i guess that is somewhat better than having the Custodian cleaning up the fuse box

Last edited:

RC Turner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Check the service history for the truck. Maybe there is a similar or same problem in its past that was never corrected. The dealer may have sold you this truck with known issues that were never resolved. Also, lemon laws may apply.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check the service history for the truck. Maybe there is a similar or same problem in its past that was never corrected. The dealer may have sold you this truck with known issues that were never resolved. Also, lemon laws may apply.
It’s a 4 year old , previously owned bought at 60,000 miles so no lemon for this .

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Finding a technician competent in diagnosing electronic / electrical issues is very challenging anywhere. Recently my daughters car had the dash / radio go dead for a few moments and then come back to life. She took it to the dealership. Two days later they told her to pick it up since they couldn't recreate the issue.

I looked at service record and the tech pulled two codes related to intermittent opens and shorts on the LIN bus between the gauges and center stack. You know how he "troubleshot" the issue? Drove around to see if it happened again.

I use to be the electronics guy at a dealership many years ago. When I got a problem like this with those codes I would refer to the x-ray diagrams of the car electrical wiring. They are in all the shop manuals. They show you the route of the wiring harnesses and what busses they carry. The areas behind the dash, inside of doors, fenders, etc. are full of sharp metal edges. 99% of the time I could find the fault by visually inspecting the harness. This does require actual work like removing dash components, door covers, etc. Rarely were these types of issues related to the components on either end of the bus. Even more rarely did I get a come-back on an electrical repair. I liked electrical work. It was pretty clean compared to most mechanical work and it was billed at time and materials since there is no flat rate listed for this type of work.

Unfortunately, the "parts replacers" look at a code and replace whatever parts might be mentioned. They don't bother to look at what is the failure mode. Hence we get "repairs" like the OP where they replace parts but the issue still exists.

Pop pop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 .Hemi
It’s a 4 year old , previously owned bought at 60,000 miles so no lemon for this .
Hi l might be able to help, l have a 2500 ram bighorn, last year when we were on are down to Dunnellon FL. My truck started to do all kinds of crazy things, the worst thing was locking in park, if l let it set for a few minutes I could hear a noise coming from behind my glove box under the hood ( PCM ) every thing would reset and off I would go hopping I could make to are comp site, we made it thank goodness, and then it died, so I opened the hood disconnected the battery waited a few minutes reconnect the battery and it started running again , well $2500.00 later and ( 2 ) AAA toe trucks and ( 2 ) transmission shops 4 days of (BS )
on the phone and are camp site time ran out and no truck to move are camper we get the call from the transmission shop , we found the problem!! Your PCM is shorted out.
They pulled the large plug on the pcm and water came running out of the socket. All of terminals were corded from the water. Long story short, replaced the pcm truck started came with two year warranty way better gas mileage shifting is back to normal. So check the terminals for water, l don’t drive in the rain when towing my 5ft wheel at all so how did the water get in there, well I don’t know about the 1500’s but on my 2500 if you look above the pcm at the Mickey Mouse water seal in the wiper trough snow catcher,you will see a cheep piece of foam rubber to help keep the water from running down on the brine of the truck ,if you at the design of the truck like l did you might find a way to keep it from getting wet,check it out it’s the dumbest place to put a PCM , l put
more foam rubber to help the water go away from the top of the PCM.
I just might spray some kind of rubber coating around or on the plugs. Good luck to all you RAM GUYS!!