Diesel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Which is more problematic, the regular diesel or the HO for the 1 ton? My 6.4 did fairly ok through the mountains but if I start doing more trips through the mountains, may upgrade. Won’t be until next year if I do upgrade. Just starting to do my research. Used to own a 2000 1 ton with a Cummins so know a little about the diesels. Appreciate any information. Thanks.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Only real difference you are looking at is choice of transmission between the 2. SO comes with a 68RFE, HO comes with a Aisin

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Which is more problematic, the regular diesel or the HO for the 1 ton?
Excluding the stupid move of putting a CP4 high-pressure fuel pump on a couple of model years, both versions are issue free from what I can tell. Mine is a 2015 SO and zero issues.

I think the current issue is the device they switched to to control the grid heater but I haven't been following that one.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No difference in the engines.

The high output gets the aisin transmission, which is worth the upcharge IMO

OP
OP
B

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the quick replies. Still not happy Ram is still on a 6 speed while GM and Ford are using 10 speeds. But I do love the Cummins. Don’t like ford so may look at GM when the time comes to start shopping. Presume the Allison 10 speed really jacks up the price.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Still not happy Ram is still on a 6 speed while GM and Ford are using 10 speeds. But I do love the Cummins.
Ram has been R&D a ZF 8 spd for behind the Cummins, speculation it will hit the HD trucks when the body gets updated.

OP
OP
B

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 8 speed in my current truck is awesome. Handles my 10,000 lb 5th wheel with easy on flat lands. Did fairly well going to Colorado a few weeks back. But, it had its moments on real high grades. Overall it did the job. Have met folks driving a Chevy with the 10 speed Allison and was told it pulled there bigger than my 5th wheel up steep hills with ease. Being a X truck drive, toying with getting a used rig too.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the quick replies. Still not happy Ram is still on a 6 speed while GM and Ford are using 10 speeds. But I do love the Cummins. Don’t like ford so may look at GM when the time comes to start shopping. Presume the Allison 10 speed really jacks up the price.
If you've ever owned that Ford 10-spd (which was developed in partnership with GM), you wouldn't be saying that. That 10 speed, at least behind gas motors, doesn't seem to hold up well.

Got my wife out of her 2019 F150 mostly because the transmission would 'hang' between 1st and 3rd gear (the skip-shift it does while empty) with increasing frequency at 60k miles. It would hit the shift point and just...hang...before slamming into 3rd. This wasn't under heavy load or heavy acceleration either.

My FIL's 2022 F250 (7.3 gasser) started developing the same issue at around 25k, which is why he now has a 2023 6.7 Powerstroke - I'm still nervous that he'll have issues but not my monkey not my circus.

I'll take this proven-out 6 speed over that 10 speed any day.

I can't speak to the Allison, but they've been building transmissions for decades...I would think they have their act together.

I haven't heard any issues from the Ram's 8-speed, so I'm hopeful my wife's new truck will be trouble-free.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you've ever owned that Ford 10-spd (which was developed in partnership with GM), you wouldn't be saying that. That 10 speed, at least behind gas motors, doesn't seem to hold up well.

Got my wife out of her 2019 F150 mostly because the transmission would 'hang' between 1st and 3rd gear (the skip-shift it does while empty) with increasing frequency at 60k miles. It would hit the shift point and just...hang...before slamming into 3rd. This wasn't under heavy load or heavy acceleration either.

My FIL's 2022 F250 (7.3 gasser) started developing the same issue at around 25k, which is why he now has a 2023 6.7 Powerstroke - I'm still nervous that he'll have issues but not my monkey not my circus.

I'll take this proven-out 6 speed over that 10 speed any day.

I can't speak to the Allison, but they've been building transmissions for decades...I would think they have their act together.

I haven't heard any issues from the Ram's 8-speed, so I'm hopeful my wife's new truck will be trouble-free.
THIS!

Thank Ram for holding onto the 6 speed for so long. I don't have experience with the Aisin, but the 68RFE was a solid transmission in both my HD trucks.

The 10 speeds (at least in the light duty vehicles) in the Fords are absolute garbage. I won't repeat the saga with the 10-spd in my wife's previous 2019 Expedition here, but it did the same thing your wife's did until it grenaded itself at 80k miles.

I've had the 8 speed in a 2014 Durango, a 2019 Charger R/T, and my current 18 Ram and they've been solid thus far. I would assume that if/when Ram decides to install a version in the cummins that it will hold up ok (after a few model years).

OP
OP
B

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had a 2014 Ram half ton with the 8 speed. Did fairly well. Top 2 gears were overdrives. Did get 21 mpg on one occasion . Then bumped up to a 2017 3/4 ton with 6 speed. Ok on flat land but not so good on hills. This 8 speed in my 1 ton does a good job. Just hope it doesn’t have issues as it gets older if I decide to keep it. 25000 miles so far. Best mpg was 17. Not bad for a 1 ton when not towing. Still have to consider a diesel if I’ll be driving over the mountains more often. Thanks everyone for your replies.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The 10 speeds (at least in the light duty vehicles) in the Fords are absolute garbage.
Both Ford and GM have pending lawsuits for their 10 spd transmissions. It's the one they co-developed after ZF basically told Ford it wouldn't develop a 10 spd for them.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
HO engine has more HP & TQ than the SO engine, outside of the 2022 snap ring problems the Aisin has fewer problems then the 68rfe....
The only complaint I had on the Aisin was the shift point between 2 and 3 gear. It was a little harsh, especially if trying to accelerate hard at the same time as the shift. Otherwise, the truck was a beast.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Both Ford and GM have pending lawsuits for their 10 spd transmissions. It's the one they co-developed after ZF basically told Ford it wouldn't develop a 10 spd for them.
I would have gotten in on it if we hadn't dumped the Expedition and took such a huge bath... The Ford customer service rep told me about it when he was working through our issues. But we needed a reliable vehicle so we sold it to the dealership and walked away. Cost me $14k to walk away from it. Best money I ever spent.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
HO engine has more HP & TQ than the SO engine, outside of the 2022 snap ring problems the Aisin has fewer problems then the 68rfe....

What problems does the 68rfe have over the aisin?

Just pulled my 9k travel trailer up some steep steep stuff 2 weekends ago and pull through mountains often. My truck had 0 issues and transmission never went above 168 temps, even pulling up the steepest grades.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What problems does the 68rfe have over the aisin?

Just pulled my 9k travel trailer up some steep steep stuff 2 weekends ago and pull through mountains often. My truck had 0 issues and transmission never went above 168 temps, even pulling up the steepest grades.

None, but it has a bad reputation because everyone tunes their truck, runs +150HP, drives like a teenager then it fails and they complain what a piece of crap it is. On a stock truck it's very reliable and has good driving manners.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Did you ever see those 50K pound plus motor homes steaming down the highways pulling a toad? They still run Allison 6 speeds.
Ram has been R&D a ZF 8 spd for behind the Cummins, speculation it will hit the HD trucks when the body gets updated.
Take this as you will but my son (I have five and two are in automotive) worked for ZF until a few weeks ago. I asked him about the long-rumored ZF behind the Cummins and he said it isn't happening. I asked him what will be the next transmission to compete with their rivals, he didn't know but would ask around. He, for a while, worked at Chrysler powertrain in the diesel group.

I hope the ZF 8-speed finds its way behind a Cummins, I do like the tranny and it doesn't seem to have issues, unlike the complaints you see about the Ford/GM 10-speed. I have the 68RFE behind the Cummins in my 3500 and I have zero complaints with it, towing heavy or unloaded, it does the job.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
None, but it has a bad reputation because everyone tunes their truck, runs +150HP, drives like a teenager then it fails and they complain what a piece of crap it is. On a stock truck it's very reliable and has good driving manners.

That's good to hear, since I just picked up my leftover '22 2500 with the CTD. It shifts smoother than anything I've ever driven, towing, hauling, or empty. And honestly, I'll admit my drive to work is all rural highway so top speed limit is 55, and my DIC average is sitting about 23.5 mpg, consistently I see instantaneous pushing 30, so I'm not at all upset with not having more gears for it to choose from.

Of course, I've only just broke 3k miles...so we will see where things go from here.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will parrot what others have said about the 68RFE. They are super reliable transmissions if you don't turn up the HP/TQ on the truck.

Drive it with some common sense and it will not let you down. If you want to add HP, then you'll need to build the trans to match.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Then I should have no problem with mine. Only thing I have done to the truck is add the banks pedal monster to get rid of the dead pedal. I will say, it took some getting used to and the computer definitely had to relearn the "new" driving habits since it brings power in much sooner. After about a week of driving, it is back to how it felt with just a much better feeling pedal. But 5mph above speed limit is as fast as my truck goes and even though its a diesel, I still baby the towing. Take care of it, and hopefully it takes care of me for a long long time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley