disable auto park, can it be done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just verified my new 18 truck does this also. Guess there were too many people getting run over by their own vehicle. (My 13 ram didn't do this).

I can certainly see people being irritated about this, especially some of the tradesman trucks without backup camera and ParkSense.

M² Mods.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very strange, I just put it in reverse, no seatbelt, opened door and rolled it back out of parking stall. Put it in drive, opened door and rolled it foreward about 30 ft.
Only thing I have done is silence the seatbelt chime
I use mirrors but my 17 doesn't autopark!?

The auto park feature was added sometime in 2017 I believe. My 2017 won't auto park either.

I do open the door to back up on occasion when I am ignoring my park sense in order to back up as close to the cement wall in the parkade as I can so my truck doesn't stick out. Sometimes when I am hooking up the travel trailer too. I can see how it would annoy some people.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Before you buy your truck the salesman looks you over real good and at that point decides wether you need this feature or not. :)
If you believe this then you need it.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
There was another thread about this some time ago, and there was no rhyme or reason to who had it and who didn't... wtf.

Bet your ass there is no easy way to turn it off, if you could at all. If they put it in the truck it's there so they don't get sued by the family of some dunce who walked away from a vehicle that wasn't in P.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
… some dunce who walked away from a vehicle that wasn't in P.

I've been that dunce a couple times, getting out with the vehicle in drive. I also left my car running in the driveway once.

I like "autopark" and other safety features because sometimes I'm on "autopilot" myself.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Driving a car has become a second, third or fourth priority for attention. It is not safe. And they wonder why deaths related to driving keep going up and up. I saw where some “study” said it’s because more people are buying “BIG HEAVY SUVs and pickups”... so dangerous. But I guess has nothing to do with people not paying attention to what they are doing when behind the wheel? It's easy to not hold ourselves responsible and just blame the vehicle itself, of course. Auto manufacturers will have to implement these features. Because people suing them for their mistake is a joke.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is why cars have added safety features... Lane departure warnings, fatigued driver alerts, blind spot warning, backup cameras, bumper proximity sensors, anti-lock brakes, airbags, emergency auto braking.

Your argument is against adding safety features, perhaps you are better than all these features, but I'll tell you what, I do not wish for the "good ole days", I like progress...

Last edited by a moderator:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I like the abs and the rear camera when I hook up a trailer. Apart from that the good old days are great with me.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
This is why cars have added safety features... Lane departure warnings, fatigued driver alerts, blind spot warning, backup cameras, bumper proximity sensors, anti-lock brakes, airbags, emergency auto braking.

Your argument is against adding safety features, perhaps you are better than all these features, but I'll tell you what, I do not wish for the "good ole days", I like progress...

All those so called "safety features" are in place because way to many people cant drive or choose not to pay attention while driving.(reading,texting and so forth)
If people would learn to drive and pay attention none of those features would be needed.

Idiocracy is at work.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All those so called "safety features" are in place because way to many people cant drive or choose not to pay attention while driving.(reading,texting and so forth)
If people would learn to drive and pay attention none of those features would be needed.

Idiocracy is at work.

Or... Mistakes happen, and they are in place to save lives. If everyone drove perfectly, and paid attention, we wouldn't need seat belts, should we take them out?

I'm all for safety features, and not just for the rich (most safety features trickle down from high end cars, for example almost every modern safety feature come from S Class Mercedes Benz).

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Or... Mistakes happen, and they are in place to save lives. If everyone drove perfectly, and paid attention, we wouldn't need seat belts, should we take them out?

I'm all for safety features, and not just for the rich (most safety features trickle down from high end cars, for example almost every modern safety feature come from S Class Mercedes Benz).
Airbags were ford followed by GM, blind spot assist was Volvo while ford owned them. Seatbelts and turn signals are debateable, but not Mercedes. Mercedes is ahead in cool gadgets. We can thank their brief ownership of ram for our nicer interiors and heated steering wheels though. Just like we can thank fiat for our misaligned body panels and interior rattles. I spent more last year on fixing optional safety equipment so I wouldn't be annoyed by the warning chimes than anything else on my vehicles. Over 25 years including 10 doing service work talking on my phone in a service truck pulling a trailer in the city with a manual transmission in a major city dodging idiots without a single accident with none of these things because I look where I'm going and pay attention to the drivers around me. I think defensive driving courses including emergency braking and skid recovery should be mandatory for all drivers as far as safety goes. These electronic nannies just make people coplacant and when they fail auto makers will get sued because of it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp

Seat belts and air bags ARE a safety feature, the others are made for people that do not pay attention or need to take a driving course and be taught to drive.

I drive a 26' hot shot box truck and do 300 to 400 miles a day and can not believe the **** I see on a day basis.

Its crazy out there, driving defensive is the only way to get by.
This is no **** I had a guy allmost hit me head on this morning, yeah guess what he was texting.....

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Airbags were ford followed by GM, blind spot assist was Volvo while ford owned them. Seatbelts and turn signals are debateable, but not Mercedes. Mercedes is ahead in cool gadgets. We can thank their brief ownership of ram for our nicer interiors and heated steering wheels though. Just like we can thank fiat for our misaligned body panels and interior rattles. I spent more last year on fixing optional safety equipment so I wouldn't be annoyed by the warning chimes than anything else on my vehicles. Over 25 years including 10 doing service work talking on my phone in a service truck pulling a trailer in the city with a manual transmission in a major city dodging idiots without a single accident with none of these things because I look where I'm going and pay attention to the drivers around me. I think defensive driving courses including emergency braking and skid recovery should be mandatory for all drivers as far as safety goes. These electronic nannies just make people coplacant and when they fail auto makers will get sued because of it.

I didn't say developed/invented, but they were the first to make these safety features standard equipment. Initially they are too expensive to make it down to the Honda civic's, but after time they do trickle down to them, they only come quicker if there is a government mandate (like backup cameras being mandated in 2018).

The MB S class was the first production to make standard airbags (steering wheel & side and seat), 3 point seat belts, anti-lock brakes, and several other safety features. If I remember correctly (I could be wrong) the S class was the first vehicle to make adaptive cruse control standard, parking sensors, and blind spot sensors.

My 1985 S class has heated side view mirrors, an air bag, catalytic converter with an O2 sensor, and 4 wheel disc brakes which are anti-lock. I wont go into non-safety comfort options that were standard in the 80's that are just catching up in others today.