Detroit Truetrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously you have never jacked your rear up to see what happens. The wheels spin in opposite direction if you don't have positraction. Good news for all of us that what a true positraction "Locker" ARB now has one available. RD259 is the part number. Good for all 4th gens! Great drivability, is an open diff when not Locked.
My statement was regarding the operation of the differentials when actually driving down the road and being powered through the vehicle (driveshaft). If you spin the driveshaft going into the axle, either by engine power or by hand with the vehicle sitting up on a lift or something) you will never have the tires spin opposite directions. The only time this will happen is if you spin one of the tires by hand, if both are off the ground.
To expand on this, not all "posi's" will cause both tires to spin in the same direction (again, if both tires are off the ground and you are spinning one of the tires by hand). Torsen or helical gear limited slips, like the True Trac, will NOT spin both tires the same direction when in the air and you spin one of the tires by hand. This is just like an open diff. Many other styles of limited slip diffs are also like this including the Gov-lock differential that is a common option in Chevy trucks. Only certain style of differentials with preloaded (i.e. usually spring pressure) clutch packs will spin both tires in the same direction.
By the way, I worked as a powertrain durability engineer for years and have built several differentials using several different types of "posi's" or lockers. In my garage there are currently 4 vehicles with some sort of locking or "posi"....everything from a spool, welded diff, "lunch box locker", torsen limited slip, and selectable lockers.

Diablo2doorram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My statement was regarding the operation of the differentials when actually driving down the road and being powered through the vehicle (driveshaft). If you spin the driveshaft going into the axle, either by engine power or by hand with the vehicle sitting up on a lift or something) you will never have the tires spin opposite directions. The only time this will happen is if you spin one of the tires by hand, if both are off the ground.
To expand on this, not all "posi's" will cause both tires to spin in the same direction (again, if both tires are off the ground and you are spinning one of the tires by hand). Torsen or helical gear limited slips, like the True Trac, will NOT spin both tires the same direction when in the air and you spin one of the tires by hand. This is just like an open diff. Many other styles of limited slip diffs are also like this including the Gov-lock differential that is a common option in Chevy trucks. Only certain style of differentials with preloaded (i.e. usually spring pressure) clutch packs will spin both tires in the same direction.
By the way, I worked as a powertrain durability engineer for years and have built several differentials using several different types of "posi's" or lockers. In my garage there are currently 4 vehicles with some sort of locking or "posi"....everything from a spool, welded diff, "lunch box locker", torsen limited slip, and selectable lockers.
Excellent write up Sir, you have my respect!