Dial shifter got me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I liked the column shift on my 03 SLT QC, sans console, because in a pinch I could seat three across the front seat, and the fold down "office/arm rest was cool enough already. The 2018 sport is nice (and I can't/won't get rid of the console/storage box up front), but the feeling of "leg room" is sort gone with the compartmentalizing of the front seats with the console divider.
Well, I can’t say that I feel your pain. You can’t have both so your only choice is to pick one and be happy with it. You can’t really complain about not having legroom for storage space, and you can’t complain for not having storage space for legroom for a third person. There’s no way that will ever have a chance to make sense.

The other slight down side to the rotary shifter is the "fly by wire delay". When you want to shift "right freaking now"....that micro delay starts feeling really really long sometimes.

T.

I’ve noticed that too but it’s really no big deal. Who knows, maybe they made it that way on purpose so that you won’t have to worry about lightning-quick responses to accidental undesired gear selections because that knob is so easy to turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It feels great when you shift it, sounds stupid being a knob but you really can feel the difference between the aluminum and oem plastic. It’s something you use every day you drive it so I consider it a useful upgrade.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It feels great when you shift it, sounds stupid being a knob but you really can feel the difference between the aluminum and oem plastic.

I really wish I could figure out beforehand whether or not if I could substitute that B&M logo cover for one of those decals that you can use on the OEM knob, before I actually buy one but, I may just have to go ahead and buy the knob anyway and take my chances.

OP
OP
22hemi13

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I really wish I could figure out beforehand whether or not if I could substitute that B&M logo cover for one of those decals that you can use on the OEM knob, before I actually buy one but, I may just have to go ahead and buy the knob anyway and take my chances.

If you want a sticker. The guy that I get mine from can make any size. You just gotta give him the measurements.

B366BE35-02A0-4523-A820-C62ABAF335DA.jpeg

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It feels great when you shift it, sounds stupid being a knob but you really can feel the difference between the aluminum and oem plastic. It’s something you use every day you drive it so I consider it a useful upgrade.

The knob in my Laramie feels pretty solid and much heavier than the a/c or volume knobs. It's a metal look, not sure if real or not. If real it's probably just a cover. Something like this one.

shifter-knob.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dunno why people get hung up on the logo, it’s so low you never see it. I see “ALPINE” in my center dash view and I see “BOSCH” stamped on my wiper arms more than anything

Maybe perhaps because I have an Alpine stereo and I have Bosch wiper blades. I don’t however have anything B&M on my truck..... well, except for the shifter knob....when it gets here in a few days...[emoji41]......Yeah, I broke down and ordered one today.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The knob in my Laramie feels pretty solid and much heavier than the a/c or volume knobs. It's a metal look, not sure if real or not. If real it's probably just a cover. Something like this one.

shifter-knob.jpg

I had that same knob, it now resides in a storage cabinet

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I can’t say that I feel your pain. You can’t have both so your only choice is to pick one and be happy with it. You can’t really complain about not having legroom for storage space, and you can’t complain for not having storage space for legroom for a third person. There’s no way that will ever have a chance to make sense.

I’ve noticed that too but it’s really no big deal. Who knows, maybe they made it that way on purpose so that you won’t have to worry about lightning-quick responses to accidental undesired gear selections because that knob is so easy to turn.

No pain here Corn, just talking is all. Human nature, resistance to change. Just getting use to the new way of doing things again. Sorta reminds me of when Chrysler went to that push button trans technology back in the 60's? I think rather short lived before they returned to column shift and console shift. I guess that the rotary technology/fly by wire works better for the "paddle shifter" thing.

Just remembered a related story: My neighbor drives a 2012 (I think) Chrysler 300 with console shifter. It's a racheting type that returns to the center off position once you gear is selected. He rolled it in the garage door when he thought it was in park. This was going on when the Checkov (Star Trek) star got pinned by his Jeep Cheroke. Lucky for my neighbor it only cost him a garage door. No damage to the car.

Re: trans select delay: You may be right on that one. But with all the inter-locks related to gear selection and "door open/auto park selections and such it just makes me wonder is all. Again...just idle chit chat here is all.

T.

Last edited:

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lmao. I have one with and without that I am constantly driving interchangeably. I can't acclimate, don't know how many times I have grabbed air or the opposite, stubbed my finger on the bezel!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lmao. I have one with and without that I am constantly driving interchangeably. I can't acclimate, don't know how many times I have grabbed air or the opposite, stubbed my finger on the bezel!
Just be real careful “acclimating” to the other glaring differences between the two...like bumping over a ditch or hanging a corner at 80mph with those murdered beasts!!

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just be real careful “acclimating” to the other glaring differences between the two...like bumping over a ditch or hanging a corner at 80mph with those murdered beasts!!

Yeah, about that. Lol if you have checked out my ST build threat lately!

wesplains

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How easy/hard is it to change the knob? Any dos or don'ts?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Dodge! If you're listening, Take the Auto Stick and put it into the 1500 Ram, and I WILL buy one.

But until then, I am perfectly satisfied with my ancient, antique 410 hp, 410 lb ft, 4.10 geared '11 with the beloved Slap Stick.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Dodge! If you're listening, Take the Auto Stick and put it into the 1500 Ram, and I WILL buy one.

But until then, I am perfectly satisfied with my ancient, antique 410 hp, 410 lb ft, 4.10 geared '11 with the beloved Slap Stick.

I guess that’d be fine. I already bought my 2018 with the rotary dial instead of a mini-van or compact car console shifter so they can do whatever they want. I hope to not be buying a new vehicle until another 8, 9 years goes by.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I get in my truck. Crank it to drive (highest fan speed) and give Er! lol.

Stupid dial. f8e649fe2202c3e37b8afc630be6ac42.jpg

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I get in my truck. Crank it to drive (highest fan speed) and give Er! lol
Add the Auto Temperature Control and then you don't have to adjust the fan...lol

OP
OP
22hemi13

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Add the Auto Temperature Control and then you don't have to adjust the fan...lol
Ya know. This is one feature I really don’t like. I just turn on max and let her rip. Although it’s hot here in az lol. But I feel like it just don’t work as well as id like. Maybe once the weather is not 103+ I’ll like it better.